How do you rank in your emotional level towards Quebec sovereignty?

What's your emotional intensity towards Quebec sovereignty?

Votes: 7 33.3%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 19.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If a 0 is a "don't care either way, and have no interest in either bribing them to stay or kicking them out" attitude, and a 9 is "would fight to the death to keep them in the country or would be willing to kick them out pronto and hope the door doesn't hit them in the butt on their way out" attitude, where would you rank in your emotional intensity towards Quebec.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted 0 since I really don't care either way. That said, I would be pretty irate if we either side started playing double standards (Quebec can separate from Canada but First Nations can't, or other such double standards).

It's not gonna happen.

What's not gonna happen? Quebec sovereignty?

I doubt it too, at least not for many, many years. but this thread is not about that, but more about how emotionally people react to the subject.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What's not gonna happen? Quebec sovereignty?

I doubt it too, at least not for many, many years. but this thread is not about that, but more about how emotionally people react to the subject.

Doesn't really matter to me because it's not going to happen.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Someone voted 7. So it looks like someone on here either wants to kick Quebec out with full force or alternatively would fight to keep Quebec in even if it meant doing so on the battlefield pretty much.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I voted 7 for the simple reason that I am a Quebecer and that whatever happens will have a strong impact on my life.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted 7 for the simple reason that I am a Quebecer and that whatever happens will have a strong impact on my life.

It would have a significant impact on all Canadians.

Certainly I might worry about the possible impact, but a responsible separation, or alternatively a responsible resolution making all Quebecers or nearly all want to remain in Canada, would not in itself stir me emotionally in the least, either way.

Irresponsibility either way would be a different matter however, but I was thinking more of separatism as such in the poll. Perhaps I should have clarified that more clearly.

Honestly, fanatical emotionalism and the resultant sometiems violent rhetoric on either side of the debate worries me more than the actual issue itself.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Quebec leaving will definitely have an impact on all Canadians. OTH continually sucking up to the separatists has a significant negative impact on all of us as well, both financial and emotional.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Quebec leaving will definitely have an impact on all Canadians. OTH continually sucking up to the separatists has a significant negative impact on all of us as well, both financial and emotional.

I think pushing Quebec out would be a mistake, but bribing them to stay would be an equal mistake. I'd say probably the healthiest attitude would be:

We'll live our lives and if you want to stay with us you're welcome to and if you want to leave we can still be friends but we do expect fair play from both sides.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Is it not possible to get through that millions of Quebeckers identify as Canadians. If Quebec is allowed to separate as an undivided entity, you are agreeing with the notion that (say) four million Quebeckers can force 3 1/2 million Quebeckers to cease to be Canadian and become something less.

And that all those English speaking Canadians who live in the Province of Quebec can be abandoned and left to the tender mercies of a gang of xenophobes who are determined to eradicate English in Quebec.

Your apathy translated to the political level has already allowed those Anglophones to be deprived of many of their Rights as Canadians.

That says nothing about the position of the indigenous peoples who have always linked more closely to the English culture.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im not quite sure what I should pick. I would prefer to keep them in the country but ultimately think that should be up to them. Everyone should have the right to self determination. That would go for any province though.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I voted 9 because I would be very very sad if quebec separated and 'was not' part of canada

quebec is canada just like all others who were born here and consider canada 'their own' country.

The differences should be embraced and also controlled by both the english and the french canadians

so that neither party 'hurts' their country.

I rode by train from halifax to prince rupert a few years ago, and the massiveness of our country is

amazing, and the ride thru quebec was exciting for me, as I had never set foot in that part of the

country before.

In the middle of the night,in quebec, as we zoomed along, I caught sight of a small lit up christmas tree,

set up close by, all by itself, where the train would pass,

put there by someone to say hello to all on the train, such a warm greeting indeed from a quebecer to

a bc er like myself, certainly nothing unfriendly about that, just the opposite, much more like an

outstretched hand.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Paranoid.
Do you really think you can get into a debate about that. There is no paranoia except in one of your choices.

When I was active in Quebec, the concept in PQ circles followed the vague psychological concept that minorities when they are less than 14% of the population cease to be a factor. The Anglophone population at that time was closer to twenty percent. After the language laws and the 600,00+ who left the province, it fell to about 10%. The nearly ten percent account for the closer vote in the 1995 referendum and the lack of protest in the population.

You don't know what you are getting into.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
At some point after i'd lived in Montreal for about 7 years, i came to the revelation that Quebec would never separate. That Canada was indivisible.

The separatist elements.. which is no more than 1/3 of the 'pure laine'.. manages to gain much of public attention with threats.. and sabre rattling.. but does not speak for the other 2/3... even if you discount the English and Immigrant sections of Quebec.. which are overwhelmingly Canadian in patriotism.

Another 1/3 of the French population is largely apolitical.. or in favour of political patronage from the Federal goverment that stems from separatist threats.. and 1/3 are dedicated to Canada. In fact in this latter group they tend to be much more fervently patriotic, wearing it on their sleeves.. than is the norm for the rest of the country.

So, at least 2/3 of Quebec's founding French population realize that separation would be a disaster for the French language, Quebecois culture and the economy.. without the buffer of Canada which has continually protected the integrity of the Quebec identity since the Quebec Act of Lord Dorchester protected the language, religion and social conventions of French Canada in 1774.

These demographics have been static for decades. The so called fluidity comes from the middle third who have no deep affinity to a separate Quebec, and simply display discontent with the status quo when in economic down cycles. So i am simply not worried about Quebec separation.. i'm confident it will never happen.

Last edited: