Politicians in GTA lack diversity

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Only 11 per cent of the 347 GTA elected officials at the three levels of government are held by visible minorities, who make up two of five residents in the region.
A study released Tuesday by DiverseCity: The Greater Toronto Leadership Project — compiled at the completion of this year’s federal, provincial and municipal elections — found that visible minorities account for 25 per cent or 12 of the 47 GTA seats in the Ontario legislature.
Visible minority group representation is dismal at the federal and local levels — making up 17 per cent of the region’s 47 seats in the House of Commons and just 7 per cent of 253 municipal council seats.

more

Toronto News: Politicians in GTA lack diversity - thestar.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So? People do not elect their representatives based upon what race they are. They do based upon their record and their party and their party's record.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
New Canadians/immigrants/vizmins, are completely Canadian of course, but because many are not white, they are racially categorised by the govt and proclaimed by the media to be different. In a colour blind society, you're not supposed to notice colour, yet the media is mendacious here on this issue and notice it all the time. How is the media so sure who is not white or not Canadian? This is not reporting, but opinion because many people listed in these stats actually feel Canadian, but if they don't look Canadian, they are not Canadian.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This is not reporting, but opinion because many people listed in these stats actually feel Canadian, but if they don't look Canadian, they are not Canadian.

Opinion? Seems to be statistics to me. Does someone lose their ethnicity or race when they feel Canadian

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
My neighbour Henry says his third cousin twice removed graduated from both McGill and the UofS. Yep, he says, he's a man of diversity!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Opinion? Seems to be statistics to me. Does someone lose their ethnicity or race when they feel Canadian

These stats seem like opinion to me. Only the govt keeps these stats, no one else. The govt determines our race. And yet, race is not scientific, it has no basis in science. Just because race is mentioned in the Charter of Rights does not make it a fact.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Race is a social construct, not a genetic reality. And, ethnicity is a fiction. Is someone from the UK a Celt, Angle, Saxon, Jute, Roman, Scandinavian, Norman, etc....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
These stats seem like opinion to me. Only the govt keeps these stats, no one else. The govt determines our race. And yet, race is not scientific, it has no basis in science. Just because race is mentioned in the Charter of Rights does not make it a fact.

The govt determines our race? That's idiocy. So you're telling me a black person is only so due to some government definition?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The govt determines our race? That's idiocy. So you're telling me a black person is only so due to some government definition?

Yes. Govts keep statistics on race, no one else does. Because it is assumed the public wants stats on race, there is legislation so StatsCan can collect and create stats on race. It'sa very complicated subject and I'm in favour of less govt these days and this is one area the govt should do much less. I put it on the same level as collecting stats on housework by men. I don't want to hear about it, or pay for it. Layoffs or in order here.