Manitoba NDP implement biggest tax hike in 25 years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The biggest tax increase in 25 years is official, after the NDP passed its budget implementation bill Tuesday.

The biggest increases - namely charging provincial sales tax on items such as home insurance and services like haircuts and manicures - will come into effect July 1.

There will also be a $35 increase in vehicle registration fees.

The NDP's $182-million tax-hike budget, announced April 17, is the largest overall provincial tax increase since 1987. With an additional $83 million in higher user fees and other charges, including higher fees for things like birth certificates and child abuse registry checks, the budget offers a $265-million increase in taxes and fees for 2012.

Capital investment in highways will drop by nearly $16 million.

The first tax hike to kick in was 2.5 cents per cigarette effective April 17.

Sun News : Manitoba NDP implement biggest tax hike in 25 years

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Raising taxes and cutting spending on highways? Sounds like tax-n-axe, an effective way to pay off the debt quickly.

Sounds fiscally responsible enough to me.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Raising taxes and cutting spending on highways? Sounds like tax-n-axe, an effective way to pay off the debt quickly.

Sounds fiscally responsible enough to me.

You mean cut and spend isn't a fiscally responsible platform? ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The biggest tax increase in 25 years is official, after the NDP passed its budget implementation bill Tuesday.

The biggest increases - namely charging provincial sales tax on items such as home insurance and services like haircuts and manicures - will come into effect July 1.

There will also be a $35 increase in vehicle registration fees.

The NDP's $182-million tax-hike budget, announced April 17, is the largest overall provincial tax increase since 1987. With an additional $83 million in higher user fees and other charges, including higher fees for things like birth certificates and child abuse registry checks, the budget offers a $265-million increase in taxes and fees for 2012.

Capital investment in highways will drop by nearly $16 million.

The first tax hike to kick in was 2.5 cents per cigarette effective April 17.

Sun News : Manitoba NDP implement biggest tax hike in 25 years

Typically part of the N.D.P. philosophy! :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now the question is: will they use that money responsibly (i.e. to pay off the debt). That remains to be seen.

It's kind of ironic when you think of it that politicians can't seem to find the brains or common sense to run the economy the same as you would your household budget, eg. after essentials are taken care of you move next to getting rid of your highest interest debt! Idiots. :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They'll use the money to invest in energy...just watch.

Then at least make sure we all pay equally; none of this subsidizing some people's energy bills and not others'. I don't mind them raising my electricity bill as long as they raise everyone's. But if they insist on lowering some people's, then I expect them to lower mine too.

Also, to invest electricity fees into reneywable resources would be reasonable too if that is what's needed.