Kelowna school bans 'I heart boobies' bracelets

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Kelowna school bans 'I heart boobies' bracelets

KELOWNA -- A Kelowna school has joined dozens of others around North America in banning a provocative cancer awareness bracelet.

Spring Valley Middle School principal Troy White has banned students from wearing "I 'heart' boobies" bracelets, a fundraising item for the U.S. based Keep A Breast Foundation. "It's inappropriate again, according to the principal, in terms of the code of conduct at that school," said School District 23 school board chair Rolli Cacchioni.

White deferred calls about the bracelet ban to Superintendent Hugh Gloster, who was out of district with students on a field trip Thursday.

Cacchioni says the board was updated on the ban at Wednesday night's meeting.

The issue of banning the bracelets at all schools in the Central Okanagan was not before trustees.

He says the slang word 'boobies' was deemed to be against school code of conduct rules by the principal. "Because it's a public organization, we have codes of conduct that speak to respectful language, speak to the whole question of appropriate language and the whole use of slang," says Cacchioni.

The Kelowna Boathouse store that sells the bracelets can't keep enough of them in stock. "The people that buy them already have two or three on," says Boathouse sales associate Patrick Watson.

Kimmy McAtee, spokesperson for the Keep A Breast Foundation, says the bracelets are not about pushing boundaries but about teaching young people about the links between health and respecting their bodies early in life.

While the foundation has been using the bracelets as a fundraiser since 2004, they only started to see schools banning them in the last year.

The Keep A Breast foundation helps students challenge school bracelet bans by offering a form letter on their website.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
North America is far too puritan and immature when it comes to anything perceived as being quasi-sexual. Its annoying.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
http://I%20[a%20IMG%20=http://www.kriyayoga.com/love/hearts/herz-23.gif]a

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I question the charitable foundation behind it, wouldn't it make more sense to give your money directly to the charity, not buy a product sold by the charitable foundation that then gives money to the charity? Sounds to me like a bunch of money will get spent on overhead.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I question the charitable foundation behind it, wouldn't it make more sense to give your money directly to the charity, not buy a product sold by the charitable foundation that then gives money to the charity? Sounds to me like a bunch of money will get spent on overhead.

I think the rationale is when people see the bracelet it's a reminder to donate.

I think the more the old fuddy duddies whine about them the more the young people will buy them just to p*ss them off! :lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Its a silly name anyway, couldn't they have thought of something that sounds a little more progressive,
and not so infantile.

I don't really care what the principal does one way or another, but it is his call, his reponsibility,
his right, maybe they could have approached him before they decided to bring them onto school premises,
then they would have known in advance.

I would wear a bracelet bringing awareness to the dangers of breast cancer for sure, but not with a silly
'boobie' name on it, no way.

I would probably even buy one to donate to the good cause, then throw it in a drawer to live forever.

And the guys, rather than seeing them as something positive and helpful, I can just
imagine all the remarks about 'boobies', especially in a school, totally absent from the meaning of the bracelets.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Its a silly name anyway, couldn't they have thought of something that sounds a little more progressive,
and not so infantile.

I don't really care what the principal does one way or another, but it is his call, his reponsibility,
his right, maybe they could have approached him before they decided to bring them onto school premises,
then they would have known in advance.

I would wear a bracelet bringing awareness to the dangers of breast cancer for sure, but not with a silly
'boobie' name on it, no way.

I would probably even buy one to donate to the good cause, then throw it in a drawer to live forever.

And the guys, rather than seeing them as something positive and helpful, I can just
imagine all the remarks about 'boobies', especially in a school, totally absent from the meaning of the bracelets.

I think it's intended to be tongue in cheek, cute.

Maybe not for middle school, but for older teens, college age and adults, yes I can see the humour in it sending the right message and serving to help support the cause.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM I agree with you, the more you make a fuss about them the more young people will
keep the issue in the spotlight. Face it everyone knows the message and these immature
people who don't want to discuss the issue or even mention it, makes the problem much
more of a problem. If there is something wrong, like cancer or some other problem, a young
lady or mother or even a grandmother, won't take the measures needed to save her life
all because people don't want to talk about boobies, as it were.
I wonder what the wrist band will be for saving men from prostate cancer, oh God I don't
think anyone is up for that discussion.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This is just another example of how our rights have been yet again degraded by the big banks and the industrial military complex.

Why are we bombing Libya again?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What?

Yer just blinded by the man, man. Don't you know, of course not, you couldn't know. he's the beginning, the middle and the end man. The man, man.

Wake up, the man is coming for you man.