NDP seen as most in touch with seniors

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
NDP seen as most in touch with seniors, survey suggests

The Conservatives are losing ground to the NDP among key group of voters — such as seniors and new Canadians — an exclusive new survey conducted by Nanos Research for CBC News Network's Power & Politics suggests.

The national online survey was conducted in the wake of the government's controversial omnibus budget implementation bill, which included changes to Old Age Security, Employment Insurance, immigration rules, environmental assessments and other policies.

Respondents were asked which federal party is most sensitive to the needs of different constituencies.

"We wanted to explore which party Canadians thought was the most sensitive to a wide array of groups, ranging from seniors to students to small businesses to new Canadians," Nik Nanos of Nanos Research told Power & Politics host Evan Solomon.

"This gives us an indicator of who has the upper political hand with a lot of these critical groups that can make a significant difference at the ballot box," Nanos said.

The number that jumps out immediately involves seniors.

The survey suggests 28.4 per cent of Canadians feel the NDP is the party most sensitive to seniors' needs, compared to 17.4 per cent for the Conservatives and 12.1 per cent for the Liberals. Just over 14 per cent said "none" of the parties, while 24.3 per cent were unsure.

The New Democrats have a significant advantage over the Conservatives," said Nanos. "This is very important because when we think of the winning Conservative coalition, the coalition that put them into majority territory, a bedrock of that coalition has been seniors."

"The focus on the (Old Age Security) changes that the Conservative government is implementing is kind of unravelling and making seniors very concerned about how the government runs and deals with seniors," Nanos said.

Nanos said the results suggest the Conservatives need to have some kind of strategy to re-engage this group, which tends to have high voter-turnout and engagement. But the 24 per cent of respondents who are "unsure" show there is room for the Conservatives to roll out policies to re-engage this critical segment of voters, Nanos added.

Parties in tight battle for new Canadians

The NDP also had a wide margin in the lead when it came to students, a traditional area of support for the party. New Democrats were seen as the most sensitive to students' needs by 25 per cent of respondents, compared to 13.6 per cent for the Conservatives and 13.1 per cent for the Liberals. Fourteen per cent chose "none," while 27 per cent were unsure.

While voter turnout among young people has lagged other age groups, Nanos noted that may be changing in provinces such as Quebec, where student-led protests may be signalling a greater engagement. The survey suggests that could be an advantage for NDP Leader Tom Mulcair.

The numbers for new Canadians were much closer, essentially a three-way battle between the NDP at 19.9 per cent, the Conservatives at 17.9 and the Liberals at 17.1 per cent. More then 31 per cent said they were unsure which party was most sensitive to the needs of new Canadians, while 9.7 per cent said none of the parties.

"The good news for the Liberals: at least they are competitive with the Conservatives and New Democrats on this measure, but for the Conservatives this has to be a little disappointing. It's been a priority group for them, they've made key in-roads. In certain select ridings - the Mississaugas, the Bramptons - new Canadians have made the Conservatives and put them over the top because of all that legwork that (Immigration Minister) Jason Kenney has done."

The national online survey of 1,000 Canadians was conducted June 11 to 12. It is not a scientifically random sample and therefore a margin of error can't be stated.

NDP seen as most in touch with seniors, survey suggests - Politics - CBC News

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A group of people that is looking for freebees will tend to gravitate to any politician that wants to buy them with their grandchildren's money.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
A group of people that is looking for freebees will tend to gravitate to any politician that wants to buy them with their grandchildren's money.

I don't think seniors would appreciate your generalization.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Right,and just how did steve get in,he lied his ass off,and now people are starting to see him and his lackys for what they are.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Best con excuses when the CPC screws up..

1.) It's all the Leeeberals fault!
2.) The Leeeeberals did it, so we can too!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Best con excuses when the CPC screws up..

1.) It's all the Leeeberals fault!
2.) The Leeeeberals did it, so we can too!

1, Because it may fall under legislation the Liberals enacted.
2, I haven't seen. I have however seen people point out that the claims that the present gov't is doing things never done before, are completely false, followed up with examples of similar or same Liberal wrong doing.

I'm not surprised that the latter is taken out of context or otherwise ignored by those with an agenda, stuck in an ideology. It's a condition prone to logical failings and limited objectivity.

Flossing the poll. :lol:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Apparently, at 60, I'm considered a senior altho' I don't consider myself one. I work full time and plan to as long as possible (and as long as I'm productive) 'cuz I think retirement will kill me!

If seniors, in general, prefer the NDP over other parties, then they don't give a crap about their grandkids at all. The NDP, I think, feel that government can do everything for everyone and of course that's absurd. Our country and those like ours, have been successful purely through the efforts of individuals through hard work, determination and the fortitude to continue through thick and thin, good and bad. No government will ever do that.

Unfortunately, some of our young people (and not so young) are going to learn that demanding things without actually working for or "earning" it won't work if there's no one.to provide the resources. But I also have faith that there are those in the younger generation who know full well what it takes to succeed. I just hope they're not going to be penalized by those who don't i.e. the takers. There seems to be a lot of those around now-a-days and they're not all big Corporations!!

JMHO

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's the OAS changes.

The Cons are fukking up, and their best line is 'it won't kick in for another 10 years.'

Quite sad, and pathetic - but they're paying the price by losing a major part of their constituency. That seniors - SENIORS are swinging from right to left just goes to show that Harper's dropping the ball.

He has three more years to sell this, but it will take some work to regain their trust after breaking so many campaign promises in such a short timeframe.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
In the 11th hour he'll hire back all the folks he laid off,and meby bring back the time honoured tradition {here anyway}of RUM.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Apparently, at 60, I'm considered a senior altho' I don't consider myself one. I work full time and plan to as long as possible (and as long as I'm productive) 'cuz I think retirement will kill me!

If seniors, in general, prefer the NDP over other parties, then they don't give a crap about their grandkids at all. The NDP, I think, feel that government can do everything for everyone and of course that's absurd. Our country and those like ours, have been successful purely through the efforts of individuals through hard work, determination and the fortitude to continue through thick and thin, good and bad. No government will ever do that.

Unfortunately, some of our young people (and not so young) are going to learn that demanding things without actually working for or "earning" it won't work if there's no one.to provide the resources. But I also have faith that there are those in the younger generation who know full well what it takes to succeed. I just hope they're not going to be penalized by those who don't i.e. the takers. There seems to be a lot of those around now-a-days and they're not all big Corporations!!

JMHO

Good post Dixie, for fear of being tedious I will repeat "N.D.P. is a very good form of Gov't. until someone ELSE'S money runs out"! :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What freebies? In case you haven't noticed, seniors have been paying their whoile working lives into their pensions and whatnot.
QUOTE]

Good point (much to the likes of Cannucks chagrin) The only comment I would make out of fairness is the seniors of today did spend their active years in times of relative peace and prosperity compared to those who came through two World wars and a depression! :smile:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Good point (much to the likes of Cannucks chagrin) The only comment I would make out of fairness is the seniors of today did spend their active years in times of relative peace and prosperity compared to those who came through two World wars and a depression! :smile:
Korea, the recession in the 80s, the housing bubble crap, etc. notwithstanding.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Korea, the recession in the 80s, the housing bubble crap, etc. notwithstanding.

Yep, there were a few in Korea (born before 1935) As far as the recession of the 80s most of the people I knew did do a little belt tightening but most of us still kept our jobs. The recession of the 80s did accomplish a couple of good things, interest rates plummeted after 1982 and house prices reached a low in 1985.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
In the 11th hour he'll hire back all the folks he laid off,and meby bring back the time honoured tradition {here anyway}of RUM.

You wish.

What freebies? In case you haven't noticed, seniors have been paying their whoile working lives into their pensions and whatnot.
Now I am wondering why you picked "taxslave" as a nickname here.

They also got cheap medical and cheap education for their kids along with fairly low taxes which is why we now have a debt that their grandchildren will be paying off. That is pretty much a freebee.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
You wish.

They also got cheap medical and cheap education for their kids along with fairly low taxes which is why we now have a debt that their grandchildren will be paying off. That is pretty much a freebee.

That is not why we have a debt. We have a debt after thirty years of Right Wing policy that has reduced government revenues and, or, misapplied those revenues to military adventures and the like while shifting the resources to that sector of society that does not need the benefits.