Mayoral rival says Rob Ford needs to spend more time at office

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mayoral rival says Rob Ford needs to spend more time at office

Councillor Shelley Carroll, who is considering her own bid for mayor, says Rob Ford isn’t doing the job and needs to show up more at the office.

Ms. Carroll, a key member of former mayor David Miller’s team and a frequent critic of Mr. Ford, made the charges Tuesday, the same day staff issued a last-minute cancellation of his regular weigh-in on the giant scales outside the mayor’s office – part of his public battle to shed 50 pounds. Staff later said the mayor had off-site meetings he couldn’t reschedule.

Ms. Carroll said aside from his appointments with the scales and the weekly call-in show he hosts with his brother Doug, there is no telling what Mr. Ford does.

“We don't see a lot of the mayor,” Ms. Carroll said. “We see him at the weigh-in and we hear him when he is on the radio on Sunday…He is not here and he is not working with council.”

Her advice to Mr. Ford: “Get out of the radio station, come back to city hall and work with your fellow councillors to decide the future of this city.”

Mr. Ford’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Ms. Carroll’s remarks, but Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday was quick to call her comments nothing more than an attempt to score political points.

“The mayor’s job calls for the mayor to be out and about and in all parts of the city, said Mr. Holyday, the former mayor of Etobicoke.” I think he is certainly [at city hall] when needed. I know it takes a lot of time to be mayor.”

Mr. Ford’s schedule has been a constant point of contention since he took office. While senior elected officials usually make their official itineraries public, Mr. Ford has opted to keep his whereabouts private. When asked about his schedule, staff frequently say he is in meetings, without providing further details. Reporters have resorted to filing freedom of information requests for Mr. Ford’s schedule.

Councillor David Shiner, who sits on the mayor’s executive committee, said Mr. Ford is willing to meet with councillors from all political stripes, noting that he sat down with Janet Davis and Sarah Doucette this spring to discuss the introduction of fees for city playing fields.

"I can’t believe sitting at your desk at city hall is going to make it function better,” he said. “He is in the city doing his work. He is available if councillors want him.”

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong, the chair of the public works and infrastructure committee, said he never has trouble reaching the mayor. He just calls him.

“If I need to speak to him I either call him directly or I talk to the chief of staff,” Mr. Minnan-Wong said.

He added that it's not a surprise Ms. Carroll “doesn’t like the mayor.”

“She's hostile to him in council.”

He wanted to know if the mayor has ever rejected a request from Ms. Carroll for a meeting.

“I do not know of a councillor who has called the mayor and he hasn't made himself available,” he said.

Mayoral rival says Rob Ford needs to spend more time at office - The Globe and Mail

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Seems pretty typical politics from somebody seeking to become mayor -- attack current mayor over something to get ones own name in the news.

Good thing she did. Now I know the name. Last thing we need in the mayor's chair is David Miller Part 2.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Seems pretty typical politics from somebody seeking to become mayor -- attack current mayor over something to get ones own name in the news.

Good thing she did. Now I know the name. Last thing we need in the mayor's chair is David Miller Part 2.

I'll take valid criticism from any party.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010