Confusing Canadian rules scaring away Chinese investments in oil patch: report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

OTTAWA — Canada is missing out on billions of investments from cash-rich China because of Ottawa’s confusing foreign takeover rules, says a report from the Conference Board.

The Ottawa-based think-tank makes clear it is a supporter of foreign investments, including from China, saying simply that economies that have access to global capital do better in terms of growth and job creation.

But although the federal government has declared Canada open for business and is aggressive on the free trade front, it has kept in place opaque rules that may be scaring away foreign investors, the report says.

It has chosen the example of China because the world’s emerging economic super-power is also among the fastest growing sources of foreign capital, with the potential to become Canada’s second largest investor base next to the U.S.

China has about $14 billion in investments in Canada, half of which is in the resource sector. The report notes that often China maintains a minority share to avoid political problems.

But Canada is not getting its share now — Australia attracts three times as much investment from China, the report says. And it blames the Investment Canada Act, with its obscure “net benefit” test, as a potential hurdle that may explain part of the poor record.

“The evidence is that our global share of foreign investment has collapsed over the last 25 years,” from 16 per cent in 1970 to three per cent in 2009, said Glen Hodgson, chief economist with the Conference Board.

The comparison looks better if investment is put in relation to the size of Canada’s economy, but Hodgson said that’s still not good enough.

“We have growth potential that many other economies don’t have, not just the resource sector, but across our national economy. China is investing around the world right now and maybe we’re satisfied with our level, but I don’t think we should be.”

The report agrees that Canada should scrutinize Chinese forays into Canada’s resource sector. State-owned enterprises are sometimes servants not of the market but of the shareholder, which in China’s case is a Communist government.

But the Conference Board argues that once national security issues are resolved, China should be treated like any other foreign investor. As well, Canada should spell out its rules for investors so that they know the tests they need to pass.

That’s not the perception today, the report says.

The Investment Act’s “net benefit” rule, although seldom invoked to reject a takeover, is opaque, and as a result adds costs and political risk to what should be a business decision.

The Harper government has rejected two foreign takeovers in its six years in office, the most notable being the failed bid by Anglo-Australian mining firm BHP Billiton for Potash Corp. in 2010.

There has been speculation that government would again face a difficult decision should a foreign bid emerge for troubled Research in Motion.

Reacting to the Potash controversy, the government said then it would clear up the rules regarding how the net benefit to Canada rule is being applied, but then changed its mind.

This spring, Industry Minister Christian Paradis announced modest changes to the Act, including an amendment that would permit him to disclose he has sent a preliminary notice rejecting an investment and to explain his reasons.

In an email response to the report, Paradis said the government’s “foreign investment review process is sound and encourages investment, economic growth and prosperity in Canada.”

The Conference Board says the Act should be amended along the Australian model with clearly defined rules about ownership and governance.

A key change would be to reverse the onus from the foreign bidder to the government to show that an investment is not in Canada’s interest.

A spokesman for Trade Minister Ed Fast noted that Canada had just concluded negotiations for a Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement with China and expects investments to keep growing.

“We ... welcome partnerships between Chinese and Canadian companies that bring together capital and expertise with a view to shared pursuit of new markets and opportunities in Canada, China, and third markets,” said Rudy Husny, in an email response.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That must be why they decided to build 60 nukes and buy the U from SK?

Oooooops but that wil take jobs away from ON when processing is done here too.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im fine with the Chinese not investing. Id actually prefer for them not to.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
What would cause a concern from a requirement that Canada receive a net benefit? I suppose the very idea that we would in some way complain about our net losses from our resource sales might confuse people who could care less. It would be a good idea for us to understand that particular clause and see that it is strengthened.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Biggest problem facing foreign or any investment in Canada is all the environmental rules and regulationary hurdles. I don't mean the common sense ones either. It is about delays in getting permits, overlapping jurisdictions and needless studies. We cry about no jobs but make it impossible for any industry to build. Can't have it both ways.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I look at this in a couple ways:

1) I am a bit of a xenophobe, so I'm not upset that we're missing out on some foreign investment: our resources should be used to benefit us first, and if there is excess, we can sell it. Ownership by foreign interests infers an obligation to share the resources, even in the face of shortfalls. Now I don't believe in the Peak Oil crap but some day it will come to an end, so I want to maximize our benefit.

2) Call me a racist if you must but I don't trust the Chinese and am not offended if they are the ones discouraged from buying more of our resource base. I wouldn't say its a racial distrust, so much as an ideological one, in the face of their record on human rights, their attitude in trade practices and their willingness to engage in industrial espionage/sabotage/cyber incursions.

3) The politically cynical Canadian part of me wonders if this is more Liberal sponsoured crap and if the reaction would be the same if we substituted American for Chinese. The Liberals have always seemed to favour closer ties to the Chinese than the Conservatives, and the reverse is true when it comes to the Americans.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Liberals have always seemed to favour closer ties to the Chinese than the Conservatives, and the reverse is true when it comes to the Americans.

The Canadian Conservatives prefer a Republican President in power in America when Romney gets in then Harper will get back on his knees and beg for some time on the ranch

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Canadian Conservatives prefer a Republican President in power in America when Romney gets in then Harper will get back on his knees and beg for some time on the ranch

Most Canadian conservatives would prefer a US president that is not a complete and total idiot. The party is not that important since both are somewhat right of Canada.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
3) The politically cynical Canadian part of me wonders if this is more Liberal sponsoured crap and if the reaction would be the same if we substituted American for Chinese. The Liberals have always seemed to favour closer ties to the Chinese than the Conservatives, and the reverse is true when it comes to the Americans.

Harper has done far more to get us closer to the Chinese than his Liberal predecessors.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am very happy to hear the Chinese are taking a step back. I would like to see them
take even more steps back. As an economic nationalist I think we should develop our
own oil and gas and use the inflated prices to pay for the cost of doing so while giving
substantial fuel cost breaks to Canadians.
On one hand we dare not offend them on the other we bring up the human rights abuses.
I guess its just the hypocrite in each of our government politicians

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006

OTTAWA — Canada is missing out on billions of investments from cash-rich China because of Ottawa’s confusing foreign takeover rules, says a report from the Conference Board.

The Ottawa-based think-tank makes clear it is a supporter of foreign investments, including from China, saying simply that economies that have access to global capital do better in terms of growth and job creation.

But although the federal government has declared Canada open for business and is aggressive on the free trade front, it has kept in place opaque rules that may be scaring away foreign investors, the report says.

It has chosen the example of China because the world’s emerging economic super-power is also among the fastest growing sources of foreign capital, with the potential to become Canada’s second largest investor base next to the U.S.

China has about $14 billion in investments in Canada, half of which is in the resource sector. The report notes that often China maintains a minority share to avoid political problems.

But Canada is not getting its share now — Australia attracts three times as much investment from China, the report says. And it blames the Investment Canada Act, with its obscure “net benefit” test, as a potential hurdle that may explain part of the poor record.

“The evidence is that our global share of foreign investment has collapsed over the last 25 years,” from 16 per cent in 1970 to three per cent in 2009, said Glen Hodgson, chief economist with the Conference Board.

The comparison looks better if investment is put in relation to the size of Canada’s economy, but Hodgson said that’s still not good enough.

“We have growth potential that many other economies don’t have, not just the resource sector, but across our national economy. China is investing around the world right now and maybe we’re satisfied with our level, but I don’t think we should be.”

The report agrees that Canada should scrutinize Chinese forays into Canada’s resource sector. State-owned enterprises are sometimes servants not of the market but of the shareholder, which in China’s case is a Communist government.

But the Conference Board argues that once national security issues are resolved, China should be treated like any other foreign investor. As well, Canada should spell out its rules for investors so that they know the tests they need to pass.

That’s not the perception today, the report says.

The Investment Act’s “net benefit” rule, although seldom invoked to reject a takeover, is opaque, and as a result adds costs and political risk to what should be a business decision.

The Harper government has rejected two foreign takeovers in its six years in office, the most notable being the failed bid by Anglo-Australian mining firm BHP Billiton for Potash Corp. in 2010.

There has been speculation that government would again face a difficult decision should a foreign bid emerge for troubled Research in Motion.

Reacting to the Potash controversy, the government said then it would clear up the rules regarding how the net benefit to Canada rule is being applied, but then changed its mind.

This spring, Industry Minister Christian Paradis announced modest changes to the Act, including an amendment that would permit him to disclose he has sent a preliminary notice rejecting an investment and to explain his reasons.

In an email response to the report, Paradis said the government’s “foreign investment review process is sound and encourages investment, economic growth and prosperity in Canada.”

The Conference Board says the Act should be amended along the Australian model with clearly defined rules about ownership and governance.

A key change would be to reverse the onus from the foreign bidder to the government to show that an investment is not in Canada’s interest.

A spokesman for Trade Minister Ed Fast noted that Canada had just concluded negotiations for a Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement with China and expects investments to keep growing.

“We ... welcome partnerships between Chinese and Canadian companies that bring together capital and expertise with a view to shared pursuit of new markets and opportunities in Canada, China, and third markets,” said Rudy Husny, in an email response.
It's funny that Chinese investors are deterred by Canada's complex investment rules.
You need to hire a team of Cantonese fluent lawyers to navigate the labyrinth of China's investment laws.

Besides which, it's not particularly necessary to change the rules to get interest in the Canadian oil sands. There are no shortage of domestic or international investors chomping at the bit.