Hot, dry summer predicted for most of Canada

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Hot, dry summer predicted for most of Canada

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - If you like it hot, you will certainly like one of the first summer forecasts of the season for Canada; most of the country could see a very hot, very dry summer (Notice we said most of the country).

"It looks like at least two-thirds of Canada will probably be dealing with a very warm-to-hot summer compared to normal," says AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson.

In fact, the US-based forecaster is predicting one of the hottest and driest summers in 20 years for Canada, except in BC and Quebec.

"Looking at southern Alberta, [and] southern Saskatchewan through much of Manitoba, temperatures should be well-above normal throughout the course of the summer and it also looks like a slightly drier summer compared to normal across these areas," predicts Anderson.

"This particular region, though, has been experiencing very warm and dry summers... about 80 per cent of the time over the last dozen or so years, so it's nothing new," he notes.

Accuweather predicts coastal BC temperatures will be near-normal for the summer, with the western edge of the heat stretching only as far as the interior of the province.

"In my opinion, much of BC will have a very pleasant summer, but there is going to be a difference between the coast and... into the mountains," explains Anderson.

"Along the coast, we do expect to see a continuation of below-normal ocean water temperatures through the summer and that should have a slight cooling effect right along the immediate coast, probably leading to a little more fog than usual," he adds.

Environment Canada's preliminary outlook calls for a warmer than normal summer for much of Canada, including the Lower Mainland.

Listen for traffic and weather together every ten minutes on the ones. Follow @News1130Weather for up to the minute information.

Hot, dry summer predicted for most of Canada - News1130

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
It could be hotter tha one might like. The extended La Nina is coming to an end and if the El Nino starts soon this could be one of the worst. It has not arrived yet so we may just have a hot winter instead.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
La Nina is the cause as is Solar Max just like it was 88 years ago when the majority of records were set in Nor Am.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just a yes? Do you know which three overlapping natural earth cycles are causing this that caused the same warming/drought trend in 1934?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Don't know what they mean about BC. Already getting forest fires and have high risk in most areas including the coast. Not even into summer yet and no campfires allowed. :-(

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Actually, I was putting you on there to see the response. The hottest summer in the US, by a tiny margin, was 1936. The hottest year may have been 1934.

But that is totally meaningless in the context of global warming. The hottest years were those I gave. The USA was local.

There are no three overlapping cycles causing global arming. There is one culprit and one only. Carbon emissions.

1934 to 1936 was natural and short lived.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The same patterns in 1934 are causing the same thing today. If you were here last August when I called this years's drought/heatwave based on these natural cycles you would have heard me state that I'm going to lash out against the morons who claim this is a result of "global warming".

Are you ready for your lashing?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
We've had an unusually cool spring in BC. Maybe influenced by the brutally cold winter that Russia, northern China and Europe experienced. I expect we might be in for a decade or more of colder temperatures... which of course has the AGW lobby devising alternative 'reverse' explanations for Global Warming. They've resorted to the explanations that any temperature.. warmer, colder, or in between proves their claims.. just goes to show you that you really can fool SOME of the people ALL of the time. :roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Residents in the southern Prairie provinces -- Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg -- are expected to see the mercury rise the most above normal, he said.
I'm confused. Do we have northern prairie provinces?

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The same patterns in 1934 are causing the same thing today. If you were here last August when I called this years's drought/heatwave based on these natural cycles you would have heard me state that I'm going to lash out against the morons who claim this is a result of "global warming".

Are you ready for your lashing?
Ready! Aye ready!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I find it amazing that any one of you will believe a weather forcast. These are the only people who can get something wrong a good chunk of the time and still be looked on for more predictions. They are usually wrong about tommorow why would we trust them months from now?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You're both morons who think this phenomenon is the result of "global warming"?

No lashing needed if you are self-aware that you're being a moron.