The ‘ethnic vote’ still has no home in PQ ranks

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The ‘ethnic vote’ still has no home in PQ ranks | Full Comment | National Post

Just one more reason why First Nations would never go with Quebec if they ever separate.

Quelle direction le Québec doit-il prendre? | Parti Québécois

The ‘ethnic vote’ still has no home in PQ ranks

When Pauline Marois became leader of the Parti Québécois in 2007, one of her first acts was to introduce an “identity act” that would ban non-French speakers (including Canadian citizens) from holding public office, or even from petitioning the Quebec legislature. In the rest of Canada, this sort of baldly unconstitutional proposal comes from no-hope third parties. In Quebec, it comes from the official opposition.

In the current provincial election campaign, Ms. Marois had a chance to elevate her message. Jean Charest, after all, had opened the door to his opponents by dragging his feet on calling a proper inquiry into the crooked quarters of the province’s construction industry. Ms. Marois might have campaigned on the theme of good government, even if she also mixed in the usual unedifying Harper-bashing and separatist propaganda.

Indeed, there is something disturbingly messianic about the PQ campaign video — and not just the over-the-top music. Toward the end, there is a scene in which Ms. Marois is depicted in slow motion, surrounded by admirers, gazing upward with an expression of hope and awe, as if some higher power had manifested itself in the heavens to deliver the true “freedom” that (she claims) Quebecers now lack.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
Of course - when they lost in 1995, Parizeau referred to "60% of us", meaning the francophones, and mentioned their loss as due to "ethnics and money".

Scratch a separatist and you'll find a white supremacist - actually, a francophone white supremacist.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Of course - when they lost in 1995, Parizeau referred to "60% of us", meaning the francophones, and mentioned their loss as due to "ethnics and money".

Scratch a separatist and you'll find a white supremacist - actually, a francophone white supremacist.
And thats why i like make others hate the PQ and all separatists,they think by imposing fremch they will save it here,and their obsession of having a country full of unilngual will never happen.

BTW when Parizeau said his retarded comment,there was a black woman behind him,i guess after that she switched side to another party.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And thats why i like make others hate the PQ and all separatists,they think by imposing fremch they will save it here,and their obsession of having a country full of unilngual will never happen.

BTW when Parizeau said his retarded comment,there was a black woman behind him,i guess after that she switched side to another party.

She and the PQ would be right at home with Le Pen from France- Oh yes Charest and the ADQ have played the same card on a number of occasions.

Appears to be a culture thing. Oh no - Now I will be called a racist.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Why in Gods name would immigrants vote for a separatist party?
On the plus side they are more inclined to support programs for
individuals and families.
The more important side is that these folks came to Canada to escape
factional fighting and endless division by race, that what separatism is
about in this case, and of course the old tribal instinct of being distinct.
When you fight your way out of that nightmare you are not really in
favor of endorsing it so you can live the nightmare again.
I would be that if the PQ did succeed the people who voted for them would
turn on them in a heartbeat, as a majority of the population.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Well i guess some of them come from french speaking nations.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Why on earth- Check the list of candidates that are running or have run for the PQ- Yes Immigrants were running as PQ candidates. Why is that so surprising.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
She would be right at home with that Le Pen freak from France

PQ to Supreme Court: Don’t bother trying to stop our religion plan | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

MONTREAL — The Parti Quebecois says it would brush off any court ruling against the constitutionality of its plan to limit religious headwear in public institutions.

The party says it wouldn’t hesitate to use the constitutional notwithstanding clause to override any legal argument that the plan violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In fact, the pro-independence party appears to relish the prospect of a fight against federal institutions. The party has already said that if it wins the Sept. 4 election it will pick battles with the federal government and use each example to argue its case for independence.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

Would you be for a political union of Canada and the US?

If you say no, does that make you a victim an old tribal instinct to be distinct?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
PQ would ban non-French speakers from running for office - Quebec Votes 2012 - CBC News

Anyone wanting to run for public office in a Quebec led by Pauline Marois will have to prove they can speak French first, the Parti Quebecois leader said as she announced her latest language-related campaign promise Tuesday.

The PQ leader said anglophones, allophones and aboriginal people will be forbidden from seeking municipal or provincial office unless they have an appropriate knowledge of French.

Marois said the idea is reasonable, given that French is the official language of Quebec.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
PQ would ban non-French speakers from running for office - Quebec Votes 2012 - CBC News

Anyone wanting to run for public office in a Quebec led by Pauline Marois will have to prove they can speak French first, the Parti Quebecois leader said as she announced her latest language-related campaign promise Tuesday.

The PQ leader said anglophones, allophones and aboriginal people will be forbidden from seeking municipal or provincial office unless they have an appropriate knowledge of French.

Marois said the idea is reasonable, given that French is the official language of Quebec.
What i find funny and stupid from the PQ,and Pauline Marois is,she dream of a country,but at the age she is now,she recently learned,or attempted to learn english,i kinda laughed when i heard all the mistakes she did when speaking english the first time.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
When Pauline Marois became leader of the Parti Québécois in 2007, one of her first acts was to introduce an “identity act” that would ban non-French speakers (including Canadian citizens) from holding public office, or even from petitioning the Quebec legislature. In the rest of Canada, this sort of baldly unconstitutional proposal comes from no-hope third parties. In Quebec, it comes from the official opposition.

Damn. Even Rene Levesque didnt go that far. As for the constitutionality - well, the notwithstanding clause sadly negates the whole constitution so she could do it. Just like they're able to keep Bill 101. That thing really shouldnt have been included.

Immigrants from french speaking countries may vote PQ. Remember when Micheale Jean got in trouble for the separatist sympathies she had earlier in life?

So next referendum the rest of us should have the right to vote on how soon Quebec leaves.

Hey! I need Quebec for cheap rent and hydro. It stays so long as I go to school in Ottawa. :p