Bill for native accountability won't fix problems: AFN

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Canadian Press
Date: Wed. Nov. 23 2011 5:02 PM ET

OTTAWA — Aboriginal affairs minister John Duncan is resurrecting a bill that would force First Nations to publish the salaries of band leaders and councillors.
First Nations leaders say they might agree that the finances should be transparent and public, but they don't like how Ottawa is going about it.
National Chief Shawn Atleo of the Assembly of First Nations says chiefs are already taking many steps to open up their books, but the government is imposing new rules without due respect.
He says Ottawa's main priority should be to address urgent issues such as First Nations education, health and poverty.
Atleo adds that accountability should apply to the federal government too, and a total overhaul of the fiscal relationship between Ottawa and First Nations is necessary.

Bill for native accountability won't fix problems: AFN | CTV News

I don't care how Ottawa is going about it. Just do it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA — Aboriginal affairs minister John Duncan is resurrecting a bill that would force First Nations to publish the salaries of band leaders and councillors.
First Nations leaders say they might agree that the finances should be transparent and public, but they don't like how Ottawa is going about it.
National Chief Shawn Atleo of the Assembly of First Nations says chiefs are already taking many steps to open up their books, but the government is imposing new rules without due respect.
He says Ottawa's main priority should be to address urgent issues such as First Nations education, health and poverty.
Atleo adds that accountability should apply to the federal government too, and a total overhaul of the fiscal relationship between Ottawa and First Nations is necessary.

Agreed, but I would like Ottawa to be accountable and transparent for the billions that get lost in the bureaucratic nightmare of the dept. of Indian Affairs too. Maybe (I know it is a big maybe) people like the Dump would see where all that money he thinks Indians get is actually going.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Agreed, but I would like Ottawa to be accountable and transparent fr the billions that get lost in the bureaucratic nightmare of the dept. of Indian Affairs too.
Fair enough. Although we do have access to their financial records. But accountable, they aren't.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a start no? Perhaps if one side of the money equation was completely accountable, they'd have more of a leg to stand on in demanding accountability from the other side, the government side?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Agreed, but I would like Ottawa to be accountable and transparent for the billions that get lost in the bureaucratic nightmare of the dept. of Indian Affairs too. Maybe (I know it is a big maybe) people like the Dump would see where all that money he thinks Indians get is actually going.

Please add in all the other Dept's. They cannot even figure out how much goes towards elderly, disabled, Aboriginals. This is due to some programs being in this dept, another falls under another . The ability of the Govt to track monies effectively is crap.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Taxpayers have a right to know where their money goes. Also a right to demand that the tap be shut off to those abusing our chequebook.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Canadian Press

Bear - there was an issue ref Aboriginals using Fed Cards for prescribed drugs. The Govt does not know who got what - It would also have addressed the problem of multiple prescriptions and selling of drugs.

The Sask Aboriginal whatever they head guys are called were against this. Do you remember this??

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Taxpayers have a right to know where their money goes. Also a right to demand that the tap be shut off to those abusing our chequebook.

So you believe we should kick out Hapless, Flatulance, Bairdido, and McEye!!! Good f'n idea. best one you've had. Hell, run for el primo: I'll vote fer ya.

Bye bye F35...........taxslave is pissed!!

look out!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's a start no? Perhaps if one side of the money equation was completely accountable, they'd have more of a leg to stand on in demanding accountability from the other side, the government side?
I agree, but don't really care. I want accountability and transparency in the leadership, yesterday.

Their greed and arrogance, is counterproductive. We should be striving to be better than. Two wrongs never make a right.

Do you remember this??
First I've heard of it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree, but don't really care. I want accountability and transparency in the leadership, yesterday.

Their greed and arrogance, is counterproductive. We should be striving to be better than. Two wrongs never make a right.
[/QUOTE]

Oh hell, don't we all want our leadership to be accountable and transparent? But I hear ya. Governments problems and issues of accountability and transparency transcend just the Dept for Aboriginal Affairs, so it makes sense to clean up the leadership on the First Nations side of the equation.

But it just seems to me that if one side is cleaned up and not the other, we won't really get all that far. Kinda like having two flat tires and only replacing the one.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But it just seems to me that if one side is cleaned up and not the other, we won't really get all that far. Kinda like having two flat tires and only replacing the one.
I agree. But I'm closer to the bottom. Boots on the ground as it were.

The sooner the leadership has the light of day put upon their pay cheques, perks and privilege. The sooner we can demand reckoning. Closer to the people who need it the most.

And I hate to sound cliche, but in my case, it's kids.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree. But I'm closer to the bottom. Boots on the ground as it were.

The sooner the leadership has the light of day put upon their pay cheques, perks and privilege. The sooner we can demand reckoning. Closer to the people who need it the most.

And I hate to sound cliche, but in my case, it's kids.

I don't disagree with you at all. From the ground up, best way to build anything. Or rebuild as the case may be.

It's just the way I'm prone to think, mindful of the details but with an eye on the big picture. It's the accountant in me, lol.