Stripping expatriate right to vote may be unconstitutional

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Law stripping voting rights from Canadian ex-pats unconstitutional, legal challenge argues

TORONTO — A law stripping voting rights from more than a million expatriate Canadians who have lived abroad for more than five years should be struck down as unconstitutional, according to a legal challenge served on the federal government Tuesday.

The new application, filed in Ontario Superior Court on behalf of two Canadians living in the United States, argues the five-year rule in the Canada Elections Act is arbitrary and unreasonable.

“I was very surprised to learn that I have no voting rights, that I have no capacity to interact with my government formally, that there’s no one representing me,” said Gillian Frank, 33, who works in Brooklyn, N.Y.

“My sense of being disenfranchised and the fundamental unfairness of it all motivated me (to file the suit).”

The Toronto-born Frank, who is completing post-doctoral studies in history, said he would gladly return to Canada with his Canadian wife and baby if he could find a suitable academic position.

Frank said he retains strong ties to Canada — a country that “emphasizes social justice” — and his decade-long absence has not displaced his attachment.

“I have a stake in the kind of country I want Canada to be,” said Frank, who served in the Canadian military and was a Governor-General’s Award winner.

The rule denying the vote to Canadians outside the country for more than five years was enacted in 1993 amid debate about the strength of their ties to Canada and how well informed they are about the domestic political situation.

However, it was only in 2007 that Elections Canada began to enforce the rule to “more clearly reflect the intention of Parliament,” said spokesman John Enright.

Until then, the five-year clock would reset for expats who returned even for short visits. Now, they have to “resume residency” before leaving again to regain their right to vote abroad.

Jaimie Duong, 28, of Ithaca, N.Y., said he was “shocked” to learn he couldn’t vote in last year’s federal election.

Like Frank, Duong said he is in the United States because that’s where he found work, and that he remains deeply connected to Canada.

In fact, Duong said, he follows Canadian news more closely than many of the friends he grew up with in Montreal and other parts of the country.

“No matter where I live, I will always see myself as a citizen of Canada,” he said.

According to economist Don DeVoretz, professor emeritus of Simon Fraser University, close to 10 per cent of all Canadians live abroad — a larger population than all but four of the provinces. About one-third of them live in the United States.

While some long-term expats, such as members of the Armed Forces and diplomats, are exempt from the five-year rule and can vote by way of a special ballot, DeVoretz estimates more than one million others — most of whom are Canadian born — run afoul of the law.

The charter challenge has the backing of former chief electoral officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley, who urged in 2005 the rule be scrapped — a view adopted unanimously by a parliamentary standing committee.

In an affidavit, Kingsley notes Canadian expats pay around $6 billion in income taxes to the Canadian treasury, but use significantly fewer resources than their in-country counterparts.

Toronto lawyer Shaun O’Brien — with the law firm Cavalluzzo, Hayes, Shilton, McIntyre and Cornish, which is taking the case at no charge — said expat Canadians should not have to justify why they should be able to vote.

“The government needs to justify why you shouldn’t be able to,” O’Brien said, “Having a general notion that they may not be quite as interested or quite as connected isn’t enough.”

Minister of State for Democratic Reform, Tim Uppal, called voter participation a “cornerstone” of Canadian democracy but said Tuesday it was inappropriate to comment on the case.

Law stripping voting rights from Canadian ex-pats unconstitutional, legal challenge argues | News | National Post

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Interesting! My son had pondered the possibility of a challenge but simply does not have the time. He has been out of the country for eleven years, returning for annual visits.

He also would like to return and his American wife with him if a suitable position opened.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Law stripping voting rights from Canadian ex-pats unconstitutional, legal challenge argues

TORONTO — A law stripping voting rights from more than a million expatriate Canadians who have lived abroad for more than five years should be struck down as unconstitutional, according to a legal challenge served on the federal government Tuesday.

The new application, filed in Ontario Superior Court on behalf of two Canadians living in the United States, argues the five-year rule in the Canada Elections Act is arbitrary and unreasonable.

“I was very surprised to learn that I have no voting rights, that I have no capacity to interact with my government formally, that there’s no one representing me,” said Gillian Frank, 33, who works in Brooklyn, N.Y.

“My sense of being disenfranchised and the fundamental unfairness of it all motivated me (to file the suit).”

The Toronto-born Frank, who is completing post-doctoral studies in history, said he would gladly return to Canada with his Canadian wife and baby if he could find a suitable academic position.

Frank said he retains strong ties to Canada — a country that “emphasizes social justice” — and his decade-long absence has not displaced his attachment.

“I have a stake in the kind of country I want Canada to be,” said Frank, who served in the Canadian military and was a Governor-General’s Award winner.

The rule denying the vote to Canadians outside the country for more than five years was enacted in 1993 amid debate about the strength of their ties to Canada and how well informed they are about the domestic political situation.

However, it was only in 2007 that Elections Canada began to enforce the rule to “more clearly reflect the intention of Parliament,” said spokesman John Enright.

Until then, the five-year clock would reset for expats who returned even for short visits. Now, they have to “resume residency” before leaving again to regain their right to vote abroad.

Jaimie Duong, 28, of Ithaca, N.Y., said he was “shocked” to learn he couldn’t vote in last year’s federal election.

Like Frank, Duong said he is in the United States because that’s where he found work, and that he remains deeply connected to Canada.

In fact, Duong said, he follows Canadian news more closely than many of the friends he grew up with in Montreal and other parts of the country.

“No matter where I live, I will always see myself as a citizen of Canada,” he said.

According to economist Don DeVoretz, professor emeritus of Simon Fraser University, close to 10 per cent of all Canadians live abroad — a larger population than all but four of the provinces. About one-third of them live in the United States.

While some long-term expats, such as members of the Armed Forces and diplomats, are exempt from the five-year rule and can vote by way of a special ballot, DeVoretz estimates more than one million others — most of whom are Canadian born — run afoul of the law.

The charter challenge has the backing of former chief electoral officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley, who urged in 2005 the rule be scrapped — a view adopted unanimously by a parliamentary standing committee.

In an affidavit, Kingsley notes Canadian expats pay around $6 billion in income taxes to the Canadian treasury, but use significantly fewer resources than their in-country counterparts.

Toronto lawyer Shaun O’Brien — with the law firm Cavalluzzo, Hayes, Shilton, McIntyre and Cornish, which is taking the case at no charge — said expat Canadians should not have to justify why they should be able to vote.

“The government needs to justify why you shouldn’t be able to,” O’Brien said, “Having a general notion that they may not be quite as interested or quite as connected isn’t enough.”

Minister of State for Democratic Reform, Tim Uppal, called voter participation a “cornerstone” of Canadian democracy but said Tuesday it was inappropriate to comment on the case.

Law stripping voting rights from Canadian ex-pats unconstitutional, legal challenge argues | News | National Post

Hard to say. I would argue the basic principle that Canadian law does not extend beyond its borders so if a Canadian is abroad, there is no requirement for the government to give him the right to vote until he returns.

On the other hand, if we look at it that way, seeing that the Canadian law should theoretically apply to all within our borders, then it would be natural that all Canadian residents, regardless of nationality, should also be allowed to vote in Canadian elections in Canada.

So it is a double-edged sword.

My personal preference would be for voting rights to be based on residency rather than citizenship which to me seems more logical, but either way we should be consistent. If it's based on citizenship, then all Canadian citizens can vote. If it's based on residency then all canadian residents can vote. Whichever one we base it on, it ought to be consistent.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If the government does not effect you, then I do not see why you should get a say in its election. If you are not paying taxes, are not bound by Canadian law, then why should you be given a vote?

But, at the same time.... I doubt that there is such a large flood of votes coming in from what the gov claims are 'uninformed' expat voters, as to be any real kind of issue.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If the government does not effect you, then I do not see why you should get a say in its election.

This guy might be claim he was affected and then decided to move.

If you are not paying taxes, are not bound by Canadian law, then why should you be given a vote?

Not sure if those should be necessary requirements in order to vote.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
This guy might be claim he was affected and then decided to move.

They still left the jurisdiction for extended periods of time. They can't collect welfare or EI for that reason, why allow the vote to be an exception?

Not sure if those should be necessary requirements in order to vote.

How about paying taxes or contributing to their local community and teh society at large?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They still left the jurisdiction for extended periods of time. They can't collect welfare or EI for that reason, why allow the vote to be an exception?

I dunno. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

They say that a 5 year limit is arbitrary and unreasonable.

How about paying taxes or contributing to their local community and teh society at large?

Maybe they just care enough to vote for the government they think is best?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the government does not effect you, then I do not see why you should get a say in its election. If you are not paying taxes, are not bound by Canadian law, then why should you be given a vote?

Non-citizens pay taxes too. How about that?

But, at the same time.... I doubt that there is such a large flood of votes coming in from what the gov claims are 'uninformed' expat voters, as to be any real kind of issue.

Expats can be better informed of what's going on abroad, useful for international relations.

But again, there ought to be some consistency. Do voting rights apply to citizenship or residency?

I think residency is more logical, however if we insist it's based on citizenship, then let's be consistent either way.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think all citizens should have the same rights in relation to the government regardless of where they may live. I had a conversation with one of my uncles about this last year. He also was not allowed to vote as he has spent over a decade living in other countries. He does come to Canada regularly as most of his family is here. I would say that if you are a Canadian citizen the Canadian government does have an effect on you regardless of where you may live. I also view voting not so much a right but a civic duty. If there are citizens out there who want to vote they should be able to. With voter turnout the way it is now we shouldnt be turning away those who want to take part.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I "live abroad", in the USA, and can not vote in any Canadian election. I have, and use, a Canadian Passport; I carry a Canadian Citizenship Card in my wallet at all times, and I have family ties to Canada that go back to 1765 on the European side, and till pre-history on the Native side (I am Métis). I visit family members in Canada on a regular basis, yet I am ineligible for any benefits under Canadian law.

That is the consequence of my CHOICE to live elsewhere. I do not believe that I am being deprived of anything, I personally made the choice to live where I do, knowing full well that I would not, and could not, get any Canadian benefits.

You see, I made the horrible mistake of falling in love with, and marrying,an American women who is severely physically disabled. She must utilize a motorized wheelchair for mobility and Canada will not admit her as a resident, under any circumstances.

I have tried, 5 times now, and they will NOT admit her. She is not even allowed to be in the vehicle with me, when I come to Canada, for fear she might get there, and file a legal case against the Crown.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The vote is part and parcel of citizenship. Without citizen votes there is not democracy. That is a principle long established and. many say, the vote is the essence of democracy.

should a Canadian Ambassador to a foreign country or the High Commissioner in. say, San Francisco, be deprived of the vote because they live and work overseas? Should servicemenr in WWII have been deprived of the vote because they were fighting overseas for more than five years.

It really is a no-brainer. A citizen is entitled to vote no matter how long s/he has been out of the country working. This enforcement now is part of the Jingoistic nationalism that is the new Canada under Harper.

Further, since most expats are in professional or ranking civil positions as well as in government service, they usually know far more about Canadian political conditions than the average "homer." Just keeping in touch with their homeland makes them so.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I "live abroad", in the USA, and can not vote in any Canadian election. I have, and use, a Canadian Passport; I carry a Canadian Citizenship Card in my wallet at all times, and I have family ties to Canada that go back to 1765 on the European side, and till pre-history on the Native side (I am Métis). I visit family members in Canada on a regular basis, yet I am ineligible for any benefits under Canadian law.

That is the consequence of my CHOICE to live elsewhere. I do not believe that I am being deprived of anything, I personally made the choice to live where I do, knowing full well that I would not, and could not, get any Canadian benefits.

You see, I made the horrible mistake of falling in love with, and marrying,an American women who is severely physically disabled. She must utilize a motorized wheelchair for mobility and Canada will not admit her as a resident, under any circumstances.

I have tried, 5 times now, and they will NOT admit her. She is not even allowed to be in the vehicle with me, when I come to Canada, for fear she might get there, and file a legal case against the Crown.

Loving a person is not a mistake, something lawmakers don't seem to understand. And yes, unfortunately, our immigration laws do judge the value of a human being based on $$$$, and not on the content of their character. That does need to change.

The vote is part and parcel of citizenship. Without citizen votes there is not democracy. That is a principle long established and. many say, the vote is the essence of democracy.

should a Canadian Ambassador to a foreign country or the High Commissioner in. say, San Francisco, be deprived of the vote because they live and work overseas? Should servicemenr in WWII have been deprived of the vote because they were fighting overseas for more than five years.

It really is a no-brainer. A citizen is entitled to vote no matter how long s/he has been out of the country working. This enforcement now is part of the Jingoistic nationalism that is the new Canada under Harper.

Further, since most expats are in professional or ranking civil positions as well as in government service, they usually know far more about Canadian political conditions than the average "homer." Just keeping in touch with their homeland makes them so.

I do agree that The Leader's jingoistic attitude and his complete confusion between nationalism and patriotism is worrisome. It's reached the point where when you say you're a patriot you almost feel like you need to clarify the distinction between that and nationalism.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Since the Canadian Government has ruled that the right to love and marry is part of our Chartered rights, one would think you would have as much legal standing to have your wife enter the country with you, as these people have to demand a vote. If you were so inclined that is.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
They refuse to admit her as a resident, because of her medical condition. They say it would cause an extraordinary expense on the Medicare system.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They refuse to admit her as a resident, because of her medical condition. They say it would cause an extraordinary expense on the Medicare system.

Oh I'm sure that's what they say. Like I said... I bet you'd have grounds to challenge their decision.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you don't live here, work here (Or for here), pay taxes here, for more than 5 years, you aren't a citizen.

should a Canadian Ambassador to a foreign country or the High Commissioner in. say, San Francisco, be deprived of the vote because they live and work overseas?
Of course not, he still works for Canada.

Should servicemenr in WWII have been deprived of the vote because they were fighting overseas for more than five years.
No, they were in service of the country.

It really is a no-brainer.
And yet you still managed to come up with the most idiotic examples.

A citizen is entitled to vote no matter how long s/he has been out of the country working. This enforcement now is part of the Jingoistic nationalism that is the new Canada under Harper.
Oh oh, someones hate on for Harper is showing...:roll:

Further, since most expats are in professional or ranking civil positions as well as in government service, they usually know far more about Canadian political conditions than the average "homer."
You have some stats to back that claim up?

Just keeping in touch with their homeland makes them so.
Excellent example of conjecture.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I am surprised, Bear. I did not know that you had powers far beyond those of Harper. I was not aware that you jad. all by yourself, amended the Citizenship Act to take citizenship away from a group of ex(sic) Canadians who have been out of the country for five years or more. That, according to the figures, could reach hundreds of thousands of now people.

Many, btw, are in the service of Canadian companies, NGOs, and a multitude of other useful possibilities.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am surprised, Bear.
No doubt, but you aren't very bright. That's just an observation.

I did not know that you had powers far beyond those of Harper.
I don't, but that just goes to show my observation to be correct.

I was not aware that you jad. all by yourself, amended the Citizenship Act to take citizenship away from a group of ex(sic) Canadians who have been out of the country for five years or more.
I'm going to guess at what the mangled English at the beginning of that sentence was supposed to be. Although it was a waste of time, since it was just another silly comment that shows my observation to be spot on.

That, according to the figures, could reach hundreds of thousands of now people.
What figures?

Many, btw, are in the service of Canadian companies, NGOs, and a multitude of other useful possibilities.
Numbers please. You have zero credibility here.