What will it take to beat Harper? Thomas Mulcair has a few ideas

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

OTTAWA — The New Democratic Party must prove it can manage money better than the Conservatives if it hopes to form the next government, says NDP MP Thomas Mulcair.

"If the approach that we take is one that shows that we are conscious that there are limits to what government can do, then the NDP will win the next election," Mulcair said in an exclusive interview with iPolitics.ca as he prepared to launch his campaign for the NDP's leadership later Thursday.

"If we continue to say what we should spend money on without saying where we will get money from, then I think that the public might look at us and say, 'Well, we don't think that you are going to be able to do this job.'

"So the trick for us is to convince Canadians that we can and do have a team of men and women who can manage the public purse in the public interest and keep things on target with regard to budget and administration."

However, Mulcair conceded many Canadians are skeptical about the NDP's ability to handle the country's government or the economy — in large part because of the example set by Bob Rae, who served as NDP premier of Ontario before later jumping to the federal Liberals where he is now interim leader.

"Rigorous public administration is going to have to be the hallmark of any NDP government. We're going to be watched. People have a very hesitant view with regard to the NDP's ability to actually manage the public purse, that's mostly because the biggest province we have ever managed had huge problems under Bob Rae."

"On the other hand, and it is important to note, that according to the analysis of the Canada's own Finance Department, it's those provinces with NDP governments such as Saskatchewan under Lorne Calvert and B.C and Manitoba, that have had the best track record in terms of prudent public administration and balanced books."

While the Conservatives talk a lot about being good public administrators, their spending has outstripped inflation during the past five years and now they are poised to "chop wildly" at public spending without regard to maintaining services for Canadians, he said. "My concern is that Stephen Harper is not going to have those priorities. That he is going to cut blindly. Instead of using a scalpel, he'll go after public spending with a rusty machete."

Mulcair is well known as Quebec's former environment minister whose refusal to allow condos to be built in a provincial park triggered his departure from cabinet and for his role in improving the NDP's political fortunes in Quebec.

However, it is his track record as a public administrator in Quebec and Manitoba and as head of the Office des Professions where he took on the province's doctors over the alleged sexual abuse of patients that Mulcair will likely highlight as he sets out on his six-month quest for the NDP's top job.

Mulcair will be one of several candidates vying to succeed Jack Layton, including former party president Brian Topp, who has already garnered the support of several prominent members of the NDP and some of the party's top organizers.

The NDP leadership race was barely underway when Mulcair was targeted by a whisper campaign with anonymous sources telling reporters that he is abrasive, hard to get along with, that he isn't a team player.

Mulcair suspects some within the party see him as a threat.

"I have to be very understanding of the fact that the behaviour that I am witnessing where the old guard in the party, the party brass has simply said we don't want anything to change, we don't like the types of changes we have seen, we want to stay with one of our guys."

When Layton assigned him to the "Quebec Project" to grow the NDPs support in Quebec, it also ruffled feathers, said Mulcair.

"The Quebec project threatened a lot of people. You can imagine that some staffers who had gotten used to having very senior positions without having ever made it a priority to learn a single word of French were feeling threatened. You can imagine that people who were comfortable with a much smaller NDP will always feel threatened by somebody who says, 'No, we can actually do this.'"

Mulcair admits his passion for championing causes he believes in and refusing to back down has also earned him some enemies over the years and may have fed the reputation he is abrasive.

While Mulcair would like to see the NDP "become the biggest tent possible for all the progressive forces in Canada," he doesn't see a merger with the Liberals at the current time. "It would be a huge mistake for the NDP to try to merge with the Liberals," he said. "The best thing we can do is offer our own solutions, connect with the Canadian public, convince them that we have a credible track record, that we have good people who are capable of providing prudent public administration. That is the only thing we should be doing.

"I will never be talking during this campaign, directly or indirectly, about merging with the Liberals."

To grow the NDP's support, Mulcair says the party has to maintain its gains in Quebec and work on provinces like Saskatchewan where the party has support but no MPs. "One of the things that we can do is simply acknowledge the fact that in Quebec we now have lots of trees with few roots. In places where we have deep roots, like Saskatchewan, we no longer have any trees. So we have to find out what's been missing in terms of linking with people on the level of their values. That's what we were able to do in Quebec."

In the end, however, NDP members will have to ask themselves a key question, he said. "The most important thing in terms of the question that people have to be asking themselves is who is the best placed to beat Stephen Harper in the next election."

Mulcair now has six months to try to convince New Democrats he's the one who can do that.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

OTTAWA — The New Democratic Party must prove it can manage money better than the Conservatives if it hopes to form the next government, says NDP MP Thomas Mulcair.

"If the approach that we take is one that shows that we are conscious that there are limits to what government can do, then the NDP will win the next election," Mulcair said in an exclusive interview with iPolitics.ca as he prepared to launch his campaign for the NDP's leadership later Thursday.

"If we continue to say what we should spend money on without saying where we will get money from, then I think that the public might look at us and say, 'Well, we don't think that you are going to be able to do this job.'

"So the trick for us is to convince Canadians that we can and do have a team of men and women who can manage the public purse in the public interest and keep things on target with regard to budget and administration."

However, Mulcair conceded many Canadians are skeptical about the NDP's ability to handle the country's government or the economy — in large part because of the example set by Bob Rae, who served as NDP premier of Ontario before later jumping to the federal Liberals where he is now interim leader.

"Rigorous public administration is going to have to be the hallmark of any NDP government. We're going to be watched. People have a very hesitant view with regard to the NDP's ability to actually manage the public purse, that's mostly because the biggest province we have ever managed had huge problems under Bob Rae."

"On the other hand, and it is important to note, that according to the analysis of the Canada's own Finance Department, it's those provinces with NDP governments such as Saskatchewan under Lorne Calvert and B.C and Manitoba, that have had the best track record in terms of prudent public administration and balanced books."

While the Conservatives talk a lot about being good public administrators, their spending has outstripped inflation during the past five years and now they are poised to "chop wildly" at public spending without regard to maintaining services for Canadians, he said. "My concern is that Stephen Harper is not going to have those priorities. That he is going to cut blindly. Instead of using a scalpel, he'll go after public spending with a rusty machete."

Mulcair is well known as Quebec's former environment minister whose refusal to allow condos to be built in a provincial park triggered his departure from cabinet and for his role in improving the NDP's political fortunes in Quebec.

However, it is his track record as a public administrator in Quebec and Manitoba and as head of the Office des Professions where he took on the province's doctors over the alleged sexual abuse of patients that Mulcair will likely highlight as he sets out on his six-month quest for the NDP's top job.

Mulcair will be one of several candidates vying to succeed Jack Layton, including former party president Brian Topp, who has already garnered the support of several prominent members of the NDP and some of the party's top organizers.

The NDP leadership race was barely underway when Mulcair was targeted by a whisper campaign with anonymous sources telling reporters that he is abrasive, hard to get along with, that he isn't a team player.

Mulcair suspects some within the party see him as a threat.

"I have to be very understanding of the fact that the behaviour that I am witnessing where the old guard in the party, the party brass has simply said we don't want anything to change, we don't like the types of changes we have seen, we want to stay with one of our guys."

When Layton assigned him to the "Quebec Project" to grow the NDPs support in Quebec, it also ruffled feathers, said Mulcair.

"The Quebec project threatened a lot of people. You can imagine that some staffers who had gotten used to having very senior positions without having ever made it a priority to learn a single word of French were feeling threatened. You can imagine that people who were comfortable with a much smaller NDP will always feel threatened by somebody who says, 'No, we can actually do this.'"

Mulcair admits his passion for championing causes he believes in and refusing to back down has also earned him some enemies over the years and may have fed the reputation he is abrasive.

While Mulcair would like to see the NDP "become the biggest tent possible for all the progressive forces in Canada," he doesn't see a merger with the Liberals at the current time. "It would be a huge mistake for the NDP to try to merge with the Liberals," he said. "The best thing we can do is offer our own solutions, connect with the Canadian public, convince them that we have a credible track record, that we have good people who are capable of providing prudent public administration. That is the only thing we should be doing.

"I will never be talking during this campaign, directly or indirectly, about merging with the Liberals."

To grow the NDP's support, Mulcair says the party has to maintain its gains in Quebec and work on provinces like Saskatchewan where the party has support but no MPs. "One of the things that we can do is simply acknowledge the fact that in Quebec we now have lots of trees with few roots. In places where we have deep roots, like Saskatchewan, we no longer have any trees. So we have to find out what's been missing in terms of linking with people on the level of their values. That's what we were able to do in Quebec."

In the end, however, NDP members will have to ask themselves a key question, he said. "The most important thing in terms of the question that people have to be asking themselves is who is the best placed to beat Stephen Harper in the next election."

Mulcair now has six months to try to convince New Democrats he's the one who can do that.

Not all of us want to beat him.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He used the "t" word...uh oh.

I already made my beef known in the other threads about the handling of our budget. There was some slight of hand between the two budgets that bracketed the last election. Billions of dollars of cuts are needed now apparently to balance the budget a year earlier, when the original budget showed a deficit of just $300 million in the final year. Billions of dollars to cut a rounding error a year earlier. Something doesn't smell right.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Perhaps stating that Quebec does not get special favors shall we say - Not demanding that Quebec always have 25 % of the seats in Parliament - Not bringing Bill 101 to Fed Depts in Quebec.

Just a few points that will cost him and the NDP in the ROC.

Analysis: Mulcair stokes nationalist fires in NDP race | Full Comment | National Post

In case you haven't noticed, the National was hijacked by conservatives after the latest Ontario provincial election. Kelly McParland is leading the initiative to exaggerate any sentiment that doesn't jive with the status quo.

Globe and Mail has a much better analysis (and received an award for top journalism recently)

The Outremont MP said the NDP must expand beyond its “traditional base” if it wants to replace the current Conservative government, adding that New Democrats must have the courage to “do things differently.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...call-to-do-things-differently/article2199899/

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In case you haven't noticed, the National was hijacked by conservatives after the latest Ontario provincial election. Kelly McParland is leading the initiative to exaggerate any sentiment that doesn't jive with the status quo.

In case you have not noticed the NP holds the Cons feet to the fire as well. And read Kelly some more and others that write for the NP. They do a better job than the Globe.

Oh yes the Globe own 25 % of the NP. Perhaps that is an influence.

Now the points were what Mulcair brought up.

Do you agree or disagree with them. That is the question???

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What will it take to beat Harper?

If the NDP were to abandon adopt conservative values it might be a good place to start.

Maybe they are, lol

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Like I said, he'll be fine. The Quebec stuff is hugely overstated.

And if it does become some serious talking point that affects his chances, he'll address it.

Really - I doubt it - He staked out his position early on some critical points - Then we have the other NDP policy of 50% plus 1 for seperation. Guess that would go over well in Que but not the ROC.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Really - I doubt it - He staked out his position early on some critical points - Then we have the other NDP policy of 50% plus 1 for seperation. Guess that would go over well in Que but not the ROC.

We'll see. They need to stake out Quebec first and then start working federally.

Four years is a lot of time to build a good reputation, and it doesn't look like the conservatives are gaining much traction any time soon.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We'll see. They need to stake out Quebec first and then start working federally.

4 years is a lot of time to build a good reputation, and it doesn't look like the conservatives are gaining much traction any time soon.

The have to stake out a National Policy - Not Quebec first - Not Ontario first - A National Policy - Starting with beggering up to Quebec will haunt the NDP, along with their 50% plus 1 in the ROC.
You cannot keep on changing horses like Rommney is the US.

Last poll show Harper 10 points ahead.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Their Quebec policy will cost them. Catering always comes with a cost.

He's a pretty charismatic guy and I don't think many in the NDP caucus think of him unfavourably on a federal level. I mean, just look at the interim leader, Turmel. She was formerly a separatist and NDP support (within the caucus and the public) hasn't dropped at all since she was put in.

In fact, it's gone up.

The Quebec thing truly is an overblown issue.

Also, it's not like he's a habs fan.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He's a pretty charismatic guy and I don't think many in the NDP caucus think of him unfavourably on a federal level. I mean, just look at the interim leader, Turmel. She was formerly a separatist and NDP support (within the caucus and the public) hasn't dropped at all since she was put in.

In fact, it's gone up.

The Quebec thing truly is an overblown issue.

Also, it's not like he's a habs fan.

He is building his power base - He is not going to win - Hopefulle Dewar - Is that the felllows name from BC???
But he is also a loose cannon.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think the NDP would have to serve two, maybe even three terms as official opposition before Canadians would be comfortable with handing them the reins. This is the NDP's first kick at the can as official opposition, I can't see Canadian's being bold enough to throw them the Country.

And of course there is the Liberal's to consider, if they are to gain back ground that will hurt the NDP's bid significantly.

A third thing to consider is that if the conservatives don't completely shoot themselves in the foot with the majority I would bet a beer that they will be back for a second round.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A third thing to consider is that if the conservatives don't completely shoot themselves in the foot with the majority I would bet a beer that they will be back for a second round.

I think this is the big factor. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.

However, I would be somewhat more comfortable with an NDP govt than a Liberal one. At least with the NDP they are pretty clear about what their policies are. The Liberals, you are never sure as they seem to change in the wind.