NDP returned $344,468 in advertising income

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
after Conservatives complained to Elections Canada

OTTAWA—The federal New Democrats returned more than $340,000 in advertising revenue received over six years following a Conservative party complaint to Elections Canada about union logos at a Vancouver policy convention, the Star has learned.

The Star obtained internal party documents showing the federal NDP returned a total of $344,468 — including GST — in advertising revenues from eight unions and seven other organizations, received at three separate policy conventions. The funds were returned in April and May.

The amount includes $40,860 at the 2006 convention in Quebec City, $102,500 from the 2009 convention in Halifax and $201,108 at the Vancouver convention last year.

Elections Canada said earlier this year the NDP had violated political financing laws by accepting an unspecified amount in sponsorships from unions at the Vancouver convention in June 2011, saying those sponsorships fall under the rules that ban donations from unions and corporations.

more

NDP returned $344,468 in advertising income after Conservatives complained to Elections Canada - thestar.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Manipulation of the Election Laws should NOT be tollerated. I find it amazing,, if not humorous that the Tories needed to initiate this investigation and closure of the findings (Guilty).

The NDP needs an education as to "Why" we have election laws...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Manipulation of the Election Laws should NOT be tollerated. I find it amazing,, if not humorous that the Tories needed to initiate this investigation and closure of the findings (Guilty).

The NDP needs an education as to "Why" we have election laws...
Maybe when Harpo learns to play well in the sandbox?

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
When its NOT the Tories that haveto force transparency and accountability onto the NDP, I will maybe open my ears to the other parties. I, as a voter, deserve a fair, open and transparent electroral system.. What the NDP brought to the process was the opposite. Shame on them...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When its NOT the Tories that haveto force transparency and accountability onto the NDP, I will maybe open my ears to the other parties. I, as a voter, deserve a fair, open and transparent electroral system.. What the NDP brought to the process was the opposite. Shame on them...
There's shame enough for all of them. Tories just have the bigger burden based on numbers alone

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Who will force transparency on the Tories?

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
after Conservatives complained to Elections Canada

OTTAWA—The federal New Democrats returned more than $340,000 in advertising revenue received over six years following a Conservative party complaint to Elections Canada about union logos at a Vancouver policy convention, the Star has learned.

The Star obtained internal party documents showing the federal NDP returned a total of $344,468 — including GST — in advertising revenues from eight unions and seven other organizations, received at three separate policy conventions. The funds were returned in April and May.

The amount includes $40,860 at the 2006 convention in Quebec City, $102,500 from the 2009 convention in Halifax and $201,108 at the Vancouver convention last year.

Elections Canada said earlier this year the NDP had violated political financing laws by accepting an unspecified amount in sponsorships from unions at the Vancouver convention in June 2011, saying those sponsorships fall under the rules that ban donations from unions and corporations.

more

NDP returned $344,468 in advertising income after Conservatives complained to Elections Canada - thestar.com
Our election financing laws treat unions the same as we do corporations.
If Barrick Gold, or Coca-Cola was sponsoring the Conservatives convention, I am sure the NDP would have made an outcry.

It does seem somewhat baffling that the NDP were unable to recognize that this sort of sponsorship is clearly wrong.
Fortunately, they have elected Mulcair as the new leader, who seems less inclined to pander to big unions than his rivals and predecessors.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Our election financing laws treat unions the same as we do corporations.
If Barrick Gold, or Coca-Cola was sponsoring the Conservatives convention, I am sure the NDP would have made an outcry.

It does seem somewhat baffling that the NDP were unable to recognize that this sort of sponsorship is clearly wrong.
Fortunately, they have elected Mulcair as the new leader, who seems less inclined to pander to big unions than his rivals and predecessors.

Don't forget that this is the party that steals from charity to finance their propaganda machine.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Why so much hatred against the NDP?

Why does it have to be "Hatred" to disagree with someone else-whether it be a Political party, a Boss, a Co-worker, a "friend" or a relative?

One of the problems with our society is that we have become a nation that rushes to anger and does not allow varying opinions.

Regardless of what so many tout as their belief, there are few you actually believe in the tenants of Democrocy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why does it have to be "Hatred" to disagree with someone else-whether it be a Political party, a Boss, a Co-worker, a "friend" or a relative?

One of the problems with our society is that we have become a nation that rushes to anger and does not allow varying opinions.

Regardless of what so many tout as their belief, there are few you actually believe in the tenants of Democrocy.

You have that absolutely right..............it seems agreeing or disagreeing has a lot to do with like or dislike. Does being disagreed with threaten our security or something? It's like I said before, two people standing 500' apart looking at an object see two different things.