Doug ford apologizes for on-air racist gaffe

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Doug ford apologizes for on-air gaffe

Toronto Councillor Doug Ford has apologized after using an anti-Polish slur on his Newstalk 1010 radio show with his brother Mayor Rob Ford. While discussing the Euro 2012 soccer championship, Councillor Ford told his brother: "You're married to the Polack, so you gotta cheer for the Polish team." The mayor's wife, Renata, is of Polish descent. The mayor did not seem offended by the word, saying simply that his wife is not a big sports fan. Toward the end of the show, Councillor Ford apologized for using the word "Polack," which is widely perceived as being discriminatory. "Rob, you're going home with your Polish little princess. I'm sure I'm in trouble. I want to apologize to my extended Polish family.... I didn't realize it was derogatory. But anyways, my sincerest apologies, because I love our Polish friends."

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Another big story about a minor thing.
will they wake the frak up i think some still ay wop(sp) when they talk about italians or frogs when speacking of french or french quebecers,do any of them freak out NO

Message to the political correctness police, GET A LIFE

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Don't know how 'big' a story it is...:lol:

To some I guess, but it is a minor thing. That's for sure.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Another big story about a minor thing.
will they wake the frak up i think some still ay wop(sp) when they talk about italians or frogs when speacking of french or french quebecers,do any of them freak out NO

Message to the political correctness police, GET A LIFE

Meh.

I don't really care myself. My parents are Italian and hearing wop, greaseball and other derogatory crap is just fridge buzz now, but Dougie should probably know that there will be people out there who are legitimately offended.

Not a smart move on his part, that's for sure.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Toronto Councillor Doug Ford has apologized after using an anti-Polish slur on his Newstalk 1010 radio show with his brother Mayor Rob Ford. While discussing the Euro 2012 soccer championship, Councillor Ford told his brother: "You're married to the Polack, so you gotta cheer for the Polish team." The mayor's wife, Renata, is of Polish descent. The mayor did not seem offended by the word, saying simply that his wife is not a big sports fan. Toward the end of the show, Councillor Ford apologized for using the word "Polack," which is widely perceived as being discriminatory. "Rob, you're going home with your Polish little princess. I'm sure I'm in trouble. I want to apologize to my extended Polish family.... I didn't realize it was derogatory. But anyways, my sincerest apologies, because I love our Polish friends."

He made a mistake and apologized. Case closed.

Meh.

I don't really care myself. My parents are Italian and hearing wop, greaseball and other derogatory crap is just fridge buzz now, but Dougie should probably know that there will be people out there who are legitimately offended.

Not a smart move on his part, that's for sure.

Apologizing for a mistake is not a smart move?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Making the mistake is not a smart move.

OK. If he could somehow go back in time to retract it and he didn't, that would be an issue. He cannot go back in time to retract it therefore apologizing is about the best he can do. Add to that that it appears that he was not aware it was a racist slur. Intent counts too.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
OK. If he could somehow go back in time to retract it and he didn't, that would be an issue. He cannot go back in time to retract it therefore apologizing is about the best he can do. Add to that that it appears that he was not aware it was a racist slur. Intent counts too.

Of course.

I don't personally take any offense to it, but I know that in T.O., people are very sensitive to this kind of stuff. It's like the pride thing - even if it is not a major duty for the administration, people will take that into judgement.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
:lol:

But then it wouldn't qualify as an 'attack the right' story.

"Doug Ford almost did something stupid today but stopped short".

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

But then it wouldn't qualify as an 'attack the right' story.

"Doug Ford almost did something stupid today but stopped short".

I can't help it if most of the stupidity comes from that side of the political spectrum.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Of course.

I don't personally take any offense to it, but I know that in T.O., people are very sensitive to this kind of stuff. It's like the pride thing - even if it is not a major duty for the administration, people will take that into judgement.

I'm not denying that "Polak" is derogatory. However, I think most Torontonians will consider that he did appear not to be aware of that fact. I'll still give Torontonians credit for that at least.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm not denying that "Polak" is derogatory. However, I think most Torontonians will consider that he did appear not to be aware of that fact. I'll still give Torontonians credit for that at least.

Right.

Which is why he's as tactful as Archie Bunker.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
LOL today we could not see a show like that being made,people would go apesh*t over it,and burn whoever had the main role in effigy.

I don't know about that.. it's clear that the piece is satire. It's one thing if a slimeball politician says it and another if it appears as some form of media with that kind of intended purpose.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Of course.

Some people in T.O. are. I would suggest that those that are probably need to get a life.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006

This is a non-story.
The Fords are not politically correct. The voters didn't care at the polls, and they don't care now.

Pollack is not "politically correct", but one would have to try very hard to be offended by such a term, particularly when Doug's sister in law is from Poland. Anyone without bias, could tell that this was meant as a good-natured ribbing.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
When did Polak beome derogatory? I'm a Kraut; big fukking deal.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can't help it if most of the stupidity comes from that side of the political spectrum.
And enacting a green initiative by-law, that padded the accounts of major food chains was smart?

Hmmm, tell me again why your perception shouldn't be described as skewed or biased?

Some people in T.O. are. I would suggest that those that are probably need to get a life.
I think his opinion that people in Toronto are overly sensitive, is projection. If not, it certainly isn't a smart move to generalize the whole of Toronto in such a derogatory way.