The Gutting Of Toronto By A Tough Mayor

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Gutting Of Toronto By A Tough Mayor

Toronto is a wake up call for all voters accross the land to understand the use of the words “Tax Cuts”.

In the last Toronto mayoral elections a businessman stepped forward with a plan to cut taxes.

This businessman was a city councillor for years and saw wasteful spending at city hall.

His slogan was “Too Much Gravy At City Hall”.

In order to cut taxes two must occur either raise revenues or cut services.

Cutting services basically lowers the quality of life for a community and raising revenues makes it harder for people to make ends meet.

Toronto is in a more unique position than the rest of the cities in Canada where the province of Ontario passed a bill called The City Of Toronto Act http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_06c11_e.htm

This means that the city of Toronto has more power to create monies it needs to run the city and not always going to the province for a handout.

This means a extra tax on vehicle registration and land transfers which the mayor said he would get rid of when he was elected.

The mayor has decided to sell off city assets like library branches that the community worked hard to raise funds for and two major theatres one in the city core and the other in the suburbs.

The mayor is after the federal government to make the city zoo into a national park and if that fails just sell it to the highest bidder that might close it and build more condos.

The city has cut back on subway trains and buses during rush hours

The police services are being cut back just as the crime rate was starting to go down.

There is a lot more cuts to come for the city and even with the different citizens groups protesting loudly the mayor is not listening.

The next time a politician comes to ask for your vote with a promise of tax cuts think long and hard about the gutting of your city.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I don't think police officers reduce crime. They deal with crime. So if the crime rate is falling so should the need for police.

Do you need your government in the library or zoo businesses? Those aren't essential services.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I don't think police officers reduce crime. They deal with crime. So if the crime rate is falling so should the need for police.

Do you need your government in the library or zoo businesses? Those aren't essential services.

You need the city in the library business because it is not a business. It is a necessary part of a civilized society. The first thing the dictators and despots do is control the media including the libraries. Cuts need to be made in Toronto, like twice a week garbage for some people and other stupid things. Though I think there are only so many things that can be cut and probably don't add up to the $$ needed to be cut.
BTW, if crime is on the decline whats with Harpo's crime/prison bill. Retarded thinking and actions by Harpo and the Cherry loving buffoon that Ford has become is what got McGuinty back into power in Ontario. Go figure...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You need the city in the library business because it is not a business. It is a necessary part of a civilized society. The first thing the dictators and despots do is control the media including the libraries. Cuts need to be made in Toronto, like twice a week garbage for some people and other stupid things. Though I think there are only so many things that can be cut and probably don't add up to the $$ needed to be cut.
BTW, if crime is on the decline whats with Harpo's crime/prison bill. Retarded thinking and actions by Harpo and the Cherry loving buffoon that Ford has become is what got McGuinty back into power in Ontario. Go figure...
I agree with having no need for Harpo's crime plan.

In this day and age I don't see a need for a public funded community library. Schools have libraries. The internet is primarily a free resource. They should be able to stand on their own. Collect membership fees or fundraise, but don't cost everything out to the vast majority who never use them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

In this day and age I don't see a need for a public funded community library. Schools have libraries. The internet is primarily a free resource. They should be able to stand on their own. Collect membership fees or fundraise, but don't cost everything out to the vast majority who never use them.

Have to disagree about the libraries, they are a necessary public service.

Most school libraries these days barely qualify as libraries.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

OK, so where is this 'free internet' to which you refer?
Maybe you can get free dial up but that's about it, except for the library. Libraries need to change a little to meet peoples needs. The people who can't afford books can't afford internet access. If they need to look for a job, that sh1t is all online now. It wouldn't hurt to have libraries have some sort of nominal user fees and do some fund raising but we can't abandon the segment of our population.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Looks like TO finally got a Mayor that is on the right track. If he can get control of city expenditures maybe the province will get the message and finally get it expenditures in line.

This will eventually help me so I don't have to give Ontario so much welfare equalization payments! !!

( eerrrrrr, is this ok Ron ??))

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sigh, you just don't get it Durry...if Ontario is removed from the list of recipients, all that means is that the money which would have been going to Ontario is now going to the other provinces on the receiving end of the equalization formula. It won't help you one iota, unless magically all of the provinces suddenly equalize at the same level of revenue generation per capita.

Please go read about the equalization formula and how it is applied. Try these:
Equalization payments in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/collection_2008/lop-bdp/eb/prb0820-e.pdf

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
OK, so where is this 'free internet' to which you refer?
Maybe you can get free dial up but that's about it, except for the library. Libraries need to change a little to meet peoples needs. The people who can't afford books can't afford internet access. If they need to look for a job, that sh1t is all online now. It wouldn't hurt to have libraries have some sort of nominal user fees and do some fund raising but we can't abandon the segment of our population.
The content is free and who these days don't have access to it? If they don't have it they likely don't have access to a library either.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Sigh, unless magically all of the provinces suddenly equalize at the same level of revenue generation per capita.
RL]

*sigh*, the concept of equalization should be abolished. This is a social welfare program ie everybody has equal access to.......etc !!! Get it?

(had to get this in just once Ron !!)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Governments must realize they are a business but not a business. Government is there
to provide services for people that pay taxes for those services and therefore they are in
fact entitled to receive them. When governments start this common sense nonsense it
usually means anything with the exception of common sence.
When you gut a system it means the public is going to pay for this down the road and the
person leading the charge is long gone. Case in point AMERICA, here is a country that
put off investing in infrastructure and its future for nearly two decades. The reason of
course is that there would be lower taxes and more money in peoples pockets in the short
term. The problem is the infrastructure continues to deteriorate and the fixing has to take
place later on down the road when the repairs are harder to do and in most cases they
require replacement. Of course had they repaired things twenty years ago on an ongoing
basis it would have been cheaper than doing so in 2011 dollars and this case inflated dollars
at that making it even more expensive.
Cuts have to be done strategically not across the board. Whipping up sentiment is often a
waste of intelligence as people don't have a bloody clue what the slogans mean and how it
will effect them in coming years. When I hear politicians spouting easy or instant solutions
I don't vote for them, because there are no instant or easy solutions. Putting off needed
projects to save money is the biggest waste of money of all if the project needs to be done.
It just means pushing the envelope down the road and that means You or Your Children will
pay more for the same service later on. From what I have heard and seen of this guy he is a
red neck, blow hard who is a flash in the pan once people figure out what they are in for.
No I am not defending what was there before, but it is not a good policy to go from one extreme
to the other.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The content is free and who these days don't have access to it? If they don't have it they likely don't have access to a library either.

There are many people who use libraries as their access to the internet.

Just because you're not one of them doesn't mean there aren't lots out there.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The bigger picture is there are many things some want our government to do and should never, like run a zoo or theatre.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
This seems to be diverging from the original post, but why would anyone suggest cutting back library services? If any service ever deserved government support it is public libraries. Over the decades I have read literally thousands of books from libraries. I could not even come close to being able to pay for all of them, even if I could resell what I have already read. This was even more true when I was a child and had very limited funds for the purchase of reading material. Of course today, libraries provide more than just reading material. They also provide computer and internet access for those who could not come close to affording a computer on their own.