Parks Canada staff banned from criticizing Feds

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Workers told they have 'duty' to support Harper government

Parks Canada employees across the country have received letters warning they're not allowed to criticize the agency or the federal government.

The directive comes as the agency cuts hundreds of jobs or curtails work hours.

"I am aware that during this time of significant transition, the concept of loyalty can have a very particular meaning. However, as employees of the public sector, our duty is to support the elected government," employees were told.

Workers are not supposed to speak about the cuts, whether at meetings, forums or through social media. Only designated people are allowed to deal with journalists.

Anyone who has an issue is supposed to go through internal processes, like filing a grievance, or talk with a supervisor, human resources manager or the Parks Canada ombudsman.

A copy of the letter, obtained by CBC News, is signed by Chip Bird, field unit superintendent in Cape Breton.

But thousands of federal workers got a similar warning.

Eddie Kennedy, national executive vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, said the letter went out to 4,800 agency employees around Canada three weeks ago.

"If you're in a coffee shop and you're criticizing the Harper government and there's someone sitting beside you and they know you work for a government department, technically you're in violation of the code of ethics," he told CBC News on Thursday.

The letter says the "duty of loyalty" to Parks Canada is spelled out in that code of ethics.

"The duty of loyalty includes the duty to refrain from public criticism of the Government of Canada when speaking as an employee of the agency. Breaching the duty of loyalty may lead to disciplinary action," it states.

Kennedy said he's not aware of any employee being disciplined for speaking out.

'Gag order'

One worker agreed to speak to CBC News as long as he wasn't identified.

"I only have weeks to retirement," the employee said. "It's the Harper government. What can you say? It's a gag order. It has to be challenged."

If there is a complaint against an employee, the union plans to fight it. Kennedy said they will turn to the Canadian Human Rights Commission if necessary.

Kennedy said other government departments are including similar language in their codes of ethics.
It means the government's line is the only one getting out, he said.

"If the government's doing cuts, the only message you're getting on that are their prepared media lines on the cuts. And most government departments aren't going to come out and say, 'Our cuts are going to reduce the services to Canadians, or they're going to close this office, or you're going to have a harder time qualifying for unemployment insurance.'"

The letter says there are "exceptional circumstances" to this rule, though it doesn't give specifics: "To determine whether public criticism is acceptable, the duty of loyalty must be balanced against other interests, such as freedom of expression."

Union representatives who are designated spokesmen, like Kennedy, "enjoy a much greater scope of freedom of expression."

Parks Canada staff banned from criticizing Feds - Politics - CBC News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Workers told they have 'duty' to support Harper government

Parks Canada employees across the country have received letters warning they're not allowed to criticize the agency or the federal government.

Parks Canada staff banned from criticizing Feds - Politics - CBC News

Harper wouldn't be getting a little insecure would he? I know there is such a thing as loyalty but perhaps these employees don't have much to be loyal about! Is it Harper's intent to curtail freedom of speech? I listened to an interview with Bob Rae last night, and he actually impressed as a seemingly pretty modest, well grounded guy with a lot of good ideas and I'm beginning to think he's not quite as bad as I thought. Maybe he SHOULD throw his hat in the ring. Stevie is self destructing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a cousin who was fined... no joke, fined... for criticizing the government on his facebook page. He works for the federal library. So, it's not just the parks workers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have a cousin who was fined... no joke, fined... for criticizing the government on his facebook page. He works for the federal library. So, it's not just the parks workers.

That fricken' Facebook is just a good thing to stay away from altogether, from what I can see. :lol:

If I was your cousin, I'd fight that "tooth and nail" unless there's a statute somewhere, saying "Thou shalt not criticise thy gov't on Facebook". It's BULLSH*T, Karrie!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
OK this sounds a freaking lot like communism,STFU or its the gulag for you.

People should expect ramifications when taking a run at your employer, this circumstance isn't anything new in the world.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
People should expect ramifications when taking a run at your employer, this circumstance isn't anything new in the world.

No... People should be able to complain to family and friends about company policies which adversely affect them. Anything less is a dictatorship.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No... People should be able to complain to family and friends about company policies which adversely affect them. Anything less is a dictatorship.

Perhaps it would be wise though to wait until they have another job lined up! :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
How anti-capitalist of you cap'n.

Criticism is healthy for every organization.

Tit for tat MF... An employee decides to take action doesn't mean that the employer is prohibited from doing so.

From what you posted earlier, it sounded like your relative made a statement about the library that was highly public in nature - and in 'print' as well.

On that note, we must recognize that what was offered was opinion. Further, the comment may also negatively affect the library as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From what you posted earlier, it sounded like your relative made a statement about the library that was highly public in nature - and in 'print' as well.

On that note, we must recognize that what was offered was opinion. Further, the comment may also negatively affect the library as well.

Well, Facebook certainly exceeds "family and friends", however I doubt very much if a comment on Facebook will adversely affect the library. Patrons of the library probably have better things to read than Facebook! :lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I asked the question rhetorically.

The article specifically identified public forms:

"Workers are not supposed to speak about the cuts, whether at meetings, forums or through social media."

In my opinion, this is not entirely egregious as the majority of those employees will not have the full information on the logic behind the actions that are being taken.

Speculating on the underlying reasons on the cuts and delivering a judgement based on speculation in a public forum invites consequences.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, Facebook certainly exceeds "family and friends", however I doubt very much if a comment on Facebook will adversely affect the library. Patrons of the library probably have better things to read than Facebook! :lol:

Evidently their employers don't.

Commenting on the OP:
Where I work, I am not allowed to speak about my company publically. They too have whole department about media relations. A typical company does want to present the image they want to present to the public. What I see here is that the government is trying to do the same thing. However, given its the government, I would agree only that they should not be publically commenting on work their individual department is working on. For example, a worker in Parks Canada should be free to voice displeasure of their local MP or government handling of the budget bill but not about how Parks Canada is being run. That is where I would draw the line.