Jack Layton remembered as 'beacon' of hope

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Jack Layton seized the moment something few politicians do these days.
Jack became Mr. Canada as it were in the form of a public image. He is
someone who put his position forward and agree or not people liked him.
Many Tories have been heard to say the guy was someone who was
interesting to talk to. He was always prepared to engage people and even
at a gathering he was not afraid to pitch in and do his share of organizing or
cleanup.
No he was not in office as PM or Premier or even the Mayor of a city. He
somehow ended up more than that. He became a statesman and that is not
easy to do. The title of statesman status is rarely granted in Canadian society.
Jack is one of those people who earned it.
Here is a personal story. I was travelling from Ottawa to Vancouver one afternoon
late in the week. There were Tory Cabinet Ministers and our local MP for Kelowna.
Jack was sitting in the back with us regular folks and all of a sudden we saw Ron
Cannan come back. He was in first class. He whispered something to Jack and
they traded places so Layton could go talk politics with his opponents, they liked
him. In today's political arena that is rare.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You don't have to like his politics but he actually cared about this country, not just the corporate bastards like Bell etc.

I fired Bell a month ago. Now with the other cartel member. Still feel like a dirty whoare but I'm getting over it a day at a time. Allah be praised.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Jack Layton seized the moment something few politicians do these days.
Jack became Mr. Canada as it were in the form of a public image. He is
someone who put his position forward and agree or not people liked him.
Many Tories have been heard to say the guy was someone who was
interesting to talk to. He was always prepared to engage people and even
at a gathering he was not afraid to pitch in and do his share of organizing or
cleanup.
No he was not in office as PM or Premier or even the Mayor of a city. He
somehow ended up more than that. He became a statesman and that is not
easy to do. The title of statesman status is rarely granted in Canadian society.
Jack is one of those people who earned it.
Here is a personal story. I was travelling from Ottawa to Vancouver one afternoon
late in the week. There were Tory Cabinet Ministers and our local MP for Kelowna.
Jack was sitting in the back with us regular folks and all of a sudden we saw Ron
Cannan come back. He was in first class. He whispered something to Jack and
they traded places so Layton could go talk politics with his opponents, they liked
him. In today's political arena that is rare.

Kudos, DG............though never an NDP supporter, I always did like Jack and believed him to be that other oft-quoted but seldom true term - a man of the people and in his case, for the people too.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I fired Bell a month ago. Now with the other cartel member. Still feel like a dirty whoare but I'm getting over it a day at a time. Allah be praised.

You can't get away from either of the two. It's disgusting that their duopoly is supported by Canadian law. yeah, it's a good thing we pay the most for internet, wireless and TV in the modern world. They own the pipelines, the media and the content creators. We're ****ed.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
You don't have to like his politics but he actually cared about this country, not just the corporate bastards like Bell etc.

Id agree with that. Even with the parties I disagree with politically I do believe they all do want to do what they believe is best for Canada. Well, separatist parties aside. Some may have horrible ideas but I would never question their patriotism.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Jack Layton memorial statue unveiled

Layton’s son Mike also spoke at the ceremony and said the tandem bike is symbolic of his father’s approach to politics.

“A tandem bike requires trust,” said Layton. “Trust in your partner and trust in others. The journey requires you to work together. He collaborated with others in his job and he had fun through it all.”

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said he will forever remember how Layton helped him when the two sat in adjacent council seats in the years when Ford was a rookie councillor.

“Although we had different political views, Jack was always kind, respectful and helpful to me,” said Ford. “He showed me the ropes and taught me an important lesson when he said ‘Rob, don’t take things personally. It’s just politics.’”

Jack Layton memorial statue unveiled - Toronto - CBC News

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I really, really, really would like to attach an identification plaque:

ST. JACK OF THE HAPPY ENDING

Yup... The Patron Saint of Fluffers

I really did not dislike Layton, but this cult of personality is sickening.

Buddy was all show and no substance... Reminded me of the politicians portrayed in movies that campaigned from the back of a train promising everything to everyone... An individual so hyper-idealistic that his policies were either impossible or outright ridiculous