NDP: Patronage alive and well under Conservatives

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Via sda:

Yeah...now they complain

An NDP MP doesn't like patronage appointments....

So he wants the government to revive a commission, made up of appointed members. To oversee the appointment of other folks, a commission that his party voted against when the Conservative government worked to start said commission?

Perhaps, Mr. Angus you shouldn't have abused your power when we were in a minority gov't, eh?

OTTAWA — A string of Conservative-friendly appointees to federal boards proves the government needs to bring Canada’s federal patronage watchdog back from the dead, New Democrats say.

“Patronage is a rot that is affecting Canada’s trust in public institutions,” NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus said Thursday in Ottawa.

Angus is calling for the revival of the Public Appointments Commission, a stillborn Conservative initiative from 2006 that was supposed to be an arm’s-length body preventing federal boards from being stuffed with political cronies.

But the parties disagreed on who should run the commission and it was never staffed. It was officially shut down this year.

more

NDP: Patronage alive and well under Conservatives | The Chronicle Herald

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Via sda:

Yeah...now they complain

An NDP MP doesn't like patronage appointments....

So he wants the government to revive a commission, made up of appointed members. To oversee the appointment of other folks, a commission that his party voted against when the Conservative government worked to start said commission?

Perhaps, Mr. Angus you shouldn't have abused your power when we were in a minority gov't, eh?

It's not suprising that you support patronage.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Spoiled brat politics.... Opposition is not required to oppose everything.

Knowing Harper's penchant for burying gems with shyte (AKA Omnibus) my question would be what was the proposed Public Appointments Commission mixed in with?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's not suprising that you support patronage.

Are you new to the internet?

Look up the meaning of "via" as it relates to news stories and bloggery sources and h/t credits.

Then honestly consider what gerry recommended.

Barring that, I can't help ya chum.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Off-topic posts removed. Also, Reporting a post regarding a personal attack is fine, but to then perform one of your own doesn't really sit too well.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
We should have a repository for public viewing of deleted messages. I think it would be fun, some of them are entertaining. :)

While some of them don't serve anything except for fuel to the troll flame. So, it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.;)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So the dippers are upset because they don't have the power to hand out plums to their insiders. No surprise there. That is why they are called patronage appointments. Why would a government appoint someone to a position of power that does not support its views?
That being said all patronage appointments should end with the change of government and should not be eligable for golden parachutes or solid gold pensions.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Off-topic posts removed. Also, Reporting a post regarding a personal attack is fine, but to then perform one of your own doesn't really sit too well.

So, let me get this straight. Suggesting that one shut the fu ck up when they continually make false accusations is not good, but the false accusations themselves are fine. Do I have that right?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
So, let me get this straight. Suggesting that one shut the fu ck up when they continually make false accusations is not good, but the false accusations themselves are fine. Do I have that right?

No, the part where the personal insult was posted was not fine. And I didn't see where I said that false accusations were okay. I left the part where you said if he couldn't prove what he was saying he should apologize to Locutus.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Angus is a superstar in Ottawa.

Doesn't look like much has changed there.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, the part where the personal insult was posted was not fine. And I didn't see where I said that false accusations were okay. I left the part where you said if he couldn't prove what he was saying he should apologize to Locutus.

I'm taking this to private.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Patronage is an unfortunate part of our whole system. It doesnt matter which party is in control, they'll wind up doing it eventually. Like Harper saying he'd never appoint new Senators-lasted for awhile but he eventually caved. It'd be a very difficult problem to fix.