Federal Court rejects Tory effort to prevent overturning of election results

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Federal Court rejects Tory effort to prevent overturning of election results

OTTAWA - The Federal Court has rejected a bid by the Conservatives to prevent federal election results in a handful of tightly contested ridings from being overturned.

The Tories argued in court last month against an application by the Council of Canadians to support a review of the May 2011 election results in seven ridings, dismissing it as baseless and having been filed too late.

But in its ruling Thursday, the court found no reason to reject the case — at least not at this stage.

"It cannot be concluded that the applications are 'utterly devoid of merit' so as to warrant their summary dismissal," Federal Court Justice Martha Milczynski wrote in her decision.

The council alleges the outcome of last year's election was influenced by misleading or harassing phone calls — so-called "robocalling" — in seven ridings across Canada where Conservative MPs narrowly won their seats.

The court said the case revolves around serious concerns about the integrity of Canada's electoral system.

"Far from being frivolous or vexatious, or an obvious abuse, the applications raise serious issues about the integrity of the democratic process in Canada," Milczynski wrote.

The applicants identified "practices that if proven, point to a campaign of activities that would seek to deny eligible voters their right to vote and/or manipulate or interfere with that right being exercised freely," she continued.

Failure to bring such serious allegations before the courts could shake public confidence and trust in the electoral process, Milczynski added.

The case still has to pass a third hurdle, where the Conservatives intend to argue that the council is meddling to encourage the seven original applicants to bring the case to court simply because the organization doesn't like the Tories.

However, the council's Maude Barlow said she expects to win that court battle as well.

"We're feeling quite confident that that will be thrown out, as this is," Barlow said.

No further court dates have been set, although Barlow expected the courts will want to proceed quickly.
Voters can legally challenge the results in their ridings. And if a court finds that the outcome of the election would have changed, a byelection can be ordered.

It's rare that such decisions are made, but an Ontario judge this spring overturned last year's election results in the Etobicoke Centre riding, ruling that there were enough suspect votes cast due to clerical errors to warrant sending voters back to the polls. Conservative MP Ted Opitz defeated Liberal Borys Wrzesnewskyj in the Toronto riding by only 26 votes.

Opitz appealed that ruling to the Supreme Court of Canada, which earlier this month reserved its decision after hearing arguments from both sides.

The seven ridings where the results are being contested over robocalls are Don Valley East, Winnipeg South Centre, Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar, Elmwood-Transcona, Nipissing-Timiskaming, Vancouver Island North and Yukon.

Federal Court rejects Tory effort to prevent overturning of election results - 680News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Which is why it makes perfect sense for the government to waste money fighting it.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Which is why it makes perfect sense for the government to waste money fighting it.

:) :) :) The gall of the Conservatives is exceeded only by ther lack of common sense. Do they not see that contesting the arrival of the case to court is counter-productive wrt democracy? Must not be a big concern for them.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
:) :) :) The gall of the Conservatives is exceeded only by ther lack of common sense. Do they not see that contesting the arrival of the case to court is counter-productive wrt democracy? Must not be a big concern for them.

In other words the airing of a viewpoint contrary to your world view is "counter-productive wrt democracy". Got it. :)

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
In other words the airing of a viewpoint contrary to your world view is "counter-productive wrt democracy". Got it. :)

Well Yeah, What else could it be. Oh wait, I didn't mean to say that, can I change my post now? lol

I was referring to the fact that the Conservatives recognized quite a while ago that there were irregularities in some ridings in the last election. They denied culpabilty, claiming that it was the work of unsanctioned, and/or overworked, overzealous independants. Fine,,, they should let the courts do their work, quit interfering in the due process of a democratic system.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Making a petition before the court IS due process.

"The Tories argued in court last month against an application by the Council of Canadians"

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
The applicants identified "practices that if proven, point to a campaign of activities that would seek to deny eligible voters their right to vote and/or manipulate or interfere with that right being exercised freely," she continued.

This is exactly what I've been saying, in Guelph alone there was most likely thousands of people called in a polling station misdirect attempt. Nation wide it's almost certainly in the tens of thousands.

Colpy in an earlier exchange was telling me to "get over it" and that the other parties did the same thing. The facts don't support that.

The federal Conservatives were the only party to impersonate Canadian elections officials and misdirect non-conservative voters, the robocalls sent out by the Liberals were messages criticizing Conservative candidates. Not that I think that's acceptable just that's it's not overtly criminal which the Conservative effort clearly was. In some cases the Conservative robo calls claimed to be from or gave Liberal phone numbers in a smear campaign.

And considering it was a large scale campaign targeting close ridings I find it implausible that it was just a limited affair. There was planning, preparation and wide scale execution of this illegal program to disenfranchise voters.

We live in a democracy not an autocracy and it's about time our courts imposed that reality on the out of control PMO.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
If only Guelph were on the list of ridings, eh? Did any Liberals or NDP win close calls, or were they all landslides? Didn't a Liberal win that Guelph riding? Why aren't they disputing that result?

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
If only Guelph were on the list of ridings, eh? Did any Liberals or NDP win close calls, or were they all landslides? Didn't a Liberal win that Guelph riding? Why aren't they disputing that result?

I don't know, I'm going by CBC reporting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/04/pol-robocalls-ip-address-traced.html

Elections Canada has traced a computer from the Conservative campaign in Guelph, Ont., to the account that paid for robocalls that falsely directed voters to the wrong polling station in the last federal election.

Newly released court documents show investigator Al Mathews traced a PayPal account used to pay for the robocalls to the same IP address as a computer used by Andrew Prescott, the deputy campaign manager in the riding.

I'm guessing they're focusing on the ridings that may have been won by Conservative election fraud.

BTW, it really doesn't matter who won in the riding, if criminal activity occured it's still illegal.

If they can prove that the federal Conservatives did in fact break the law and win through illegal election fraud then it calls into question all the ridings affected. Keep in mind that the Conservatives have already been found guilty breaking elections laws in the in-and-out funding case. Steven Harper could very well have a much shorter term in office than he assumed.

And most of us will be the better for it.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Making a petition before the court IS due process.

"The Tories argued in court last month against an application by the Council of Canadians"

Well it is process, but since the Conservatives already agreed that there were irregularities that would mean that the Conservative intervention is undue process.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
BTW, it really doesn't matter who won in the riding, if criminal activity occured it's still illegal.

If they can prove that the federal Conservatives did in fact break the law and win through illegal election fraud then it calls into question all the ridings affected.

Exactly. So why are all the ridings in question held by conservatives, if it really doesn't matter who won the riding? Coincidence? Or would it be more due to the fact that "the council is meddling to encourage the seven original applicants to bring the case to court simply because the organization doesn't like the Tories."

I don't defend election fraud, but if we're going to have do-overs they should be in all affected ridings, not just the ones won by conservatives.

I think the Tories have a case here.

Well it is process, but since the Conservatives already agreed that there were irregularities that would mean that the Conservative intervention is undue process.

Well, no. The conservatives are as legitimate a part of the process as the "Council of Canadians". Pretty presumptuous title for an organization, by the way.

The irregularities should be investigated and those responsible prosecuted, for sure. But as far as election results go, I haven't been following the story particularly closely, but I haven't heard of any incident where someone actually failed to cast their vote due to a robocall. Just to keep things in perspective.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Exactly. So why are all the ridings in question held by conservatives, if it really doesn't matter who won the riding? Coincidence? Or would it be more due to the fact that "the council is meddling to encourage the seven original applicants to bring the case to court simply because the organization doesn't like the Tories."

That's what the courts are going to decide. If the ridings in question are being held by Conservatives because non-conservative voters were misdirected then that's illegal. And it does matter who won the riding, what doesn't change is the illegality of impersonating election officials in a campaign to deprive voters of their democractic rights.

The law doesn't dicriminate against the Tories, election fraud is election fraud, if they did carry out this campaign which seems very likely given the links already estlbished then in some ridings it's possible that the campaign did in fact produce Conservative wins and MPs. In that case the results should be overturned and bi-elections held. If it can be established that this was a widespread and planned campaign which also seems likely(I believe CBC has reported over 100 ridings affected) then it calls into legitimacy the entire Conservative "win".

I don't defend election fraud, but if we're going to have do-overs they should be in all affected ridings, not just the ones won by conservatives.

Agreed.

I think the Tories have a case here.

I don't, I think there's more than enough evidence to proceed.

In fact if this gets sidelined and swept under the carpet like everything else that calls into question the legitimacy of the current government, then I don't think we can claim to even have a democratic system anymore.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In fact if this gets sidelined and swept under the carpet like everything else that calls into question the legitimacy of the current government, then I don't think we can claim to even have a democratic system anymore.

This say's it all right here. There is no open mind concerning the election or the conservatives.