Rob Ford wants to scrap 5-cent plastic bag fee

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mayor Rob Ford says he didn’t campaign for office on a promise to scrap the 5-cent plastic bag fee but he now wants to get rid of it.

Ford said on his Sunday radio talk show that the tax, introduced in June 2009, by then-mayor David Miller, has served its purpose.

“This bag tax has been around too long,” Ford said on his CFRB radio program which included his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, and featured a special Mother’s Day appearance by their mother, Diane.

Monday, Ford will urge members of the executive committee, which he chairs, to scrap the 2009 bylaw, which has helped curb annual plastic bag use in the city from 457 million bags to 215 million as people switched to reusable bags.

Toronto News: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wants to scrap 5-cent plastic bag fee - thestar.com

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O............Well, he's gotta stand for something. His tunnels have pretty much been rejected.

His latest might save the average Citiot about $25.00 / yr., and increase plastic in landfill by 100%..........Way to go, fukknuts.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's been a successful program, so I don't know why he'd want to scrap it. I'm sure we'll save some money, but we shouldn't scrap good programs just to save a buck.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's been a successful program, so I don't know why he'd want to scrap it. I'm sure we'll save some money, but we shouldn't scrap good programs just to save a buck.
Now that more are using reusable bags, do you think they will stop and go back to using the plastic ones?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Reusable bags are the way to go. Now if they would just pass laws forbidding all of these outrageous packagings that my food comes in. Why the hell is my broccoli wrapped in plastic?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I did not like this Miller tax (although not really a tax since the retailer just pockets it).

However, now that its in place, I don't really care. I use the cloth ones and spend my time blocking WalMart checkouts packing things up the way I want them. I suspect the person behind me will be happy to go back to the old way but I am indifferent.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Now that more are using reusable bags, do you think they will stop and go back to using the plastic ones?

People from Ontario won't. But if they did it out west....................oooooooooooowahhhh..............extract the oil........makeadebags.

We have more class:roll:

Wallymart gives out with the free plastic bags................must be nation wide.

Youse DO have Wally out there, eh?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I did not like this Miller tax (although not really a tax since the retailer just pockets it).

However, now that its in place, I don't really care. I use the cloth ones and spend my time blocking WalMart checkouts packing things up the way I want them. I suspect the person behind me will be happy to go back to the old way but I am indifferent.

In Europe, they have two conveyor belts that your groceries go onto after the cashier checks them out. If you do not pack up in time, they start shuffling the third person's groceries onto that belt and everyone gives you the evil eye while that third person starts elbowing you.

You learn to pack quickly and effectively, or to care very little about the rest of humanity.

Reusible bags are not healthy
Report: 2010 Oregon norovirus outbreak tied to reusable grocery bag - HealthPop - CBS News

Desposible plastic grocery bags that breaks down in landfills is a better choice.

Women like reusable bags just because of the fashion statement

In order to contract a noro-virus, you need to consume fecal matter or vomitus. Who is vomiting on or near your bags? The story points out that the vector was actually some cookies in the bags, so your plastic bags wouldn't have saved you. Why someone put a bag of cookies on the bathroom floor is beyond me.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
In Europe, they have two conveyor belts that your groceries go onto after the cashier checks them out. If you do not pack up in time, they start shuffling the third person's groceries onto that belt and everyone gives you the evil eye while that third person starts elbowing you.

You learn to pack quickly and effectively, or to care very little about the rest of humanity.

In order to contract a noro-virus, you need to consume fecal matter or vomitus. Who is vomiting on or near your bags? The story points out that the vector was actually some cookies in the bags, so your plastic bags wouldn't have saved you. Why someone put a bag of cookies on the bathroom floor is beyond me.

The plastic bags would save me because it has never been used it's new

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Reusable bags are easy to wash, I wonder what you do with your underwear.

Second, biodegradeable bags still blow around in the wind, and end up in the ocean, where they don't degrade very quickly, and studies have shown a fairly significant amount of plastic is ending up in fish flesh. I guess that's poetic justice, people will wind up eating the plastic.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I have learned to go with option B. I can give back an equally evil eye -- usually with a bit of a twitch -- which works quite well.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Did you read your own story? The hypothetical plastic bag is full of cookies and on the bathroom floor of a hotel. A girl comes in and vomits, spraying the bags with vomitus. I wouldn't call those new.

Here is another story
Reusable grocery bags can spread norovirus - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe

The point of the story is that reusable bags have to be cleaned on a regular bases like the example in the new story if some raw meat juices drip out of the bag it can cause a major bacterial crises if the bag is not cleaned but with the plastic green throw away bag one would never get that because it’s new.

Reusable bags are easy to wash, I wonder what you do with your underwear.

Second, biodegradeable bags still blow around in the wind, and end up in the ocean, where they don't degrade very quickly, and studies have shown a fairly significant amount of plastic is ending up in fish flesh. I guess that's poetic justice, people will wind up eating the plastic.

The biodegradeable bags are not oil based

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am amazed at how much discussion and debate can be created talking about
grocery bags. I have a lot of them in the backseat of the truck. Problem is I
forget to take them into the store. Besides I don't care one way or another.
As for Rob Ford I wish the grocer would give him plastic reusable bags, one wrapped
firmly over his head and around his neck.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I am amazed at how much discussion and debate can be created talking about
grocery bags. I have a lot of them in the backseat of the truck. Problem is I
forget to take them into the store. Besides I don't care one way or another.
As for Rob Ford I wish the grocer would give him plastic reusable bags, one wrapped
firmly over his head and around his neck.

I doubt that the grocer will go back to giving away free plastic bag the charge is here to stay.

No Frills charged 5 cents per bag years before Miller

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
His tunnels have pretty much been rejected.
By Council, not his constituents. Fords constituents actually want it.

It's been a successful program, so I don't know why he'd want to scrap it.
For the retailers...

The $5.4 million generated by the five-cent fee remains in the hands of retailers, not the city.
Toronto's five-cent bag tax up for committee debate | CTV Toronto

Ya, great program...

I'm sure we'll save some money, but we shouldn't scrap good programs just to save a buck.
Why not? That's a healthy part of the reason you dismiss Fords transit plan. Funny how your fiscal senses ebb and flow with who's programs are in question, lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Reusible bags are not healthy
Report: 2010 Oregon norovirus outbreak tied to reusable grocery bag - HealthPop - CBS News

Desposible plastic grocery bags that breaks down in landfills is a better choice.

Reusable bags aren't inherently unhealthy. A fomite is a fomite. The headline is inaccurate; if you read the actual research article, the researchers use the and operator to link the bag and food to the outbreak, not just the reusable bag. Those kids could have just as easilly been infected if the bag were made of plastic. The transmission wasn't something special about reusable bags. Aerosols from the vomit landed on the bag and food inside the bag which the others handled and ate.

It should be good sense that any surface that touches food should be clean. It's unfortunate that many people don't realize that about these bags. Though in this case, it wouldn't have mattered what type of bag they used.