N.B. airports losing out to American competitors: airport association

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
N.B. airports losing out to American competitors: airport association

FREDERICTON — The Atlantic Canada Airports Association says airports in New Brunswick are losing almost half of their business to U.S. airports close to the border.

Association president Keith Collins says the problem in New Brunswick is part of a national trend.

He says almost five million Canadian passengers departed from U.S. border airports in 2011.

Collins says that represents an economic loss of $1.3 billion.

In New Brunswick, ticket costs are notably higher than in the U.S. because of the Air Travellers Security Charge, the HST and the hidden cost of airport rent and other federal fees.

The association, which represents the CEOs who oversee Atlantic Canada’s airports, is meeting today in Fredericton.

N.B. airports losing out to American competitors: airport association | The Chronicle Herald

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Of course they are, and a lot of it has to do with Canadian airport fees, especially Toronto. Two years ago, we flew to Arizona for a vacation. We could have flown through Toronto, but it would have cost us at least $400 more per person than driving 2 extra hours and flying out of Bangor. And when you factor in the waiting times, there's not much time difference.

For a family of 4, that's $1600 saved.

I know the head of the local airport authority personally, and he knows they can't compete for people travelling to the US. When we have suppliers coming up from the US for a visit, I often suggest they fly to Bangor and rent a car.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Of course they are, and a lot of it has to do with Canadian airport fees, especially Toronto. Two years ago, we flew to Arizona for a vacation. We could have flown through Toronto, but it would have cost us at least $400 more per person than driving 2 extra hours and flying out of Bangor. And when you factor in the waiting times, there's not much time difference.

For a family of 4, that's $1600 saved.

I know the head of the local airport authority personally, and he knows they can't compete for people travelling to the US. When we have suppliers coming up from the US for a visit, I often suggest they fly to Bangor and rent a car.

Same with cross border shopping. If you make the flights so expesive of course people will cross the border to take a flight just like they will cross to get cheaper merchandise. If you can't compete, don't.