Liberal leadership race could have “six or seven” candidates by summer

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA—At least a half dozen Liberal leadership candidates could be gearing up their campaigns as soon as this summer.

Liberal party president Mike Crawley says he knows of about “six or seven” people who are thinking of entering the contest, which he expects to heat up by July.

“I’ve heard from a number of prospective candidates and I’ve met with a number of prospective candidates,” Crawley told reporters Tuesday at a briefing about the leadership race.

Liberals will be choosing a leader sometime between March and June next year, under a new, opened-up contest that allows non-members of the party to cast a vote.

there's more, if you can stand the thrill up your leg

Canada News: Liberal leadership race could have

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That would be approx 20 % of sitting MP's. Could be a split vote. Though you can vote during the leadership as long as you do not belong to another political party but sign a pledge that you believe in Liberal Values.

Me I am in - Went out and bought a large quantity of plain brown paper bags. Get them now as the price will jump.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There may be someone who doesnt have a seat who will run as well. Who knows.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I planned on running, for purely megalomaniacal reasons. But they just wouldn't hear of my Bear Necessities platform.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
There may be someone who doesnt have a seat who will run as well. Who knows.

Just think about Krusty Clark, the BC Premiere. She didn't have a seat when the party elected her leader, which was actually the Premiere at the time. Think about it, an non-elected Premiere!! How was that for a slice of Canadian democracy. She did of course get handed a peach riding to run in a by-election a few months later but that seemed rather tainted by the lack of time between the announcement of the election and voting day along with a few allegations of some election fraud at the ballot count.

A non-elected premiere....what a farce!!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just think about Krusty Clark, the BC Premiere. She didn't have a seat when the party elected her leader, which was actually the Premiere at the time. Think about it, an non-elected Premiere!!

That did bother me as well. It makes no sense. If you're going to be Premier or PM you should have a seat in the legislature. Unfortunately there is a precedent federally. Mackenzie King lost his seat in an election but was allowed to remain PM. Turner was also allowed to hold the office even though he didnt yet have a seat.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As far as I know there is nothing that says a premier or PM has to have a seat in the leg. Regardless of what the Non Democratic Parasites claim Christie was elected both Leader , Premier and MLA.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
As far as I know there is nothing that says a premier or PM has to have a seat in the leg. Regardless of what the Non Democratic Parasites claim Christie was elected both Leader , Premier and MLA.

I am all for democracy in it's truest form. Meaning that you should have 50%+1 votes to be elected but that is another thread topic.

I don't have a problem with Krusty being elected leader of the party without having a seat but I do believe that for anyone to be Premiere or PM they should first be elected to a seat. There should have been someone in an interim Premiere position until she won her by-election. There may not be a specific rule that prevents a non-elected person from being PM or Premiere but there are rules that prevent them from actually participating in debate or voting on legislation so this needs to be addressed and my opinion is that if you haven't been voted into office you shouldn't be able to hold the title.