Liberals shouldn't balk at merger talk

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The party is in shambles and despite 'bold new' plans for rebuilding, genuine action seems in short supply

As Jean Chretien revisits a merger on Canada's centre-left, some Liberals are growing antsy over their party's paralysis since its 2011 electoral drubbing.

"Our ratings are sliding while we are patting ourselves on the back, congratulating each other on the great achievements of rebuilding," Toronto Grit Walter Jarek writes on Liberal. ca.

An April 7 Leger Marketing poll showed Liberals down to roughly the same 19 per cent support they received in last May's election, even as the NDP scored 33 per cent.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As soon as the federal Liberals get a permanent leader for their party that's when the Liberals will start to rise in the polls and the formal Liberal supporters will start coming back from the NDP because Mulcair is looking like a leader that can't make up his mind.

The NDP MP that went independant a couple of days ago proves it

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'd actually prefer the Liberals and dippers eat one another.

It would strengthen all us Don Cherry-loving, god-fearing, queer-hating, kitten-eating, F35 hard-on, meat-eating troglodytes.

What? :lol:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Merger?

Exactly why would the NDP even bother with a merger now? All that would do is hurt them more than it would help them.

If I was in the NDP, I'd let the Liberals fall flat on their ass as they're voted out the door.

Let some other party take their place instead.

Many parties come and go over the years.... It's just the Liberals time now.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Merger?

Exactly why would the NDP even bother with a merger now? All that would do is hurt them more than it would help them.

If I was in the NDP, I'd let the Liberals fall flat on their ass as they're voted out the door.

Let some other party take their place instead.

Many parties come and go over the years.... It's just the Liberals time now.

It's nice to have options as well.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
As soon as the federal Liberals get a permanent leader for their party that's when the Liberals will start to rise in the polls and the formal Liberal supporters will start coming back from the NDP because Mulcair is looking like a leader that can't make up his mind.

The NDP MP that went independant a couple of days ago proves it

I'd rather a leader who takes his time to make up his mind than the typical "Act First... Flip Flop Later" leaders we're all used to.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
When the reform party and the conservative party decided to merge, that's when I knew our electoral system was nonsense.

Its a system that punishes actually having a candidate that represents you properly and rewards black and white thinking.