More details expected on G20-related police charges

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

More details expected on G20-related police charges

Toronto police are expected to release more details on Friday after announcing that as many as 28 officers will face charges in the wake of a scathing report on police action at the G20 summit.

The charges, all issued under the Police Act, are related to alleged misconduct during the June 2010 summit protests including unlawful arrests and the use of unnecessary force when dealing with the public.

At least two of the charges will be laid against senior officers, CTV News has learned.

The charges follow the release of a report by Ontario's police watchdog Gerry McNeilly, head of the Officer of the Independent Police Review Director.

His report found that some police overstepped their authority, unlawfully detained protestors and violated basic civil rights.

The report was also critical of the level of force used by officers as they tried to control crowds.

After the report was released, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said he would hold officers accountable for their actions if they were found guilty of misconduct during upcoming police tribunal hearings.

The tribunals will be open to the public, the first of which will be held on the second floor of Toronto Police Headquarters on Tuesday, June 19 at 9 a.m.

Toronto Coun. Adam Vaughan, who is a past member of the Toronto Police Services Board and whose downtown riding was the site of many of the protests, told CTV News that the charges are not unexpected.

"I think the police chief, the police service board, myself included, all played a role in this," Vaughan said. "I think we need to have public accounting and, where necessary, be brought before courts of justice, or disciplinary action, where we failed to protect the public and the city."

Toronto police released the names and charges of eight officers on Thursday, with more names expected to be released on Friday.

Charged are:

• Const. Vincent Wong, Unlawful arrest of "J.W." (Sunday, June 27, 10 a.m. at Yonge Street and Gerrard Avenue)
  • Const. Blair Begbie, Unlawful arrest of "J.W." (June 27, 10 a.m. at Yonge Street and Gerrard Avenue)
  • Const. Alan Li, Unlawful arrest of "A.S." (June 27, 4 p.m., Bloor Street West and Huron Street)
  • Const. Donald Stratton, Unlawful arrest of "A.S." (June 27, Bloor Street West and Huron Street)
  • Const. Michael Kirpoff, Unnecessary force on prisoner "J.M." (June 27, Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue)
  • Const. Ryan Simpson, Unlawful arrest of cyclist "N.W." (June 27, Bloor Street and Spadina Avenue)
  • Const. Jason Crawford, Unlawful arrest of "N.W." (June 27)
  • Const. Michael Martinez ,Unnecessary force on prisoner "J.R." (Saturday, June 26, Novotel Hotel)

If the officers in question are found guilty, discipline could range from docked hours to dismissal.

More details expected on G20-related police charges | CTV Toronto

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Scape goats. I see no senior officers on that list. Somebody gave the orders to attack peaceful protesters.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Now, he needs to resign. He has lost support of just about everyone.

True. I thought that was funny as well that he accepts responsibility just by making an announcement to the public.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld where anyone can place an order to reserve a rental, but you need to actually hold on to the rental for it to mean anything.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
True. I thought that was funny as well that he accepts responsibility just by making an announcement to the public.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld where anyone can place an order to reserve a rental, but you need to actually hold on to the rental for it to mean anything.

I don't see any other solution to this. Seeing as he's the head of the force, how can he be considered impartial when punishing underlings for their violations when he was the one giving orders?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Have I missed the condemnation of their lack of action on Saturday? I have just read about their overaction on Sunday. I found both mistakes unacceptable but find the latter less so.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Have I missed the condemnation of their lack of action on Saturday? I have just read about their overaction on Sunday. I found both mistakes unacceptable but find the latter less so.

Saturday was a joke, they were more interested in protecting their stupid fence. Apparently the force inaction on Saturday contributed to Blaire going all gestapo with his Sunday orders.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Saturday was to give the sheeple something to be upset about so they could justify kicking innocent ass on Sunday.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Saturday was a joke, they were more interested in protecting their stupid fence. Apparently the force inaction on Saturday contributed to Blaire going all gestapo with his Sunday orders.

We're gonna take the streets back!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hope the miscreants are dealt with severely and restitution (out of their pockets) is made to the innocent victims. The mentality of some of these guys is not unlike the mentality displayed by the perpetrators of the Stanley Cup riot. There are many fine cops who are suffering because of a few buffoons.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I hope the miscreants are dealt with severely and restitution (out of their pockets) is made to the innocent victims. The mentality of some of these guys is not unlike the mentality displayed by the perpetrators of the Stanley Cup riot. There are many fine cops who are suffering because of a few buffoons.

The orders cam from above, that's where the they need to start with their housecleaning. I imagine in the end though, it will mostly be front line cops taking the heat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The orders cam from above, that's where the they need to start with their housecleaning. I imagine in the end though, it will mostly be front line cops taking the heat.

That would be more credible if all the "front line" cops acted that way. But still I don't hold the upper echelons blameless.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

As far as I recall, weren't you one of the guys assuming there could be no wrong coming from the po-pos?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The orders cam from above, that's where the they need to start with their
housecleaning. I imagine in the end though, it will mostly be front line cops
taking the heat.
A cop has every right to refuse orders he feels aren't within the bounds of law. Orders from above is a "cop out".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As far as I recall, weren't you one of the guys assuming there could be no wrong coming from the po-pos?

I've expounded at length on the thuggery in the tasering incident at YVR and of the assault to Buddy Tavares at Kelowna, so I don't see where you came by that assumption.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I've expounded at length on the thuggery in the tasering incident at YVR and of the assault to Buddy Tavares at Kelowna, so I don't see where you came by that assumption.

Hm.. I must be lumping you in with the usual suspects.

Carry on.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
A cop has every right to refuse orders he feels aren't within the bounds of law. Orders from above is a "cop out".

I agree that some of the front line cops deserve equal blame on this. But, the orders to "take back the streets" came from the upper levels of the Toronto Police Force, they need to be held responsible for creating this atmosphere which enabled some of these cops to act the way they did.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hm.. I must be lumping you in with the usual suspects.

Carry on.

I think you know as well as I do that there are "bad apples" in every walk of life. You may also recall that I've opined many times "there is an exception to every rule".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I agree that some of the front line cops deserve equal blame on this. But, the orders to "take back the streets" came from the upper levels of the Toronto Police Force, they need to be held responsible for creating this atmosphere which enabled some of these cops to act the way they did.
Whoever issued the order should be the first to fall.