Government must stop charging Canada airports rent, report urges

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Government must stop charging Canada airports rent, report urges

(Reuters) - The Canadian government should stop treating the country's airports as revenue sources and instead cut industry costs to stop millions of travelers heading to the United States for cheaper air travel, a Parliamentary committee report said.

High costs and inefficiencies throughout Canada's airline industry are deterring demand for air travel and discouraging competition among carriers, according to the report by the standing Senate committee on transport and communications.

One way to reduce costs is for the federal government to stop charging airports ground rent and to transfer Canada's main airports to the authorities that already operate them, the 15-page report said.

"The government of Canada should stop treating airports as a source of public revenue, such as toll booths, and start treating them as economic spark plugs," said Senator Dennis Dawson, chairman of the Senate committee.

The Canadian Airports Council estimates that in 2011, 4.8 million Canadians drove south into the United States to take advantage of lower American fares, an increase of 15 percent from 2010.

A spokeswoman for Transport Canada said the government department was reviewing the report's findings. She said the Canada's air industry is based on a user-pay system, not a taxpayer-subsidized one.

"Airport rent accounts for less than 1 percent of the total ticket price for air travel, and is not likely to be a key factor in a traveler's decision to choose a U.S. airport over a Canadian airport," spokeswoman Genevieve Sicard said in an email.

The Senate report said passengers departing from Canadian airports often pay 60-75 percent above the airline's base fare to cover airport and other taxes and charges, compared with between 10 and 18 percent in the United States.

Airports have generated C$2.5 billion ($2.41 billion) in revenues for the federal government in the form of ground rents since the mid-1990s, the report said.

The report also calls for a "single and cohesive" national air travel strategy to make the industry more competitive.

The Senate is the unelected chamber in Canada's Parliament, and while it therefore does not direct government policy, it can have an influence in delving deeper into topics that the House of Commons might not have time for. ($1 = 1.0395 Canadian dollars)

Government must stop charging Canada airports rent, report urges | Canada | Reuters

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I find it interesting that most people didn't catch on to this little game a long time ago.
I talked to an airline pilot a while back and he told me that the whole system of taking
off our shoes and going through these machines and accepting the long lines and going
through all this nonsense is one of the greatest hoaxes anywhere. It does not prevent an
attack or deter a single terrorist. It employees people, it make the people feel a false
sense of security and it allows them to abuse you without feeling offended.
Besides if they do all this, they don't have to do anything else, because if something goes
wrong you won't blame them.
It is an exercise in making you and I afraid and when we are afraid we depend on them to
keep us safe. People who are afraid feel grateful instead of abused and I think its time to
ask a lot more questions.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Charging excessive rents and getting you to pay for this stuff requires that it is a part
of keeping you safe in a busy place. Once you are addicted to being abused and you
accept it you are also very willing to pay for it and pay you do. They get to expand
and they get to build more facilities to protect you from a danger that is really a
minimal one. Put in the required coins and the cycle will repeat and the government
coffers will willingly fill.
The next stop for this, why if people are afraid enough they will also finance more prison,
and other money generating programs.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I find it interesting that most people didn't catch on to this little game a long time ago.
I talked to an airline pilot a while back and he told me that the whole system of taking
off our shoes and going through these machines and accepting the long lines and going
through all this nonsense is one of the greatest hoaxes anywhere. It does not prevent an
attack or deter a single terrorist. It employees people, it make the people feel a false
sense of security and it allows them to abuse you without feeling offended.
Besides if they do all this, they don't have to do anything else, because if something goes
wrong you won't blame them.
It is an exercise in making you and I afraid and when we are afraid we depend on them to
keep us safe. People who are afraid feel grateful instead of abused and I think its time to
ask a lot more questions.

That's the whole point of 90% of the anti-terrorism hoopla.

It accomplishes nothing except to keep the people afraid and in their places.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Airlines should pay enough rent to cover the cost of running the airports. Non flying taxpayers must not be forced to subsidize the tourism businesses.