Canada's homicide rate declines to 44-year low

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The number of homicides in Canada last year fell to the lowest level in 44 years, according to Statistics Canada, a decrease the agency says was driven largely by fewer incidents in major cities and the western provinces.

In 2010, police reported 554 homicides in Canada, 56 fewer than the year before, the agency reported Tuesday, following a decade of relative stability. The homicide rate fell to 1.62 for every 100,000 population, its lowest level since 1966, the agency says.

The data was released a day after the Conservative government launched its third attempt in the House of Commons
to abolish the federal long-gun registry and destroy its records, arguing the program is wasteful and ineffective in preventing gun crime.

The decrease follows a downward trend in Canada's overall crime rate in the past decade.

With 35 fewer homicides in 2010 than in 2009, the rate in British Columbia fell to its lowest point since the mid-1960s. Police in Alberta reported 18 fewer homicides, while those in Manitoba reported 12 fewer.

Police in several of the nation's largest cities reported substantially fewer homicides in 2010. The homicide rate in Vancouver, with 25 fewer killings, fell 42 per cent to its lowest level since data in metropolitan areas became available in 1981.

Thunder Bay recorded the highest homicide rate for the second year in a row, with five slayings — a rate of 4.2 per 100,000 population. The next highest rates were in Saskatoon and Regina, Statistics Canada says.

Gun killings down

Police reported 170 homicides with a firearm last year, down from 180 the year before, which Statistics Canada said is consistent with a general decline in gun-related homicides seen over the past three decades.

The rate of gang-related slayings also decreased for the second year in a row, with police considering 94 killings to be connected with gangs in 2010, down from 124 in the previous year.

Rates of homicide involving rifles or shotguns in 2010 were about one-fifth of those seen 30 years ago.

Stabbings, accounting for 31 per cent of homicides, were nearly as common in 2010 as shootings, at 32 per cent. Another 22 per cent of homicides involved beatings, while eight per cent were by strangulation or suffocation. The remaining homicides used other means such as motor vehicles, fire and poisoning.

Canada's homicide rate declines to 44-year low - Canada - CBC News

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Harper's anti-crime initiative is NUTS, top to bottom.

Well there is definitely a clear motive:

1.) He wants to bust the drug users
2.) He needs the jail space for next year's new murderers

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well there is definitely a clear motive:

1.) He wants to bust the drug users
2.) He needs the jail space for next year's new murderers

Leave the potheads alone....

And there won't be any "new" murders.....the murder rate JUMPED the year after the LGR was completed......

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Just as soon as they do away with long gun registration, every time someone shoots a groundhog, it'll be front page news. Specially if they do it with a SEMI-AUTOMATIC-TWENTY TWO CALIBRE WEAPON.!!! Can just see that in the Toronto Star!

, Harpo's completely lost it with the prison building. Follow the money. Who stands to gain? I dunno. Private for profit prison buddies?

ejp

Oct 26, 2011
Political noob here,

What does Harper have to gain from his prison scheme? I've heard the argument that he is only doing this because he has private companies looking to invest in these prisons, but even then how would these investors generate revenue from a prison? It's not like investing in a business that is a productive part of the economy...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Political noob here,

What does Harper have to gain from his prison scheme? I've heard the argument that he is only doing this because he has private companies looking to invest in these prisons, but even then how would these investors generate revenue from a prison? It's not like investing in a business that is a productive part of the economy...

He has to appease the social conservative base some how.

My guess is he's gonna lock up druggies next year.

There is supposed to be a court ruling on pot coming up if I'm not mistaken. With the new judges hired, maybe they'll make it a point to denounce it and start piling on the inmates.

That's really the only thing I can come up with. Otherwise this will look like a political blunder next year if the only thing in prisons is tumbleweed. (you see what I did there?)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

The number of homicides in Canada last year fell to the lowest level in 44 years, according to Statistics Canada, a decrease the agency says was driven largely by fewer incidents in major cities and the western provinces.

That's obviously because the gun registry is being scrapped, and we're going to get tough on criminals.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For the umpteenth time, the new prisons are being built to replace over crowded facilities. Where criminals are getting their sentences reduced, because of the over crowding.

The homicide rate is down for many reasons.

I highly doubt the LGR is the major factor.

But it’s “not absolutely clear” why the trend line is going down. “It’s just not a Canadian phenomenon,” he said.
Bring on the speculation.

“From about 1960 to about 1976, homicide rates went up and went up quite dramatically,” Doob said. “What needs to be explained more is not why we have the homicide rate now, but rather why we had the higher homicide rates before.”
House of Commons...

1 Oct. 1967
8 Oct. 1971

Look them up.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OMehhhhhhhhhhh, could be, Bear; but I doubt if the Cons any more than the Libs give a sweet **** about inmates living in crowded conditions. The supposition that they are doing this to help lawbreakers live a more comfy existence is hard to believe.