diversity of ideas: party asset or flaw?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd been watching CPAC on and off lately, and I'd been finding MPs blasting the opposing party for "internal division". for instance, one CPC MP was blasting the NDP for the fact that some of its MPs support eliminating the long-gun registry. On the other hand, an NDP MP was praising some CPC MPs for voicing concern over asbestos.

So your thoughts on this. Is diversity of ideas within a party an asset or a liability? Personally I'd see it as an asset as it suggests party members are more responsive to constituents than to party. Yet some seem to perceive this as a party weakness. if anything, I'd be more tempted to vote for a candidate who can in fact vote his conscience over one constrained by the party he belongs to.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
if anything, I'd be more tempted to vote for a candidate who can in fact vote his conscience over one constrained by the party he belongs to.

It would be grand wouldn't it, Machjo - unfortunately not towing the party line can leave an MP without the wherewithal to help their constituents.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
On federal matters, local constituents should be second priority to that caucus' national mandate.

That being said, party members can vote against the party line if they want.