Hard Drugs Take Down YVR Occupy Camp

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Looks like the end for the losers @ OV downtown-in this case a dead junkie really is a good junkie.

Occupy Vancouver death dooms protest camp

The death of a woman taking part in the Occupy Vancouver protest at the city's art gallery has led the city's mayor to announce the protest movement's tent city will be cleared.

"I have directed the city manager to expedite the appropriate steps to end the encampment as soon as possible with a safe resolution being absolutely critical to that," Mayor Gregor Robertson said Saturday night.

Police said a woman in her 20s was found unresponsive inside a tent at the encampment at about 4:30 p.m. PT Saturday.

Police talk to people at the scene.

"Tragically, she could not be revived," Vancouver police Const. Jana McGuinness told reporters. "She was transported to hospital and pronounced deceased at hospital."

Police said the cause of death has not been determined and would not confirm reports the woman died of a drug overdose.

However, Lauren Gill, an organizer at the camp, said that was apparently the case. She said the death highlights the need for more addiction services because drugs are such a big issue in the city.

Gill, who is running as an independent in this month's city elections, said that as an outreach worker in mental health and addiction services, she has seen far too many overdose deaths.

A section of the tent city near the corner of Howe and Georgia streets was roped off and about a dozen police and fire officials were on scene. CBC
Protesters listening to the mayor's announcement yelled their disagreement, and accused Robertson of using the woman's death for political purposes.

"Shutting down the encampment will not alleviate the heroin epidemic that's going on in this city," one of the protesters said. "We need people to pay attention to this fact. We need funding, we need help."

A section of the tent city near the corner of Howe and Georgia streets was roped off and about a dozen police and fire officials were on scene, the CBC's Chad Pawson reported from the scene on Saturday afternoon. He reported about a dozen people were visibly upset, crying and hugging each other, and being very hostile towards the media.

Drug overdose
The death comes after a protester was treated for a drug overdose at the encampment on Thursday and amid concern by Vancouver's fire department about the conditions at the Occupy camp.

The protest movement has also become a key issue in the Nov. 19 civic election in Vancouver, with Robertson facing criticism for allowing the tent city to continue. On Friday, the mayor said authorities could be forced to remove occupiers and bring down the tent city, but said he is still hopeful a peaceful solution could be reached.

Robertson has taken heat from rival Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate Suzanne Anton, who has called on the mayor to act quickly to break up the protest.

On Saturday, Anton issued a news release expressing her sadness at the woman's death and reiterated her call that the encampment be shut down.

"This is a very sad event," Anton wrote. "My thoughts are with the family of this young women and with the Occupy Vancouver community." Referring to the tent city, Anton concluded: "It is time for the tents to be taken down."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Looks like the end for the losers @ OV downtown-in this case a dead junkie really is a good junkie.

Occupy Vancouver death dooms protest camp

The death of a woman taking part in the Occupy Vancouver protest at the city's art gallery has led the city's mayor to announce the protest movement's tent city will be cleared.

"I have directed the city manager to expedite the appropriate steps to end the encampment as soon as possible with a safe resolution being absolutely critical to that," Mayor Gregor Robertson said Saturday night.

Police said a woman in her 20s was found unresponsive inside a tent at the encampment at about 4:30 p.m. PT Saturday.

Police talk to people at the scene.

"Tragically, she could not be revived," Vancouver police Const. Jana McGuinness told reporters. "She was transported to hospital and pronounced deceased at hospital."

Police said the cause of death has not been determined and would not confirm reports the woman died of a drug overdose.

However, Lauren Gill, an organizer at the camp, said that was apparently the case. She said the death highlights the need for more addiction services because drugs are such a big issue in the city.

Gill, who is running as an independent in this month's city elections, said that as an outreach worker in mental health and addiction services, she has seen far too many overdose deaths.

A section of the tent city near the corner of Howe and Georgia streets was roped off and about a dozen police and fire officials were on scene. CBC
Protesters listening to the mayor's announcement yelled their disagreement, and accused Robertson of using the woman's death for political purposes.

"Shutting down the encampment will not alleviate the heroin epidemic that's going on in this city," one of the protesters said. "We need people to pay attention to this fact. We need funding, we need help."

A section of the tent city near the corner of Howe and Georgia streets was roped off and about a dozen police and fire officials were on scene, the CBC's Chad Pawson reported from the scene on Saturday afternoon. He reported about a dozen people were visibly upset, crying and hugging each other, and being very hostile towards the media.

Drug overdose
The death comes after a protester was treated for a drug overdose at the encampment on Thursday and amid concern by Vancouver's fire department about the conditions at the Occupy camp.

The protest movement has also become a key issue in the Nov. 19 civic election in Vancouver, with Robertson facing criticism for allowing the tent city to continue. On Friday, the mayor said authorities could be forced to remove occupiers and bring down the tent city, but said he is still hopeful a peaceful solution could be reached.

Robertson has taken heat from rival Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate Suzanne Anton, who has called on the mayor to act quickly to break up the protest.

On Saturday, Anton issued a news release expressing her sadness at the woman's death and reiterated her call that the encampment be shut down.

"This is a very sad event," Anton wrote. "My thoughts are with the family of this young women and with the Occupy Vancouver community." Referring to the tent city, Anton concluded: "It is time for the tents to be taken down."

Pretty fukin sad that you are overjoyed about a Junkies death.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's pretty fu ckin sad when ANYONE is overjoyed by ANYONES death.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
and yet you give the gears to someone that is doing the same as you.

Yes I do and will continue to do so. I would not cry a tear over mass murderers like Hitler, Stalin, Mao - Mugabe and so on and on.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
ANd that is why all these protests ultimately fail. The people doing the protesting are there to party, preferably on the taxpayers dime instead of proposing a solution to the problem.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
ANd that is why all these protests ultimately fail. The people doing the protesting are there to party, preferably on the taxpayers dime instead of proposing a solution to the problem.
The original call to occupy was to bring your vision of the future so that a unified vision could be created. There was no central theme or cause except to bring an end to the tyranny of the money controllers that are destroying any hope for the future of the masses. What you don't see on TV or any media is the meetings, the planning sessions that take place at these protests. A vision is being formed but the media purposely focuses on the negative aspects to promote hatred and disdain of those who are working toward a better furture for everyone.

But, there are those who prefer to hate any change, no matter what the consequences, those that are too lazy to do their own research into matters but would rather believe in the propaganda because it is much easier to be spoon fed than to actually get off the couch and find out for themselves what is going on.

I say - tear down the system before it destroys us all. Power to the people! and all that.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The people in Canada have all the power they need. Most of them are simply too lazy to use it. Which is why the 1% get what they want.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The people in Canada have all the power they need. Most of them are simply too lazy to use it. Which is why the 1% get what they want.
That is simply delusional. But when people try to exercise their power, many on here shyte on them, ridicule and degenerate them for trying. Sure some of the people at these occupy gatherings are there for the free meal, but many are there to exercise their democratic rights, only to have the establishment change in a beat or pepper spray them to the cheers of the sheeple.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
So are your comments on an addicts death. May you be lucky enough to never have a family member or friend that suffers from an addiction.
My Father was a full fledged alcoholic and I've lost a number of friends over the years to drug overdoses.

If my attitude seems callous to you TDB.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Whenever i hear drugs, death, British Columbia i automatically think stabbing. So imagine my suprised when i couldnt find the word "knife" in the article.... And to the fella who named the hyperlink...You should show some respect to the memory of a dead human being, addict or not...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually taking down the tent city will help the occupy movement. The awareness has
been raised and its time to move to the next stage of the demonstrations what ever that
might be. This movement has spawned all kinds of action that has traction as it were.
The woman who stood up against the five dollar debit charge, stoned the big banks
between the eyes. Literally thousands of people has cancelled big bank accounts and
have gone to credit unions south of the boarder. The Supreme Court has also ruled
that many, actually thousands of foreclosures were not handled properly and they have
to allow people to appeal. The other part of the equation is many will not have to leave
their homes as thousands of these mortgages were bundled and the banks don't have
the actual deeds anymore.
Occupy will become the slogan of the next decade as this movement will soon refocus.
I believe they are going to go after the banks, stock markets and the big bonus structure
of both government and private industry. Not only that if the economy tanks they will
sweep the nation and overshadow the Tea Party Movement. This is about to become the
next great cause. It will soon be alright to going back to eating non organic food and the
silly municipalities can start to allow people to kill their weeds again without committing
a sin.
Remember Gandhi? He said first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they
become angry with you, and then you win. That is going to repeat itself here over time.
Thirty years ago, environmentalists and Green Peace, were enemies of the corporate
world and the social structure, Today they are the state of the art as it were, and these
people need a new cause. Goodbye global warming, and hellllllo Wall Street.