Canada says F-35s cost $14 B; Norway says they cost $40 B

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Why is Norway Estimating $40 Billion for 52 F-35s While Canada Says 65 F-35s Cost Around $14 Billion?

The latest questions in the House of Commons on DND’s F35 purchase are focusing on the differences of costs between Norway’s purchase and Canada’s acquisition of the Joint Strike Fighter.

Norway has put the total cost at around $40 billion for 52 aircraft.

So the question has arisen in the Commons about why is Canada spending $14.7 billion (DND’s estimate for total F35 procurement and 20 years of maintenance) and Norway is spending much more.

“Norway has acknowledged that the true cost of their 52 F-35s will be $40 billion or more,” NDP procurement critic Matthew Kellway said Monday.

He repeated the party’s call to put the next generation fighter project out for open bidding.

The Conservative government won’t be doing that of course. Associate Defence Minister Julian Fantino did not answer the question about the discrepancy in the cost that Norway is paying versus what Canada will pay.

He instead repeated some of his familiar comments. “Our government’s preference is to put our trust in our pilots and materiel experts who know the importance of the F-35 program that is producing Twenty First Century fighter jets our military needs while at the same time sustaining quality aerospace jobs across Canada,” Fantino responded.

But the question remains – why the cost difference?

Norway’s F-35s will be using similar communications software for use over Arctic areas. It is also one of the countries, besides Canada, that is looking at the installation of a drag chute. Both nations are buying the same model of the plane.

Why is Norway Estimating $40 Billion for 52 F-35s While Canada Says 65 F-35s Cost Around $14 Billion? | Ottawa Citizen

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I was listening to question period and Fantino comes off as a complete shill.

Where the hell is our transparency on these goddamn planes???

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1.00 CAD =5.67960 NOK

so...0.77 Billion per plane in NOK$ / 5.67960(conversion) = 0.136CDN$
&....0.21 Billion per plane in CDN$

The Norweigians are paying less per plane than the Canadians. About 34%
less....hmmm.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
1.00 CAD =5.67960 NOK

so...0.77 Billion per plane in NOK$ / 5.67960(conversion) = 0.136CDN$
&....0.21 Billion per plane in CDN$

The Norweigians are paying less per plane than the Canadians. About 34%
less....hmmm.

I just realized the norwegian article I posted is from June.

Whatever the exchange rate is, it's at least $40 billion USD.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps Canada's participation in the development and tech supply, got a discount.

Maybe it's like all things transported, more expensive the further it gets from the source.

I was listening to question period and Fantino comes off as a complete shill.
Really? That's all he comes across as?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Perhaps Canada's participation in the development and tech supply, got a discount.

Maybe it's like all things transported, more expensive the further it gets from the source.

Really? That's all he comes across as?
$26 billion in shipping costs? What are they doing, fed-exing 1 piece at a time? :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
$26 billion in shipping costs? What are they doing, fed-exing 1 piece at a time? :lol:
Have you ever shipped a plane?

Not that I have, but I'm sure it isn't cheap. Combine that with the fact that Canada is a contributing partner in the venture. I can see why they may be cheaper for Canada.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Have you ever shipped a plane?

Not that I have, but I'm sure it isn't cheap. Combine that with the fact that Canada is a contributing partner in the venture. I can see why they may be cheaper for Canada.
You don't think it would be cheaper and easier to, say, FLY them over after construction?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't know. Is it?

Is it cheaper to transport them to Norway than Canada?
I'm just surmising using good judgement and common sense. I suppose I could be wrong.

I imagine it would be cheaper to ship to Canada than Norway but who knows what trade tarriffs are in place that could affect the total cost. LOL