Bob Rae preaches sustainable development of oilsands

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Bob Rae seeks middle ground on oilsands development

Interim Liberal leader Bob Rae waded into the oilsands debate Saturday suggesting that, while Alberta’s booming development is an important part of Canada’s economy, the discussion about how best to use it has been polarizing and unproductive.

“I don’t think it’s just a matter of saying ‘I’m pro-development’ or ‘I’m anti-development,’ I think everybody recognizes it’s a huge resource for Canada. The question is: Can we do it in a sustainable way?”

“You can’t just grow a development from 100,000 people to a quarter of a million people in 10 years or 15 years without really thinking through all of the social and economic implications as well as the environmental ones. . . . We have to recognize that we are, in part, a resource economy — we’re also a manufacturing economy . . . and a service economy — but, to deny the fact that we are a resource economy strikes me as ludicrous.”

After touring northern Alberta communities and oilsands development sites last week, Rae met briefly with Alberta Premier Alison Redford and Alberta Energy Minister Ken Hughes at the Calgary Stampede. He called Alberta’s “National Energy Strategy” — which sees the oilsands as one cog in Canada’s energy market wheel — “a very positive and effective way to look at what we need to do.”

Rae said that while exporting to Asia is a logical step in a global economy, priority should be given to bringing oil from Alberta to Eastern Canada.

“A national pipeline is something we could do quite readily,” Rae told The House’s guest host James Fitz-Morris. “It’s not complicated. . . . We just need to improve the infrastructure” that already exists between Alberta and the rest of the country.

“We’ve got to look hard at the fact that this resource is not going away . . . we’ve got to become world leaders in sustainability.”

He challenged the federal government to set clearer standards for development and to ensure that all stakeholders — including First Nations communities, which live around the oilsands — are on board.

Liberal leader Bob Rae seeks middle ground on oilsands development | News | National Post

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is there enough refining capacity in Eastern Canada to use most of the oil sands production? And what about non oil sands production?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Too funny... The guy that almost single handedly bankrupted Ontario's economy is giving advice to other provinces.

That's like Henry Morgentaller offering to give advice to expecting moms on pre-natal care

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
How can you 'sustainably' develop a finite resource?

You can hear it all if you stand near politicians long enough. The Liberals are definitely straining their vocal cords to get close to the middle ground again. Perhaps if they put a little strain on their thought processes instead they might have better luck. The most logical means of developing the oilsands production would be over a time frame that allows the carbon that will be released to be sequestered in advance, to allow the native people to have clean water, air, and hunting territory, and jobs and economic development if they want them, and to allow for an ecosystem that functions as well when the oil is all gone as it did before the mining.

It still won't be sustainable unless we can make use of the sequestered carbon as energy at the same rate it is being sequestered, and if we can do that then we don't need the oil sands production.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
NDP love sustainable development.
Libs love sustainable development.
Alberta PCs love sustainable development.

Just poor ol' Harpie is left out.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, "sustainable" development and sustainable development are two different things.
Of course you also have "responsible development".

Some people miss the forest for the trees, just because not all the trees look alike.

That kind of lock step thinking makes me laugh.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Of course you also have "responsible development".

Some people miss the forest for the trees, just because not all the trees look alike.

That kind of lock step thinking makes me laugh.

It funny you mentioned that.. yesterday I was in White Rock, BC.. Driving around and along the freeways to home, Langley, BC. I noticed lots of old growth trees.. I guess that's why many people move to here to Beautiful British Columbia.. the old growth trees, lots of green and very clean.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It funny you mentioned that.. yesterday I was in White Rock, BC.. Driving around and along the freeways to home, Langley, BC. I noticed lots of old growth trees.. I guess that's why many people move to here to Beautiful British Columbia.. the old growth trees, lots of green and very clean.

Bear likes BC greens as well.