What Mistakes did Wildrose Make That Proved The Pollsters Wrong.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

PC 61

Wildrose 17

According to all the polls Wildrose was to runaway with Alberta elections and the 41 year PC reign was supposed to end.

At the end of the day

Where do you think the Wildrose party made their mistakes?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's the pollsters that likely make the mistakes. Poll scmoll.

Harpo wasn't supposed to get a majority was he? The NDP surge wasn't noticed.

I think we give way too much credit to these ubiquitous p(tr)olling companies and their retarded cousins, the tv ratings people. If 'they say it be so', it must be so. One takes power in delivering ad revenue while the other, well, I don't know what pollsters get other than bragging rights against their competitors.

That's my opinion 19 times out of 20.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

PC 61

Wildrose 17

According to all the polls Wildrose was to runaway with Alberta elections and the 41 year PC reign was supposed to end.

At the end of the day

Where do you think the Wildrose party made their mistakes?

Not being realistic and not counting on common sense of the electorate. Radicals in democracies don't win elections. :smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yep, wish the pollsters would shove it, but then, they wouldn't get paid. We have enough people on the dole now, adding to the deficit.

The pollsters tell us this ain't good.

Wildrose had it in the bag according to all the righty newspapers. Ezra Levant was just about ejaculating on air. Oh it was gonna be a
new day coming................pun intended.

Alas, all for nought. Except, now they will form the official opposition, and will have 4? years to show the people what a bunch of wingnuts they are. Hopefully people pay attention. Canadian Provincial governments a la Limbaugh et all we do not need.

The next four will also test the mettle of Ms. Redford, as she swims upstream against the screaming dunderheads.

Forgot the OP. mistakes they made:
,,,religious fervour.................should have left it at home.
,,,anti gay.............surprised this did not fly in Alta. but it didn't .
,,,attack dog mode at all times. People can see Baird in Ottawa and probably don't need it at a provincial
level
,,,questioning climate change and evolution..........surprised this didn't fly also.
,,,actually allowing Smith to speak.............OMG...........give her the script for christs sake.
She comes across as a stupid person, with a large streak of mean. Little intelligence in her eyes. Glancing up and down at the cameras as if looking for approval. She would do well as a Harpoite MP

etc
etc

Addendum: A couple of my uncles went West as pipefitters/steamfitters way back when. Took along their wives and kids and made a great life for themselves in the Calgary area.

They were hard working, not dogmatically religious,. but above all: they were fair minded, honest, people, as were their kids and grandkids..

They might support the old time Progressive Conservatives, but never the ultra right tea party idiots we see running around in the US, and more and more in Canada. From the results of the latest Alta. election, there's a lot like me old family living out there. Good thing.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Not being realistic and not counting on common sense of the electorate. Radicals in democracies don't win elections. :smile:

These 'radicals' managed to garner more seats in this election than the NDP and Libs in the last 2 elections combined. Don't forget that there are a new party, I expect that they will only strengthen their support as time moves forward.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
People got the jitters and decided to change their minds at the polls.

It happens quite frequently actually.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Radicals in democracies don't win elections. :smile:
What? Ever hear of the Bamster, Hitler, Rene Levesque, Bob Rae, Bill Van Der Zalm, Jesse Ventura, Hugo Chavez, George Washington? All were elected in a democracy. All are or were radicals.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What? Ever hear of the Bamster, Hitler, Rene Levesque, Bob Rae, Bill Van Der Zalm, Jesse Ventura, Hugo Chavez, George Washington? All were elected in a democracy. All are or were radicals.

Arnold Schwarzenneger was a complete moderate though.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
People got the jitters and decided to change their minds at the polls.

It happens quite frequently actually.

People are very fickle, especially when it comes to politics.

Although that the media (and Smith from the Wildrose) see the results as disappointing (or plain ole wrong from the medias standpoint), Smith's party did succeed in carving off a noticeable chunk of the PC vote.

They're still a new party and provided that they actually do something right, I expect that the next vote will be even closer.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Wait for it....! "Pur Lain" Albertan's will, of course, blame it all on the 'immigrant' vote from all those invaders from other provinces who went there seeking work in their oil patch. De-ja-vu anyone?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wildrose assumed that they were fighting with the PC for the right wing voters. They assumed the moderate left and the centrist votes were set in stone, allocated to the libs. So they didn't stress themselves about how their politicians' views effected that voter base.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
IMO, the mistake they made is that they couldn't absolve the fear of an ideology clash between their social libertarians and conservatives. PCs really hammered this in the last few days before the election to take voters' minds off the budget.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
These 'radicals' managed to garner more seats in this election than the NDP and Libs in the last 2 elections combined. Don't forget that there are a new party, I expect that they will only strengthen their support as time moves forward.

From what I know about Albertans, they are serious workers and don't like Dippers or supporting factions that ride on the backs of productive people. Alberta has done well for close to 65 years, so why would they want to change a philosophy that has worked well for them? Does anyone REALLY think that if the Dippers got in they would remain sales tax free? :lol: They sure don't want cases of "Dropsy and Heart Fever" becoming epidemic!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
From what I know about Albertans, they are serious workers and don't like Dippers or supporting factions that ride on the backs of productive people.

Then why do they give corporations a pass?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Everyone in a business is productive?

I'm just saying - if productivity is your concern here.

Probably in a competitive business. I don't really have a concern, not living in Alberta, just laying out the ground work as to why Dippers can't expect to thrive there.