Surprise! Mayor Rob Ford appears at gay event

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Surprise! Mayor Rob Ford appears at gay event

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford shocked gays, their parents and friends Thursday by appearing at a flag-raising event at city hall.

Ford had sent his regrets to organizers of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia.

It is the first time Ford has appeared at a gay-related event, despite huge pressure after skipping all Pride events last year.

Councillor Gord Perks, who was to speak on behalf of Ford, instead introduced the mayor, who read the proclamation.

“Way to go mayor!” one man yelled before Ford spoke.

Asked how he felt being at the event, Ford said “Great” and stood back with councillors to listen to other speakers.

They included Councillor Janet Davis, who paid tribute to her gay son and said this was her first time at the ceremony as a member of PFLAG, a support group for parents of lesbians and gays.

Toronto News: Surprise! Mayor Rob Ford appears at gay event - thestar.com

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
My God he might have done something right here for a change. I think they
might be the only budding friends he has left. The people who supported
him in the first place have already moved on.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
His personal views aside, Pride brings in a load of cash to the city and as the cities CEO, making a token appearance is kinda expected.
So does prostitution but the only pol who was ever caught was Jack.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
On the flip side, maybe he'll actually do some real mayoral stuff now.

So this whole 'pride' support (or his previous lack of 'support') stuff was never 'real' mayoral stuff. That's what some have been saying all along. As soon as people see through and get beyond that figurehead crap, we'll all be better off and do less whining.

His personal views aside, Pride brings in a load of cash to the city and as the cities CEO, making a token appearance is kinda expected.

It will (fortunately) still do that without a mayor (any mayor) showing his 'support'. Pride has nothing to worry about or lose even when a doofus holds the keys.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So this whole 'pride' support (or his previous lack of 'support') stuff was never 'real' mayoral stuff. That's what some have been saying all along. As soon as people see through and get beyond that figurehead crap, we'll all be better off and do less whining.

It's important, but not as important as some economic decisions.

It's a good gesture and says a lot about the person if they can naturally respect these sorts of endeavors instead of being coerced into attending.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's hypocritical at best. And those that don't like him ain't gonna change their mind because he faked his way through attending a flag raising fer chrissake. :lol:

It's a cheap magic trick.

If you believe that, well...okeedokee. :lol:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Well.. i hope he continues to do something more useful.. than attend the Pride Parade... which is an embarrasment for Toronto.. a grotesque carnival.. and does zilch for the city. But it seems part of the political mind frame feels compelled to make fools of themselves before large crowds.. no matter what kind of debauchery they've assembled for..

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's hypocritical at best. And those that don't like him ain't gonna change their mind because he faked his way through attending a flag raising fer chrissake. :lol:

It's a cheap magic trick.

If you believe that, well...okeedokee. :lol:

Well, I agree that it isn't a top priority for a mayor, but I also think it is important to at least instill some confidence that he's not completely ass backwards.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well.. i hope he continues to do something more useful.. than attend the Pride Parade... which is an embarrasment for Toronto.. a grotesque carnival.. and does zilch for the city. But it seems part of the political mind frame feels compelled to make fools of themselves before large crowds.. no matter what kind of debauchery they've assembled for..

I could totally see you in leather chaps with a gimp ball stuffed in your mouth...

Now, for a token appearance at a 420 get-together....

Hear Hear!

It will (fortunately) still do that without a mayor (any mayor) showing his 'support'. Pride has nothing to worry about or lose even when a doofus holds the keys.

I think with any job, you have to do things you don't like...