GDP goes down in February

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canadian economy shrinks slightly in February

Canada's gross domestic product declined by 0.2 per cent in February, which means the country's overall economy contracted.

Temporary closures in mining and other industries contributed to the decline, Statistics Canada said Monday.

Decreases in mining and oil and gas extraction, manufacturing, utilities, as well as forestry and logging outpaced advances in construction, the agency said.

In the services sector, gains in finance and insurance outweighed declines in retail trade, transportation and warehousing.

Canadian economy shrinks slightly in February - Business - CBC News

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With the overall debt Canadians currenty carry, it's inevitable, so I won't blame any government for this. If the goal is sustainability, the market will bear ony so much growth, and sometimes contraction which could be a good thing as the economy stabilizes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canadian economy shrinks slightly in February

Canada's gross domestic product declined by 0.2 per cent in February, which means the country's overall economy contracted.

0.2%????????? I question if it can really be measured that accurately. How many samples is this figure extrapolated from? :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
January and Feb are the first months right after high-spending times during X-mas and holidays. Factor in the inevitable tax bills that come due in April and those numbers aren't bound to increase until early summer.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The story has been updated with an objective explanation..

Mining, manufacturing decreases outpace construction advances

Temporary closures in mining and other industries contributed to the decline, Statistics Canada said Monday.

Economists had been expecting a slight 0.2 per cent rise in GDP, so the decline was a surprise.

The Canadian dollar fell more than half a cent to 101.4 cents US following the news.

Decreases in mining and oil and gas extraction, manufacturing, utilities, as well as forestry and logging outpaced advances in construction, the agency said.

Output in the oil and gas sector shrank by 0.9 per cent due to "unplanned maintenance activities in Alberta," Statistics Canada noted.

Natural gas production also declined.

Canadian economy shrinks slightly in February - Business - CBC News

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Decline in the resource sector can be a good thing for the long term since we'd rather value-added jobs anyway since resources are finite after all.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Decline in the resource sector can be a good thing for the long term since we'd rather value-added jobs anyway since resources are finite after all.

Value-added jobs like manufacturing? ;-)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It is unfortunate that there was a decline in manufacturing, but at the same time, we can't artificially grow the economy unsustainably either. I'll criticize Harper for many things, but not overall economic growth, since no government can control that entirely.

And Petros, I do agree that there are still plenty of jobs; we should just train the unemployed for those jobs.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is unfortunate that there was a decline in manufacturing, but at the same time, we can't artificially grow the economy unsustainably either. I'll criticize Harper for many things, but not overall economic growth, since no government can control that entirely.

I'll criticize any government that promises economic growth knowing that they cannot have any significant control over it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Machjo. You could have 100 unemployed and 100 jobs open but only 10% of the 100 will find work. You can retrain tiil the cows come home but if someone isn't suitable for the job they just aren't suitable.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'll criticize any government that promises economic growth knowing that they cannot have any significant control over it.

Did Harper promise economic growth? I cannot remember that. To the best of my knowledge he promissed to create more opportunity for growth, which is not the same thing. But I stand to be corrected. Any links?

Machjo. You could have 100 unemployed and 100 jobs open but only 10% of the 100 will find work. You can retrain tiil the cows come home but if someone isn't suitable for the job they just aren't suitable.

Then we need to match them to the jobs. Even in a wheelchair, or if deaf, there are jobs that can be suitable under the circumstances.