Canadians will pay for Harper's approach to environment: former Tory

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canadians will pay for Harper's approach to environment: former Tory

OTTAWA — Canadians will "pay a price" for Prime Minister Stephen Harper's unbalanced and mistaken approach on environmental issues, says a former Reform and Conservative party MP.

"I always thought that 'conserve' was part of the Conservative mantra, but I might be wrong," Bob Mills said Thursday at a news conference organized by Green Party leader Elizabeth May. "Stephen Harper puts other priorities, I think, ahead of the environment, and I think that's a mistake."

Mills, who served as environment critic for the Conservatives in opposition and later chaired the House of Commons environment committee for the governing party from 2006 to 2008, travelled from Alberta to Ottawa to deliver his criticism, which focused on the government's decision to do away with an advisory panel known as the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy.

About 30 employees and members of the panel, established by the government of former prime minister Brian Mulroney in the 1990s, learned it would be eliminated, along with $5 million in annual funding, in the 2012 budget. Mills and other former and current members of the panel sent a letter to Harper, asking the government to reverse its decision.

Environment Minister Peter Kent has said he decided to eliminate the panel, suggesting that its advice could be obtained from the Internet and other sources.

Mills said shutting down the panel would further add to Canada's international reputation as an environmental "laggard."

"I've always said that if you're smart, you surround yourself with really smart people and if you're dumb, you surround yourself with a bunch of cheerleaders," said Mills, who represented the Alberta riding of Red Deer from 1993 to 2008.

A spokesman for Kent said the government is successfully creating jobs while protecting the environment, through efforts to introduce new regulations cracking down on pollution and increasing conservation and protected areas in national parks. Kent's office also noted that new figures on Canada's greenhouse gas emissions show that pollution levels are remaining steady while the economy is growing.

But another Conservative politician, former Nova Scotia environment minister Mark Parent also said at the news conference that the federal and provincial governments are neglecting environmental concerns and making short-sighted decisions that will damage the Canadian economy in the long-term.

"Anyone who says they're an economic genius when they take attitudes such as we've been seeing — with not just unfortunately the federal government, but I see it with provincial governments — are wrong," said Parent, also a member of the round table. "It's for political short-term reasons; it's not for long-term economic reasons. It's not economically sensible."

Mills added that the issues examined by the panel were done from a balanced perspective by Canadians from all walks of life who were researching options for sustainable development and economic prosperity. He said the round table never suggested that people should be living in caves without electricity or cars and questioned how the government could get reliable and relevant advice from either the Internet or separate groups.

Mills said he supports some efforts of the government to improve the environmental assessment process and reduce red tape, but felt obliged to speak out against a policies he says he believes are wrong.

"I don't agree with Elizabeth (May) a lot of times, but the point is I know she's genuine and caring about the environment," said Mills. "I think the people here know the importance of the environment and the economy — tying them together and moving forward. I really mean that down the road, we're going to pay a price for not putting those two together."

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"I always thought that 'conserve' was part of the Conservative mantra, but I might be wrong," Bob Mills said Thursday at a news conference organized by Green Party leader Elizabeth May. "Stephen Harper puts other priorities, I think, ahead of the environment, and I think that's a mistake."

So nothing is as important as the environment? Nothing? Nothing at all?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Seems Bob has aquired a different religion. He sure has a different take than when i knew him when he was my kid's school teacher.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Who is no longer an MP and more importantly sat for long enough to get a solid gold pension courtesy of working people, most of whom must continue to work to make ends meet.

How does that make him any different from any other MP in the same situation..

Oh wait, he goes against the CPC agenda?

Please.

I can understand your rationale for criticizing money hoarding vampires, but c'mon - that's not the issue here.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Who is no longer an MP and more importantly sat for long enough to get a solid gold pension courtesy of working people, most of whom must continue to work to make ends meet.

This is something i find insulting for canadians,these guys spend a few years in office as MP or oppositions,and get pension for life(big ones btw) while regular joe work his ass off for 3 or 4 decades,and gets much much less,and if he lose his job,he again does not get much.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
How does that detract from his knowledge of environmental issues? He spent 15 years in Parliament and several of those years his mandate was the environment: much of it at a time when even the Conservatives were concerned about the environment

He surely knows far more bout it than anyone who has served under Harper since he changes his environment minister almost as often as he changes his stories about the Conservative agenda.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It's still a presumption.

An irrelevant one. One you can go find the answer to if you actually care.

It doesn't change the fact that our current environment minister believes he can learn everything there is to know about the environment by googling it.

People should not have confidence in such an elected official.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

You can do as well just as easily regarding the panel and the source of their info

Yet, a panel that is described as a 'Round Table Panel' represents an authority?

On that note, between gvt agencies, NFP watchdogs and a raft of provincial and federal regulators - do we really need to institute another body in this area, or is it a simple waste of money?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

It doesn't change the fact that our current environment minister believes he can learn everything there is to know about the environment by googling it.

But the Usual AGW Suspect here at CC use the net to push their agenda, and support their claims, ad nauseum.

Why the double standard?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You can do as well just as easily regarding the panel and the source of their info

Yet, a panel that is described as a 'Round Table Panel' represents an authority?

On that note, between gvt agencies, NFP watchdogs and a raft of provincial and federal regulators - do we really need to institute another body in this area, or is it a simple waste of money?

I don't care about the panel and its source of info. The panel is dead, the environment minister killed it, and in its place he has decided to trust Yahoo. That is what I care about, an elected official who believes everything he reads on the internet.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How many agencies researching the or monitoring the same thing is enough?
When all the Occupiers have been employed by one panel or another, devoted to promoting the AGW theory, then there will be enough.

That is what I care about, an elected official who believes everything he reads on the internet.
That stretching things a bit don't you think?

There are reputable sources on the net as well as disreputable. Is CanLII a reputable source for case law? As apposed to Law & Order reruns on YouTube?

You'd have to establish he's encompassing the whole in his statement.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't care about the panel and its source of info. The panel is dead, the environment minister killed it, and in its place he has decided to trust Yahoo. That is what I care about, an elected official who believes everything he reads on the internet.

Great, then why care about the new methodology?... It didn't matter then, so why does it matter now?

Here's a solution by the way, and Kent clearly articulates the logic in the decision.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/106932-sask-ottawa-reach-deal-greenhouse.html

*Note: No wiki references