Ford tries to clarify his comments on gun criminals and immigration

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

After telling a talk radio interviewer on Wednesday night that he wanted to ask the Prime Minister how Canada’s immigration laws might help him evict convicted gun criminals from Toronto, Mayor Rob Ford called in to another local talk radio station Thursday night to clarify his remarks. He spoke to the hosts of Newstalk 1010’s Friendly Fire on Thursday night. Here is a transcript of the interview.

Mr. Ford: I have called the Prime Minister to find out if there’s any laws with respect to the immigration and citizenship status in the city.

So if people are caught, I don’t care if you’re white, pink or purple, I don’t care what country you’re from, I don’t care if you’re a Canadian citizen or not, all I’m saying is if you’re caught with a gun and convicted of a gun crime, I want you out of this city. And the portfolio for the cabinet minister is immigration and citizenship. I don’t think the other half of my statement came out quite clearly. It has nothing to do particularly with immigration or where you come from, which I think John was trying to say, all I want to do is get information, which I’m not an expert on and I’m sure nobody is until we talk to the minister and I can only get that information though the Prime Minister’s office.

So I put a call into the PMO to get that information. Maybe, you know, maybe we don’t have a leg to stand on. But I’m going to do everything in my power to find out, you know, if we can get rid of these people when they get out of jail. I don’t want to live in this city. I just want to clarify the same portfolio is called immigration and citizenship, it’s not just immigration.

Host:
So what do you mean? Could you clarify in terms of the citizenship angle here. Are you suggesting that you want to revoke citizenship? Or what is it…

Mr. Ford:
No, maybe you can clarify things John, with me. When you have a status in a country, what portfolio does that fall under? Your address. Your date of birth. Your country of origin. I’m pretty sure it falls under citizenship.

Host:
If, if you’re Canadian born?

Mr. Ford:
Well, obviously your status is obviously under Canadian.

Host:
When would a Canadian citizen, like yourself, for example – you were born in this country ...

Mr. Ford:
Right.

Host
: …When did you ever deal with immigration and citizenship?

Mr. Ford:
Aw, anytime. If you get in problems in another country, they try to look at your status, I’m saying ...

Host:
That’s Foreign Affairs.

Mr. Ford:
OK, whoever it may be, that’s what I’m saying. Maybe I’m not an expert on, you know, the ministries, but I’m saying that if it’s foreign affairs or immigration and citizenship, I want to talk to the PMO to find out if we can – and maybe we can’t. But I’m just trying to clarify that if you’re caught with a gun and convicted of a gun crime, I do not want you living in this city any more. To find out that information you have to go through the PMO, and that’s what I’m doing. So, I’m not an expert in this but I’m trying to resolve the issue that’s at hand.

Host:
Mayor Ford, just to be clear here, we’re not talking about you having any inside information as to knowing the immigration status of the suspected shooter, or anything to that effect.

Mr. Ford:
No, it has nothing to do with that. All I’m saying is I think people have had enough. When I walk through I call that war zone on Monday morning, I was mad. I was upset at the beginning, but I was mad because I said this is not the city we live in. I said I’ll do anything in my power to deal with this issue.

A lot of people just said, “Rob, why are they living in this city?” No matter who they are, I don’t care if you’re Canadian born, a Canadian citizen. I don’t care if you’re an immigrant, I don’t care if you’re refugee; it doesn’t matter to me. If you’re convicted of a gun crime, I do not want you living in this city. And the only way I can find out whether that’s legal or not or whether we can enforce that is through the PMO, and that’s what I’m doing.

So, I’m meeting with the Premier on Monday to deal with funding for TAVIS and hopefully next week I’ll be meeting with the Prime Minister. So I just want to clarify that because what I heard driving home is not, is not what I said.

Toronto Mayor Ford tries to clarify his comments on gun criminals and immigration - The Globe and Mail

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Sounds like he is looking for any legal path or "loophole" that would alow Toronto or Canada to deport these murderers. If they came from the UK, Sweeded, Bulgaria or Jamaica.. Im in agreement,,, If there is a way to get them out of Canada, perfecto..

Caught with a gun? Your not a Citizen? Ok, out you go! We ALL know that the sentencing for these crimes is minimal. I agree, I would rather turf them out than clog the legal system or fill the jails.

After telling a talk radio interviewer on Wednesday night that he wanted to ask the Prime Minister how Canada’s immigration laws might help him evict convicted gun criminals from Toronto, Mayor Rob Ford called in to another local talk radio station Thursday night to clarify his remarks. He spoke to the hosts of Newstalk 1010’s Friendly Fire on Thursday night. Here is a transcript of the interview.

Mr. Ford: I have called the Prime Minister to find out if there’s any laws with respect to the immigration and citizenship status in the city.

So if people are caught, I don’t care if you’re white, pink or purple, I don’t care what country you’re from, I don’t care if you’re a Canadian citizen or not, all I’m saying is if you’re caught with a gun and convicted of a gun crime, I want you out of this city. And the portfolio for the cabinet minister is immigration and citizenship. I don’t think the other half of my statement came out quite clearly. It has nothing to do particularly with immigration or where you come from, which I think John was trying to say, all I want to do is get information, which I’m not an expert on and I’m sure nobody is until we talk to the minister and I can only get that information though the Prime Minister’s office.

So I put a call into the PMO to get that information. Maybe, you know, maybe we don’t have a leg to stand on. But I’m going to do everything in my power to find out, you know, if we can get rid of these people when they get out of jail. I don’t want to live in this city. I just want to clarify the same portfolio is called immigration and citizenship, it’s not just immigration.

Host: So what do you mean? Could you clarify in terms of the citizenship angle here. Are you suggesting that you want to revoke citizenship? Or what is it…

Mr. Ford: No, maybe you can clarify things John, with me. When you have a status in a country, what portfolio does that fall under? Your address. Your date of birth. Your country of origin. I’m pretty sure it falls under citizenship.

Host: If, if you’re Canadian born?

Mr. Ford: Well, obviously your status is obviously under Canadian.

Host: When would a Canadian citizen, like yourself, for example – you were born in this country ...

Mr. Ford: Right.

Host: …When did you ever deal with immigration and citizenship?

Mr. Ford: Aw, anytime. If you get in problems in another country, they try to look at your status, I’m saying ...

Host: That’s Foreign Affairs.

Mr. Ford: OK, whoever it may be, that’s what I’m saying. Maybe I’m not an expert on, you know, the ministries, but I’m saying that if it’s foreign affairs or immigration and citizenship, I want to talk to the PMO to find out if we can – and maybe we can’t. But I’m just trying to clarify that if you’re caught with a gun and convicted of a gun crime, I do not want you living in this city any more. To find out that information you have to go through the PMO, and that’s what I’m doing. So, I’m not an expert in this but I’m trying to resolve the issue that’s at hand.

Host: Mayor Ford, just to be clear here, we’re not talking about you having any inside information as to knowing the immigration status of the suspected shooter, or anything to that effect.

Mr. Ford: No, it has nothing to do with that. All I’m saying is I think people have had enough. When I walk through I call that war zone on Monday morning, I was mad. I was upset at the beginning, but I was mad because I said this is not the city we live in. I said I’ll do anything in my power to deal with this issue.

A lot of people just said, “Rob, why are they living in this city?” No matter who they are, I don’t care if you’re Canadian born, a Canadian citizen. I don’t care if you’re an immigrant, I don’t care if you’re refugee; it doesn’t matter to me. If you’re convicted of a gun crime, I do not want you living in this city. And the only way I can find out whether that’s legal or not or whether we can enforce that is through the PMO, and that’s what I’m doing.

So, I’m meeting with the Premier on Monday to deal with funding for TAVIS and hopefully next week I’ll be meeting with the Prime Minister. So I just want to clarify that because what I heard driving home is not, is not what I said.

Toronto Mayor Ford tries to clarify his comments on gun criminals and immigration - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Caught with a gun? Your not a Citizen? Ok, out you go!

Try reading it again:

Rob Ford said:
I don’t care what country you’re from, I don’t care if you’re a Canadian citizen or not.

This is why he wants to move criminals out of the city. Because he's a nice guy, and Toronto is a nice place - so they belong somewhere else.

I'm sure the surrounding cities will heartily accept Toronto's criminals because Ford said so.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
It sure sounds to me like hes hinting at deporting them. His "Out of the City" and talk about imigration policies kind of lends it to deportation does it not? Would you support the deportation of anyone illegally carrying a gun while not a Citizen of Canada?

Try reading it again:

This is why he wants to move criminals out of the city. Because he's a nice guy, and Toronto is a nice place - so they belong somewhere else.

I'm sure the surrounding cities will heartily accept Toronto's criminals because Ford said so.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It sure sounds to me like hes hinting at deporting them. His "Out of the City" and talk about imigration policies kind of lends it to deportation does it not? Would you support the deportation of anyone illegally carrying a gun while not a Citizen of Canada?

I have no problem with you quibbling with your own misinterpretation.

But the reality is that he's clearly stated Canadian citizens will be moved the **** out of Toronto if they are found to be criminals.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
So, Lets assume that "My Misinterpretation" is correct.... Lets just say im waay out of line here but lets just assume its correct...

"Would you be ok wth deporting a non-citizen that is charged with carrying and illegal hand-gun"?

Im just going by the assumption that "Moved the **** out of toronto" could possibly include out of Canada?

Going by YOUR understanding, he could very well mean Moved out of toronto and DIRECTLY to say "Acton"?

Please, answer my question on your position "Would you be ok wth deporting a non-citizen that is charged with carrying and illegal hand-gun"?

This is a political discussion, a hopefully grown up one.. Curse words arent needed...

I have no problem with you quibbling with your own misinterpretation.

But the reality is that he's clearly stated Canadian citizens will be moved the **** out of Toronto if they are found to be criminals.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Please, answer my question on your position "Would you be ok wth deporting a non-citizen that is charged with carrying and illegal hand-gun"?

No idea.

But for Ford, it doesn't matter if your a citizen or not.

He wants you out of this city of you commit a gun-related crime.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Has there ever in the history of the Human race been a bigger clown as the CEO of a major city. He is an eternal embarrassment.

And, the great majority of these crimes are committed by Canadian citizens. Usually by citizens who have been thrust into a disadvantaged status by a 'dog eat dog' culture.

Ford is playing the race card and the perversion of the 'Law and Order' card. He is a fitting one to talk to Harper.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Has there ever in the history of the Human race been a bigger clown as the CEO of a major city. He is an eternal embarrassment.
Lastman?

By what means does he feel he's allowed to kick Canadian citizens out of Toronto?

I wonder what goes on in that brain of his.

No idea.

But for Ford, it doesn't matter if your a citizen or not.

He wants you out of this city of you commit a gun-related crime.

Ford SMASH!

Gentlmen, is there a Federal Penal facility in the GTA?

Do either of you know the threshold at which one serves their sentence in a provincial or federal facility?

Seems, Ford isn't asking for anything that isn't unattainable, or unrealistic.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Seems, Ford isn't asking for anything that isn't unattainable, or unrealistic.

What's unattainable is any form of clarification in Ford's ramblings (because he's dense).

If he's referring to jailed criminals and there is no jail in T.O., then why make the comments in the first place?

If he's referring to some other form of detainment, then there must be some rationale for being able to evict those people from the city even if they are Canadian citizens.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If he's referring to jailed criminals and there is no jail in T.O., then why make the comments in the first place?
Their are detention facilities in Toronto.

If he's referring to some other form of detainment, then there must be some rationale for being able to evict those people from the city even if they are Canadian citizens.
Detention in a Federal facility would fit.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Sir, Even the title of the post has it... Hes refering to DEPORTATION! You started this thread,,, did you read your own "Linky-poo"?

How can we have a debate when a poster/debater doesnt read his own post or link.

And the the name-calling of an elected official (majority as well btw)..

Shame

What's unattainable is any form of clarification in Ford's ramblings (because he's dense).

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How can we have a debate when a poster/debater doesnt read his own post or link.
The content is irrelevant, so long as the premise is an attack, or can be spun to be an attack upon the posters ideological arch enemy.

Debate of course is a moot point, when the poster is an ideologue. Debate with an ideologue, is an effort in futility.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Sir, Even the title of the post has it... Hes refering to DEPORTATION! You started this thread,,, did you read your own "Linky-poo"?

And the the name-calling of an elected official (majority as well btw)..

Shame
Can you suggest a real reason for debating the racism and attempts to circumvent the Rule of Law by an elected official - no matter how many votes he got.

It would seem that you have either not read the opening or are totally unable to understand the totalitarian implications.

Personally, I see nothing to debate other than some mechanism for removing Ford from his position.

Sometimes it seems a shame that we do not have an impeachment' process.