'Happy Endings' movie coming soon

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Taxpayers bolster Layton legend

Coming to a small screen near you, Smilin' Jack: The Jack Layton Story.

Even if you wouldn't shell out for it at the box office, you'll certainly be paying for it through your taxes.

CBC has now officially confirmed its plans to make a TV movie about the life of former opposition leader Jack Layton.

The project is described as a lead-up to the 2011 election, focusing on the romance between Layton and wife Olivia Chow.

Sure, one could pick worse subjects for a Canadian TV movie. In a QMI Agency/Leger poll conducted in the run up the last federal election, Layton was most likeable. He was the leader Canadians would have most liked to have a beer with.

But we can't help but wonder if the state broadcaster is going to tell Layton's full story, warts and all, or if this will just be gushing praise. After all, their news department never shied away from showing their love for him.

Will they bring up some of the less shining moments in Layton's career?

Will they bring up his opposition, while on Toronto council, to the creation of the SkyDome? To bringing the 1996 Olympics to Toronto? To the creation of a new subway line that would have been completed by 2011?

Will they bring up his time spent living with Chow and her mother in an affordable housing unit?

Will they bring up his visit to a massage parlour at the time of a police raid?

We're not being unduly skeptical. We know taxpayer-funded political films aren't always the most balanced.

After all, the last biopic of a major Canadian politician wasn't balanced.

The 2011 film Mulroney: The Opera -- which received tax dollars from Telefilm Canada -- certainly put its subject through the wringer.

"It is at once a comedy and a tragedy," explains Telefilm's website. What about a serious drama? Or a historical account? Nope. Maybe that has something to do with Mulroney not being a left-winger. Or maybe we're just paranoid.

We all know the state broadcaster is politically biased. We all know they have no qualms with how they spend the billion dollars of your money they receive annually.

Jack and his supporters may smile after seeing this film, but we doubt taxpayers will.

Sun News : Taxpayers bolster Layton legend

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Slagging and character assassination is what conservatives do best. Sun news proves once again they are the best at it.

And Walter and captain... I rest my case.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Nah, you got it all wrong Cliffy... The Liberals are want to take it to the nth degree by offering-up the nazi salute in the House of Commons.

But on the Layton note, he was the one that made all of those poor decisions - no one made them for him or forced him into anything.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Slagging and character assassination is what conservatives do best. Sun news proves once again they are the best at it.

And Walter and captain... I rest my case.
Thank-you for recognizing my abilities.

Who's going to play his mother-in-law, the one who was supposedly living in subsidized housing yet Jack and Olivia were living there, too?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could be interesting. I liked the first Trudeau miniseries they did. The second not so much. I also didnt care for their movie about John A. from last year.