Is Pepper Spray Humane In Breaking Up Protests

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Is Pepper Spray Humane In Breaking Up Protests

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8902294/Chilling-footage-of-protesters-at-the-University-of-California-being-pepper-sprayed-prompts-outrage.html

Pepper spraying protesters is a police favourite in breaking up demonstrations after they ran their due course.

Occupy Toronto protesters might get the same treatment if they decide not to move along and obey the court order whenever it is decided.

Should pepper spraying be banned and get some type of other deterrent like the sound cannon?

What do you think?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sgt Pepper Spray's Lonely Hearts Cop Band

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
From what I saw the protesters were simply being non-compliant, by sitting down.

In Canada, the use of any weapon must be based on active resistance, as is clearly illustrated in the Canadian Use of Force module.......which I believe is identical to the one used in the USA.

Pepper spray is a very useful tool, superior to both the baton and the taser as an intermediate weapon, as it is less likely to cause permanent injury or death, and is easily carried by every officer.

But its use in this case seems excessive.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Pepper spray kills. PERIOD

Improperly used against persons with lung problems.....it can be, in extremely (and I do mean EXTREMELY) rare cases.

You are more apt to kill with the baton, or simply with physical take-down procedures, and many more times apt to kill with the taser.

Any time you physically confront another person, lethality is a possiblity. Pepper spray is one of the very best ways to safely do so.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Taser them instead. If that fails, rubber bullets. I hear there is a water cooled 12 gauge Gatling gun available in Spokane for a mere $1800 and is said to clear a street faster than any other method available. The mess is easily cleaned up with a water canon.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think pepper spray in and of itself is the problem but using it in an attempt to "disperse" a crowd makes no sense to me.

Pepper spray (and tasers) are, for the most part, non-lethal means to diffuse a violent situation. If a situation is not violent, they shouldn't be used.