Mulcair touts oilsands as ‘important’ resource

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
NDP leader Thomas Mulcair is touting the benefits of Canada’s “important” oil resources, but he said the federal government needs to work hard on supporting spinoff jobs and ensuring proper environmental protection.

In a radio interview Saturday, Mulcair suggested that efforts to add new refining jobs in Canada would become a “win-win” situation for the oilsands industry and the rest of the country.

“But I think that overall, the idea of adding the value in Canada, developing, upgrading, processing, refining, our own natural resources is a good one,” Mulcair told the CBC’s weekly politics show, The House.

“That’s what we should be working on together.”

Mulcair made the comments after a British Columbia newspaper publisher, David Black, pitched a proposal to build a $13-billion refinery near Kitimat, B.C., to process the heavy oil from Alberta that would be shipped through the Northern Gateway pipeline proposed by Enbridge.

Read more: Mulcair touts oilsands as

Neckbeard has spoken.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
NDP leader Thomas Mulcair is touting the benefits of Canada’s “important” oil resources, but he said the federal government needs to work hard on supporting spinoff jobs and ensuring proper environmental protection.

In a radio interview Saturday, Mulcair suggested that efforts to add new refining jobs in Canada would become a “win-win” situation for the oilsands industry and the rest of the country.

“But I think that overall, the idea of adding the value in Canada, developing, upgrading, processing, refining, our own natural resources is a good one,” Mulcair told the CBC’s weekly politics show, The House.

“That’s what we should be working on together.”

Mulcair made the comments after a British Columbia newspaper publisher, David Black, pitched a proposal to build a $13-billion refinery near Kitimat, B.C., to process the heavy oil from Alberta that would be shipped through the Northern Gateway pipeline proposed by Enbridge.

Neckbeard has spoken.

I don't think that guy knows whether his ass is punched, bored or chewed out by the termites!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Mulcair did not say we should shut it down as originally put forth.
He did say it was environmentally ugly. He took up Redford's request to
go there and he did.
The position is consistent with many Canadians, more and more citizens want
no more export of raw materials. Value Added is what we need and looking
after Canadian needs first should be the objective. We could improve our whole
economic picture if we used domestic product rather than importing oil from
Europe, South America or the Middle East. We already have product why should
we export what we need and import from someone else at high prices?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"In a radio interview Saturday, Mulcair suggested that efforts to add new refining jobs in Canada would become a “win-win” situation for the oilsands industry and the rest of the country."

Geeze, Mr Mulcair might want to pass along that sentiment to his provincial counterparts. Especially in Ontario.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually Mulcair did not say we should shut it down as originally put forth.
He did say it was environmentally ugly. He took up Redford's request to
go there and he did.
The position is consistent with many Canadians, more and more citizens want
no more export of raw materials. Value Added is what we need and looking
after Canadian needs first should be the objective. We could improve our whole
economic picture if we used domestic product rather than importing oil from
Europe, South America or the Middle East. We already have product why should
we export what we need and import from someone else at high prices?

Added value would be excellent if we can find a buyer at our prices.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Re: Mulcair touts oilsands as ‘important’ resource

Added value would be excellent if we can find a buyer at our prices.

One thing is for sure, as long as we only receive what the buyers want to pay we will not make profits.

It was interesting to read the last bit of the op link.

Mulcair suggested that the government was taking economic risks by failing to enforce existing environmental laws that could force companies to avoid environmental damage caused by development.

“So instead of making the companies change their practices to respect the law, Mr. Harper is changing the laws to make it correspond to the practices,” Mulcair said. “That’s been his approach.”

That sounds remarkably like what I see happening.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And none of this means didley squat if we can't haul it out of Kitimat by boat!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Instead of loading the oil onto boats why not just build a pipe through Alaska, under the Being Sea, down the coat of Russia to CHina. Problem solved. China gets to buy our oil, Alberta rakes in the loot and all the loonies in BC won't have to worry about getting any real jobs.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Instead of loading the oil onto boats why not just build a pipe through Alaska, under the Being Sea, down the coat of Russia to CHina. Problem solved. China gets to buy our oil, Alberta rakes in the loot and all the loonies in BC won't have to worry about getting any real jobs.
Cheaper to build a pipeline to Churchill I think,nice and close to China.
Lots of Sask. oil coming into play now also,just got a call this morning to come to Regina,make $42.00 an hour,hundreds of kilometers of jobs just got awarded and it,s all oil.

He was pretty excited,he makes $1100.00 a day as a spread boss.
That's about a $400.00 a day raise from what he was making in Alberta as a spread.

I'm sure glad B.C. is not the only option.

Lot's of action in the patch, juniors are getting bought up all over the place!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The Muclair flip flop... lol who would have guessed.. now he likes the Alberta tar sands, or the potential Alberta vote..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
exactly.. lol

...and I'm sure his flop flops are a little ripe too.

Trust me when I say in another year they will all be salivating for some of that oil cash,I always say if they want it then come get it,come work months at a time away from home and family in the mud and the crud because it's not easy money most of the time.

I'm on day 19 five hours away from home in a dingy little motel.
Lots of peeps from all over Canada staying here and working pipeline,kinda nice to see!
I have 90 leases to put back! niiiice.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Excellent idea but you are getting further and further from China (unless you are going to take the eastern route or maybe the polar route)
I posted the map a few weeks ago and its actually a shorter route and Churchill is pushing this port,you have to go to their website to see what the port authority is doing,they have highway,rail and boat access and can ship some stuff cheaper from the states to Russia or China then from the USA.

And they are not pulling the greed card,they honestly want the business and jobs,way to go Manitoba!
I was born in Winterpeg! :)

Last edited:

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Mulciar is n glue... This guy has been 100% absent from any and all dealings with Canada and should simply remain that way. The idiots that voted for Jacky-boy must be shaking thier heads... And Jacky-Boy must be clawing at the roof. His comments from the grave (mulcairs) only shows that Steve Harper has ZERO opposition and that the Majority of Canadians were correct and right in voting him in with a Majority vote..

I was lookinf forward to "some" opposition from Mulcair but this guy has already gone the way of the doo-doo bird... OK Steve, lets see what you can get done with No opposition.. Just make it fast please...

And Mulcair? Please step asside and let a capable body take the helm...

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Mulciar is n glue... This guy has been 100% absent from any and all dealings with Canada and should simply remain that way. The idiots that voted for Jacky-boy must be shaking thier heads... And Jacky-Boy must be clawing at the roof. His comments from the grave (mulcairs) only shows that Steve Harper has ZERO opposition and that the Majority of Canadians were correct and right in voting him in with a Majority vote..

I was lookinf forward to "some" opposition from Mulcair but this guy has already gone the way of the doo-doo bird... OK Steve, lets see what you can get done with No opposition.. Just make it fast please...

And Mulcair? Please step asside and let a capable body take the helm...

Are you real? Harper was voted in by the "majority of Canadians." Were you in a drugged haze for the duration of the election?