Freedom of Speech to be Returned!!!

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
About time, but as the Justice Minister explains, there are still laws against hate speech and the government still intends to prosecute it.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
About time, but as the Justice Minister explains, there are still laws against hate speech and the government still intends to prosecute it.

You like flowing with the political winds don't you? Haven't you criticized others for "spreading hate"? In particular Quran-burning pastors, who although distasteful, should have the right to freely express themselves?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Oh look, it's Ezra Levant trying to teach me what 1984 means again.

I can't believe you guys are falling for this kind of theater. Yes, it is a stupid law and I'm glad that it was repealed, but no one in their right mind would lose to a prosecution for offending someone on Facebook.

Spinning this as some great success story is hilarious.

Free speech has been restored and we no longer have to suffer the tyranny of this government for swearing on Twitter!

And in other news today, Pat Martin was released from jail for offending the Conservative caucus, rofl

Please.

Let me know when the real success stories begin.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This is a beginning, but in my opinion Hate Laws should be removed from the books as well.

I can't believe you guys are falling for this kind of theater. Yes, it is a stupid law and I'm glad that it was repealed, but no one in their right mind would lose to a prosecution for offending someone on Facebook.

Spinning this as some great success story is hilarious.

Free speech has been restored and we no longer have to suffer the tyranny of this government for swearing on Twitter!

And in other news today, Pat Martin was released from jail for offending the Conservative caucus, rofl

Please.

Let me know when the real success stories begin.

Yeah you laugh, but when a comedian gets dragged before the Kangaroo Court for taking on a couple of drunk lesbian hecklers on it's not that funny. When they censor a song by Dire Straits because of one complaint in NFLD for fear of rebuttal it is a direct attack on free speech. The Western Standard and MacLeans Magazine have the money and lawyers to challenge this sort of crap.

How about Free Dominion Forums who were threatened by the HRC?.

It's not laughable MF, it's a real concern. When I wrote my book I had to consider these things prior to publication. Not writing something that would be deemed illegal, but writing something that might lead to offense being taken and me getting dragged into the HRC because someone didn't like what I wrote.

Someone could have easily come on here and dragged one of us into an HRC if they disagreed with our stance.

And it doesn't have to be a Colpy or a Gerryh or an RCS. It could easily be an EAO or an Ocean Breeze.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Yes, if things were the way Ezra believes, this forum would have been shut down long ago given the amount of thin skin here. Will be glad to see section 13 go though.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not once in writing my six books or the thousands of posts on this forum have I considered whether or not what I wrote would offend someone. Most of the time I do not intend to offend, but there are rare occasions. If someone is offended, that is their problem. Also, I have nothing to lose if I get called up before the HRC. They can kiss my hairy butt. They can't get blood from a stone.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Not once in writing my six books or the thousands of posts on this forum have I considered whether or not what I wrote would offend someone. Most of the time I do not intend to offend, but there are rare occasions. If someone is offended, that is their problem. Also, I have nothing to lose if I get called up before the HRC. They can kiss my hairy butt. They can't get blood from a stone.

The bold statement you made I wholeheartedly concur. However, I think people are really missing the point here. Free speech must be protected and these tribunals run completely contrary to that. The web forum Free Dominion Canada, of which I don't subscribe was served notice by the HRC to start handing over IP addresses.

Defense of free speech must be absolute. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion (Right or Wrong.)

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
South of the border internet censorship is being debated.

Well there isn't a government body out there that doesn't like the idea of controlling the message. Honestly, whether we differ in politics should not matter. This should be the one issue we come together on, because it affects everyone.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The bold statement you made I wholeheartedly concur. However, I think people are really missing the point here. Free speech must be protected and these tribunals run completely contrary to that. The web forum Free Dominion Canada, of which I don't subscribe was served notice by the HRC to start handing over IP addresses.

Defense of free speech must be absolute. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion (Right or Wrong.)

Exactly.

Ban or censor one book, one word, one idea and it can be open season on the rest.

Everyone has the right to be wrong, or an asshole or publically shunned. But they should have the right to be heard.

OWS, Stormfront, Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Tea party or any tin hatter. Have at it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah you laugh, but when a comedian gets dragged before the Kangaroo Court for taking on a couple of drunk lesbian hecklers on it's not that funny. When they censor a song by Dire Straits because of one complaint in NFLD for fear of rebuttal it is a direct attack on free speech.

Section 13.1 of the Canadian Human Rights Act, states that it is discriminatory to communicate by phone or Internet any material "that is likely to expose a person or persons to hatred or contempt."

Making sure people are allowed to be offended on the tweeters or over the phone doesn't do much for your examples. And there is no indication that it would act as a domino effect for other forms of censorship.

This is a charade - pure theater - by the government to make themselves look like free speech advocates, but this particular section has never been a threat to anyone, especially not those who could actually enforce some sort of punishment for F--- you posts in the first place.

[5] Noam Chomsky has said about the section, "I think it's outrageous, like the comparable European laws. It's also pure hypocrisy. If it were applied the media and journals would be shut down. They don't expose current enemies of the state to hatred or contempt?"[6]

Canadian Human Rights Commission free speech controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the amount of bile that's spewed on this site, all of us would be in court at some point by now.