Future farmers

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Farming, like a lot of the other potentially renewable resource sectors is in for a rough ride for those going along. Climate change is going to increase the risk year on year, of not getting crops off the fields. Around the world aquifers are being over used for irrigation to the point where they are drying up. Farmers are getting older if not old, because young people aren't interested in the work and poor wages, go figure. All the fertilizers, sprays, transportation, and farm fuel reliance on oil is about to run into peak oil results. Control of all inputs from machinery and parts to seed is becoming more and more concentrated in large corporations whose lack of interest in farmers is legendary.

And yet we may be some of the lucky ones on the planet because of our huge capacity. How many here would be willing to jump in with both feet and buy a farm?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Next to the military, farming is the most subsidized industry in USA. Dunno about Canada but if it subsidizes as much as we do, the farms will do fine.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Next to the military, farming is the most subsidized industry in USA. Dunno about Canada but if it subsidizes as much as we do, the farms will do fine.

So then it would be your considered opinion what me worry? :) :)

Yeah Canadian farmers are on their own a bit more. But it is a good point, if food gets really tight will consumers be expected to pay for it or will governments seriously cover the costs? Another factor which I didn't mention earlier but which affects farmers, just like everyone else, is the general state of our finances and the concern with government spending.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
As you say, politics will decide whether the family farm will continue to exist. No such worries for corporate farms, they will always be among society's biggest welfare recipients.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
As you say, politics will decide whether the family farm will continue to exist. No such worries for corporate farms, they will always be among society's biggest welfare recipients.

I don't know, I think that the whole structure of the corporate farm is built on the various factors which are going to cause big problems in the next ten years and on. The efficiency accepted because of the advantages of pre-peak oil, huge aquifers, massive machinery, and high tech management options and styles, and relatively easy access to cash for the last quarter century, will deteriorate as supplies of those inputs do.

I think that people will be living closer to their food, helping to produce it. More of us will probably be involved in the processing of food for ourselves and for markets. I hope the corporate structure is set aside because our food security is important to us.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
We had a thread on a similar topic just about a year ago: a lady (in Maryland, I believe) had a utility garden rather than a decorative one. She grew veggies and fruits and the town council issued a sanction because they did not approve of her garden - they thought it might attract vermin while she wanted to save a few bucks on her grocery bill. Well, they might have a point but all she need do is to box in her veggies with chicken wire to keep the naughty creatures out (that is, unless there are some gophers there).

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
We had a thread on a similar topic just about a year ago: a lady (in Maryland, I believe) had a utility garden rather than a decorative one. She grew veggies and fruits and the town council issued a sanction because they did not approve of her garden - they thought it might attract vermin while she wanted to save a few bucks on her grocery bill. Well, they might have a point but all she need do is to box in her veggies with chicken wire to keep the naughty creatures out (that is, unless there are some gophers there).

Is that a twinkle in big Als eye I see? Thanks, I'll have a look for the thread. Big controversey over yard chickens, even rabbit pens. some areas seem to be determined to stay apart from the messy side of reality.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
gopher, no we do not have subsidies for most of agriculture. We do have dairy
quotas and so on but horticulture is out in the cold. Farmers are on average
around fifty to fifty five years old. We have increased costs at every level plus
the farm safety rules, which I don't disagree with except they do not provide any
real farm safety most of it is window dressing for marketing.
Fertilizer costs and sprays are getting more expensive and we have an agricultural
land reserve in BC which means, farmland costs about a hundred thousand dollars
an acre.
Climate change is another problem but I think climate is always changing and will again.
In the next decades to come oil, water and food are the three main things in demand
and its coming fast.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'm guessing farms in one form or another will exist as long as there are people! :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The reason 60 degrees was chosen as the northern border of western provinces with the territories is because that is how far north the fed govt agronomists deemed crop capable when cleared.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think the world is at a crossroads with regards to food supply. Our world population has tripled in the last 60 years and continues to grow like rats breading.

I think the farmer of the future will be like the oil man of today.. you don't need a tank of gas, you can always walk or ride a bike... but you do need food.

Farmlands are being threatened by population growth and expanding communities..

[youtube]yxkkFfa5BD0[/youtube]

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think the world is at a crossroads with regards to food supply. Our world population has tripled in the last 60 years and continues to grow like rats breading.

I think the farmer of the future will be like the oil man of today.. you don't need a tank of gas, you can always walk or ride a bike... but you do need food.

Farmlands are being threatened by population growth and expanding communities..

[youtube]yxkkFfa5BD0[/youtube]

People are already starting to plant gardens on their roofs!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The biggest problem facing farmers and loggers(who are really just long term farmers) is politicians with their hands out.
For the right price you can turn prime farm land into a subdivision, yet some of us that have ALR land that an agrologist said doesn't even grow decent rocks can not subdivide because of a few bureaucraps with their own agenda that we can't afford to buy off.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A few weeks back I was in Victoria and talked to a couple of people in a community garden. Their biggest problem is finding tenure. They are on city land and now on the third plot as the city somehow keeps finding different uses for the lots.
Then there is a couple in Lantzville that got in trouble with the bureaucraps for selling food from their garden inside the city limits because it isn't zoned for agriculture.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A few weeks back I was in Victoria and talked to a couple of people in a community garden. Their biggest problem is finding tenure. They are on city land and now on the third plot as the city somehow keeps finding different uses for the lots.
Then there is a couple in Lantzville that got in trouble with the bureaucraps for selling food from their garden inside the city limits because it isn't zoned for agriculture.
There are a few in my neighbourhood tended by fine option types. Anyone can help themselves to free free range organic veg as it ripens.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Those are golf courses.

:) Ain't it the truth... but as damngrumpy pointed out our best farmland is getting very very expensive, and mostly because of non-agricultural uses. There is land around that could be producing that isn't, but with climate change we will be losing more crops from our southern land. Most of the northern land is marginal on account of stoniness, excess water, or frost risk.