Oil Sand Myths

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
For me the big one is we need it.

The Myth is us Canadians are so soft we need to keep relying on fossil fuels to survive no matter the long term consequences...put another way what's going on could be analogous to burning candles in a sunken sub to play poker. You might have a good time but I'm guessing it's not going to end well when all the oxygen is gone. In the case of the oil sands there's going to be no way to avoid the severe affects of climate change if we emit billions of tons of carbon from oil sands production and using the end products.

What that will eventually mean is extreme weather like droughts and floods in increasing numbers and habitat change like has been going on in BC and Alaska with massive die-off of conifers as pests spread uncontrollably. It's now happening in Alberta.

Also massive flooding is becoming the norm in the spring in central Canada and the US, get used to the Red and other rivers cresting their banks more often. Also rising sea levels is going to make owning property on our coasts a living hell in coming decades.

So can we change, or are we as pathetic as the Conservatives keep trying to tell us we are by denying us honest information and repeatedly making attacks on our democratic system...Robo calls are just the latest installment on what is probably a long term plan for this country from the Conservative Party. I was talking to an old-timer here the other day who helped build the Al-Can highway during the war(he only had one good eye and couldn't get into the armed forces...and still regreted it) and he made me realize just how far we've come and how hard previous generations worked to get us here. Are we going to throw that away because the fear mongerers tell us we can't live without their control.

There are some seriously intelligent, resourceful, and creative people in this province and this country, unleashed I have no doubt they could turn the boat around in the space of a decade or less...if allowed.

So what do you think, will Canada overcome all the negative messages we're getting from the party currently in power about our abilities to adjust and triumph without destroying our amazing legacy...or will the forces of darkness(definitely in terms of how willing they are to share information) win out here?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Pine beetles happened in 1978,long before the oilsands had more then just shell involved.

It probably took about 5 pounds or bitumen laden sand for you to just make that post.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Or that we'll all die fiery carbonless deaths if we don't propel our economy forward like a '67 Chevy.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That all depends on the Chevy. There's a '67 Biscayne back in the bush here that hasn't moved a wheel in thirty years....

Okay, time to upgrade to the high-end shiz.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What that will eventually mean is extreme weather like droughts and floods .... massive flooding i... get used to the Red and other rivers cresting their banks more often. Also rising sea levels .

Are we going to throw that away because the fear mongerers tell us we can't live without their control.

... will Canada overcome all the negative messages..or will the forces of darkness(definitely in terms of how willing they are to share information) win out here?

*sigh*

You know, anyone with half a brain knows the basics. The reason we're doing such expensive oil exploration, is because we've run out of cheap oil. It's pretty simple to prove that cheap oil has ended, and we need alternatives, or else we're going to have to keep carrying on with messy, expensive exploration.

What ISN'T easy to prove, what IS simply more fearmongering, is all the bull I've left in the quote above.

Preaching an end to fear tactics makes no sense while you're doing the exact same thing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In sask. were drilling cheap wells,as fast as they can.Theres lots of fields that havent even been drilled yet.

Most of the drilling I know of happening in Sask right now are SAGD wells... quite expensive compared to conventional oil.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Most of the drilling I know of happening in Sask right now are SAGD wells... quite expensive compared to conventional oil.
Not in kindersley/Dodsland area,its all light oil,I do the pipelines inbetween the wells)one every 100 meters)and sometimes 2 wells per lease,it's all light crude.Theres absolutely no sagd in that area,thats farther north.

I listen to the rig count every day and its like 400 horizontal and 270 directional drilled just this year alone.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
This is just one of the players where im at.

2012 is focused on light oil growth. In 2012, 85% of capital will be focused on development.

In the Carbonates, Penn West will spend 35 % of its 2012 development capital. The company will have an average of 8 rigs running in the first quarter with a focus on the Slave Point, specifically at Otter. In 2012, Penn West expects to drill anywhere from 5 to 15 single lateral wells and 15 to 25 dual lateral wells at Slave Point, as well as 5 to 15 single lateral wells at Swan Hills. Penn West is the dominant player on this trend.
Approximately 20 to 25% of development capital will be allocated to the Cardium in 2012. The company will have five rigs running in early 2012 with focus on development in Willesden Green, Alder Flats and West Pembina. Penn West expects to drill 100 to 150 wells in 2012.
In the Spearfish play located in southern Manitoba, Penn West will spend 15 to 20% of development capital and expects to drill approximately 60 to 70 wells in 2012. With four rigs working continuously in the first quarter, this will be a full-scale, pad development at 24 wells per section. Expansion of the facilities from 7,000 bbls per day to 13,500 bbls per day is on schedule for completion in early 2012.
Approximately 15% of development capital will be directed to the Saskatchewan Viking. This play has advanced into a pure development mode and has three rigs currently active. In 2012, Penn West expects to drill 75 to 100 wells across the Viking trend.

http://www.pennwest.com/operations/development.html

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not in kindersley/Dodsland area,its all light oil,I do the pipelines inbetween the wells)one every 100 meters)and sometimes 2 wells per lease,it's all light crude.Theres absolutely no sagd in that area,thats farther north.

I listen to the rig count every day and its like 400 horizontal and 270 directional drilled just this year alone.

And farther south in the Bakken. But the long and short of it is that they're only doing the more expensive drilling because the cheap drilling is limited. If you have forecasts that cheap oil is going to carry forward for decades still, I'd love to see it.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
And farther south in the Bakken. But the long and short of it is that they're only doing the more expensive drilling because the cheap drilling is limited. If you have forecasts that cheap oil is going to carry forward for decades still, I'd love to see it.
Gas is at an all time low for price,many fields and refineries like Devon here in the pass are closing down,allmost all rigs are in Sask. drilling for light crude.There are lots of fields like public pastureland that could not be explored before due to enviro issues,these are now being drilled.Allmost all the 50+ wells I will tie in this year are on this sensitive land and this is just one company,theres lots drilling in the area.

A week per hole is a cheap well and they are now drilling 2 wells per lease site,thats how much oil is there..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Gas is at an all time low for price,many fields and refineries like Devon here in the pass are closing down,allmost all rigs are in Sask. drilling for light crude.There are lots of fields like public pastureland that could not be explored before due to enviro issues,these are now being drilled.Allmost all the 50+ wells I will tie in this year are on this sensitive land and this is just one company,theres lots drilling in the area.

A week per hole is a cheap well.

Gas is gas, oil is oil. Gas is low because it's relatively plentiful and easy to get to. Not so with oil nationwide. Endeavours like drilling in the Bakken, the Fort Mac oil sands, these are only profitable now due to the overall drop in availability of conventional oil.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Gas is gas, oil is oil. Gas is low because it's relatively plentiful and easy to get to. Not so with oil nationwide. Endeavours like drilling in the Bakken, the Fort Mac oil sands, these are only profitable now due to the overall drop in availability of conventional oil.
No,gas is at the lowest price in a decade,thats why no ones drilling for it and why huge fields like the coseka and new wells and plants are getting mothballed.Anyone who has seen the huge Coseaka gas plant coming into Alberta on highway #3 wont see it much longer,its getting shut down and that means lots of new wells will be shut down.Nobodys drilling for gas right now.
You dont drill or explore for something thats not profitable,Encanna shuts its gas exploration program right down when this happens

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And the artificial high price of a barrel of oil.

Yeah... there are a lot of factors.

So getting back to the OP boys... lol

Kakato... so is your assertion then that oil is going to flow forever and we need no other plan?