Bev Oda quitting as MP and cabinet minister

Machjo
Bev Oda quitting as MP and cabinet minister - Canada - CBC News

Looks like Princess is leaving the castle; I guess she got tired of the pea under the mattress.

mentalfloss
+3
Haha.. "quitting"... hahahahaahahaha

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+4
Should make for some interesting by-elections

bill barilko

The Edwin Hawkins Singers - Oh Happy Day - YouTube

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Bev Oda resigns as MP amid cabinet shuffle speculation | News | National Post

Best news this week!

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Bev Oda resigns as MP amid cabinet shuffle speculation | News | National Post

Best news this week!

Already posted..

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Haha.. "quitting"... hahahahaahahaha

I would have enjoyed it more if Harper had publicly fired her from cabinet. Either way I'm glad she's going. The by-election should be interesting.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
I would be even happier if Harper left with her

Walter
+3
Hedi Fry should follow suit.

Goober
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Hedi Fry should follow suit.

Now I have it all figured out- Walter is the President of the Bev Oda fan club. Walter you must be so sad seeing Bev go. My sympathies.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Did she stay long enough to get her golden handshake?
Lifw will be tough without the taxpayer funded expense account. Might have to stay at a HJ when she travels now.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Did she stay long enough to get her golden handshake?
Lifw will be tough without the taxpayer funded expense account. Might have to stay at a HJ when she travels now.

She can always try forming a Roy Orbison tribute act.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
+1
Orange juice Oda had a bad oda. Very noble of her to "quit," cough cough, gob. The Cdn Taxpayers Fed said she would get about $700,000 in pensions by the time she is 80. She looks about 76 now. You know, pensions aren't necessarily drawing the best people into politcs these days.

mentalfloss
New cabinet faces alone won't repair damage Oda did to Tory brand - Globe and Mail

Quote:

No one expected Ms. Oda to survive that shuffle, including Ms. Oda.

But cabinet shuffles are of not the slightest interest to anyone outside the febrile confines of the political class. If Mr. Harper is to restore trust with those who gave him his majority government, especially with those true Tory believers who have been shaken by these abuses, then he will have to go farther: stricter spending limits and reporting requirements; smaller travel and entertainment budgets; fewer perks all around.

Nuggler
+4
She's a rough, crude, egocentric, manipulative, excuse for a woman, and I don't care if the door hits her ass, just as long as it closes behind her.

One bad oda out, hopefully several more to leave.

Too much to hope for

Machjo
+5
#16  Top Rated Post
Honestly, her constituents are squarely to blame for this: that's what you get when you just blindly vote party without looking at the actual candidate you're voting for.

Nuggler
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Honestly, her constituents are squarely to blame for this: that's what you get when you just blindly vote party without looking at the actual candidate you're voting for.

Blindness has become an epidemic, unforrtunately

Machjo
+1
I would bet most Canadians would vote for a complete idiot if he belonged to "their" party and would overlook a complete genious in the same riding because of the wrong party association.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1

Indeed. I was really surprised that she was re-elected last year given she had several screw ups under her belt already. Hell, in a way she caused that election.

I'll always vote for an MP over a party. If my prefered party puts an idiot in my riding, that person is not getting my vote.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
"Bev Oda quitting as MP and cabinet minister"

Buhbye.
1 down and 307 to go.

Cabbagesandking
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Orange juice Oda had a bad oda. Very noble of her to "quit," cough cough, gob. The Cdn Taxpayers Fed said she would get about $700,000 in pensions by the time she is 80. She looks about 76 now. You know, pensions aren't necessarily drawing the best people into politcs these days.

She is 68 and will get a pension of about $52,000 annually.

As for the riding, that is almost a given for the Conservatives no matter who or what they replace her with. It covers a lot of rural and recently subdivided territory, both Harper ground. It also is an area that is big on thumping bibles.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CabbagesandkingView Post

As for the riding, that is almost a given for the Conservatives no matter who or what they replace her with. It covers a lot of rural and recently subdivided territory, both Harper ground. It also is an area that is big on thumping bibles.

$52,000??????????? That will last about one week at the Savoy or 5 days if she has orange juice for breakfast!

mentalfloss
Fantino?

Julian Fantino replaces Bev Oda as international co-operation minister

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
Ministry positions are quite often payoffs or an attempt to represent all regions and special interest groups in cabinet. Merit is ,like the rest of the federal government at the bottom of the criteria list.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker

She was filler I guess. A guaranteed seat in the Commons and easy living after. Seems to work against the idea that parties are looking for qualified people, they aren't because the PM has all the power and he just needs pawns called MPs to get the votes in Parliament to ram through legislation. No need for reform here at all.

Sounds like we have totalitarian party politics. Any one who breaks the rules, and doesn't vote the party line-all the time, gets punished. Dissent gets squashed. Since so many people hate politics, we get the politics we deserve.
Last edited by dumpthemonarchy; Jul 10th, 2012 at 12:59 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! That b*tch is younger than I am- another one of her many lies!

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! That b*tch is younger than I am- another one of her many lies!

Well you could say she was quite Liberal with her sense of entitlement to entitlements.

Allegations that Bev Oda expensed an air filter (to mask her office smoking) a fitting end to her political career | Full Comment | National Post

Nuggler
+1

Bev Oda quitting as MP and cabinet minister - Canada - CBC News

Looks like Princess is leaving the castle; I guess she got tired of the pea under the mattress.

She peed under the mattress? Probably.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

She peed under the mattress? Probably.

And the oda was stifling!

ABconservative
Conservative
This is not a good example of what a good conservative mp look like and I'm glad she resigned before she was forced out.