Mandatory Minimums - Off we go to the SCOC

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mandatory Minimums - Off we go to the SCOC

Ontario court rules mandatory minimum sentence unconstitutional in gun case - The Globe and Mail

An Ontario Superior Court judge has struck down a mandatory sentence of three years for a firearm offence, saying the sentence would have had grave consequences for a defendant who intended no harm.

Madam Justice Anne Molloy said it would amount to cruel and unusual punishment to impose a three-year sentence on the accused, Leroy Smickle, who was arrested while posing with a loaded gun and striking a “cool” pose.

Instead, Judge Malloy gave Mr. Smickle a one-year conditional sentence to be served under house arrest.

The decision is almost certain to be appealed, putting the courts on a collision course with the Harper government, which has made mandatory minimum sentences a cornerstone of its tough-on-crime justice platform.

Judge Malloy said that the presence of handguns in the community is a grave concern, but that Mr. Smickle’s bad judgment fell well short of dangerous criminal intent.

“To impose such an onerous punishment would, in my view, be grossly disproportionate to what Mr. Smickle deserves for a single act of bad judgment and foolishness,” she said.

Judge Malloy found there was evidence that Mr. Smickle, 30, was holding a loaded firearm when police suddenly smashed down the door of a relative’s apartment where he was staying. Police were executing a search warrant on the owner of the apartment, Mr. Stickle’s cousin, who was believed to be in possession of illegal weapons. Judge Malloy said that Mr. Stickle did not intend to threaten the police, but was merely engaged in the “very foolish act” of posing with the gun while holding his laptop computer in his other hand.

The judge cited the fact that Mr. Stickle, who is right-handed, was holding the gun in his left hand when police burst in. She also said that Mr. Stickle was so startled by the intrusion that he dropped both the gun and his laptop.

Judge Malloy said the mandatory sentence of three years was out of line with Mr. Smickle’s offence, and that elements of the law containing the sentence are “irrational and arbitrary.”

She added that a three-year prison sentence would have a harsh effect on his fiancée and a young child he has from a previous relationship. He would also face great difficulty finding a job after surviving the rigours of three years in prison, she said.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
With whom will we fill Canada's gulag, if we act through compassion?

Add common sense and we are then on the money. The new laws are a road to problems that society will deal with for decades.

The US went down the same road, harsher sentences then we have and they are now changing gears as Man Mins do not really work.
4 pot plants - a fine - 5 pot plants 6 months min sentence. Anything from 5 to 200 plants min sentence.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Goober,
2008 data
Incarceration rates:
China 111 in prison for every 100 000 population
USA 737 in prison for every 100 000 population.

Explain the reasons to me, Goober.

Cousin Spade

PS
That`s 1% of the adult population in the USA. Do we want that...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Goober,
2008 data
Incarceration rates:

Cousin Spade

PS

To be fair though, China tends to execute folks for embezzlement. Just saying. :)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goober,
2008 data.
Incarceration rates:

Cousin Spade

Well a few things come to mind
US is more violent

China is well controlled by the massive state police and informers an.

Now in China many who have influence do not go to jail. While those with legitimate grievances do. Chinese people know what the repercussions can be. Demonstrations are a normal state of affairs in China today and they are put down quite brutally.

In the US they throw so many charges at a person that many make plea deals and take the lesser sentence

US stats would be accurate.

Who compiles the Chinese stats????

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Canada, 2009
117 per 100 000 population.

Statistics Canada

I believe in some cases man mins are the only way to handle repeated violent crimes.
Pedos should be on that list.
Multiple murders should receive consecutive sentences.

Members of gangs should receive an additional sentence in addition to their original sentence - Organized criminals same thing - Little hope they will change.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am thrilled that the judge struck down this foolishness of mandatory minimum sentences. May all appeals be denied, straight to the SCOC,

Mandatory minimums are a travesty of justice.

Kill them, and you remove one of the few reasons I would consider moving awat from the Conservative Party.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In this case good for the judge. Why do we have judges? They are to listen come to a conclusion
and impose a sentence that is applicable to the case at hand. Mr. Harper who is more like Snidely
Whiplash as a friend of mine call him, has decided that in addition to being Canada's new king he
is also able to impose a minimum sentence on anyone doing anything for any reason and I hope to
hell the courts step in here.
By the time we get this sinister little man out of office we are going to have more problems in the
justice system and more debt than any other government in Canadian history. It could turn out that
the only thing that stands between Harper and Democracy in Canada is the Justice's on the bench.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Goober,
2008 data
Incarceration rates:

Cousin Spade

PS
China just makes them work in their coal mines. Voluntarily of course.

Wikinews has related news: Chinese mine blast kills over 200
Wikinews has related news: Explosion kills 42 miners in northern China; 27 missing
  • On March 19, 2005 an explosion at the Xishui Colliery and neighboring Kangjiayao coal mines killed 72.[37]
  • On July 11, 2005 an explosion at the Shenlong mine killed 83.[37]
  • On November 27, 2005 171 miners were killed by a blast in the Dongfeng Coal mine in Qitaihe city, Heilongjiang province. The mine owner (plus 5 others) was later tried in court for negligence and sentenced to 6 years in prison.[38]
Wikinews has related news: Coal mine floods in northern China: 12,000 mines ordered to close
  • On December 8, 2005, a gas explosion kills 54 miners and traps 22 in the Liuguantun Mine, Tangshan Kaiping district.[39]

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Judge rejects ‘outrageous,’ unconstitutional mandatory gun sentence

Judge rejects ‘outrageous,’ unconstitutional mandatory gun sentence

The Conservative government’s tough-on-crime rewriting of the Criminal Code took a potentially fatal blow when an Ontario judge struck down mandatory minimum prison sentences for gun crimes, declaring them “cruel and unusual punishment.”

Ontario Superior Court Judge Anne Molloy concluded that sending a man to prison for three years in the case before her, even though he was found holding a loaded handgun, was unconstitutional.

Leroy Smickle, 30, of Toronto, was caught in “adolescent preening” with a pistol and a web camera when, coincidentally, police burst into his cousin’s apartment.

“A reasonable person knowing the circumstances of this case, and the principles underlying both the Charter and the general sentencing provisions of the Criminal Code, would consider a three year sentence to be fundamentally unfair, outrageous, abhorrent and intolerable,” she wrote in her judgment released Monday.

The Criminal Code’s mandatory minimum provision violates Smickle’s Charter rights she ruled and, as such, she struck it down.

“Section 12 of the Charter provides that, ‘Everyone has the right not to be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.’ That right is enshrined in our Constitution, which is declared to be the ‘supreme law of Canada’ such that any law inconsistent with the Charter is ‘to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force and effect,’” she wrote.

Justice Molloy understood the potential danger of guns but decried one-size-fits-all punishment. “As a trial judge in Toronto, I am painfully aware, and am reminded almost daily, of the deadly scourge represented by handguns in our community,” she wrote.

“Possession of a loaded restricted or prohibited firearm is a serious matter. But, typically, it is the circumstances in which the gun is possessed, and what is done with the gun, that give rise to the more serious concerns affecting community safety. It is also difficult to see how inflicting cruel and unusual punishment on an individual can be justified based on an overall legislative objective of general deterrence.”

Ottawa defended mandatory minimums and suggested an appeal is likely.

“Canadians are concerned about crime — especially crimes involving firearms. To respond to these concerns our government passed mandatory minimum sentencing for certain serious gun crimes,” said Julie Di Mambro, spokeswoman for Rob Nicholson, the Minister of Justice.

Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for the Attorney General of Ontario, said the Crown is reviewing the decision before deciding what to do next.

The mandatory minimum gun law came into force in 2008 as part of the Conservative government’s “Tackling Violent Crime Act.” A similar approach is part of the new Bill C-10, the Harper government’s omnibus crime bill. The bill has been attacked by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, which says there is little evidence mandatory minimums provide deterrence, enhance safety or lower crime rates.

Although the Toronto judgment will have important ramifications, the case it sprang from is strikingly droll. It took three smashes of a battering ram for a Toronto police tactical squad to burst into an apartment at 2 a.m. in 2009.

Smickle happened to be spending the night at the apartment when officers came looking for his cousin. Smickle thought it was thunder. When officers burst in, he was on the couch in boxer shorts, tank top and sunglasses, a pistol in his left hand and a laptop computer in his right, apparently taking pictures of himself looking “cool,” court heard.

The gun wasn’t his and police found other guns in the tenant’s bedroom, court heard. Smickle had no criminal record, held a job, has a young child and a fiancée and was working to finish high school.

He was charged with possession of a loaded firearm.

Justice Molloy sentenced him to serve five months under house arrest in addition to the equivalent of seven months spent in pre-trial custody.

Jeff Hershberg, one of his two lawyers, was elated. “The effect of this well-reasoned and thorough judgment is to put back in the hands of the judges the discretion during a sentencing hearing to provide a just and fit sentence,” he said after court.

Leroy Smickle case: Judge rejects 'outrageous,' unconstitutional mandatory gun sentence | News | National Post

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
mentalfloss, Goober already created a thread about this topic, so I just merged your thread into his.:)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Woooooooooops.

Thanks shadow. :)

Kill them, and you remove one of the few reasons I would consider moving awat from the Conservative Party.

Like a fish to water - you are but a pawn for their vote.

And I agree! The judge should stand his ground and get rid of this ridiculous sentence for taking a picture with you and your loved one.

But definitely take note of this move Colpers. A government that is willing to treat its own core base as expendable, should not be trusted.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
These cons do scare the bejazus outa me. An, I'm too much of a gentleman to say "I told ya"..............

Nothing we can do but make a lot of noise, object, write letters,

Did anyone really know Harpo was a "Hitler in waiting"??

Not only can these idiots not see the writing on the wall, they have trouble finding the wall.

Hopefully we still have the right to vote in 4 years.