Report suggests multi-billion dollar investment into poverty management program

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canadians cover $24-billion a year in poverty costs: report

OTTAWA — The federal government should make a billion-dollar investment to eradicate the root causes of poverty, or face billions more in ongoing expenses, a new report says.

Poverty costs taxpayers more than $24-billion a year, said the report, which was released Wednesday from a federal government advisory board, the National Council of Welfare.

The federal government should take the lead and create a sustained, Canada-wide poverty investment program that co-ordinates resources at all levels of government, the report says.

The initial investment could be in the billions of dollars, the report suggests, which says it would be worth the expense in the long run.

A large cash investment today would reduce poverty costs to taxpayers in the ensuing years, the council says. “In an investment model, the more resources devoted to preventing poverty and directly lifting people out of poverty, the greater the payoff would be for all Canadians in reduced health-care and other indirect costs,” says the report, titled The Dollars and Sense of Solving Poverty.

“An investment model is geared towards the longer term. It may require larger initial resources and may take time, but there will be a far greater and more permanent payoff.”

Governments should focus public spending on prevention programs such as income supplements and affordable housing, which are cheaper than reactionary measures such as emergency shelters, the council says.

For example, the cost of keeping one person in a shelter in Calgary for one year can be as much as $42,000, the report says. A one-year stay in a prison or psychiatric hospital can cost as much as $120,000, the report says.

Supportive housing, where residents can access services, costs as much as $18,000 a year per person, the report says, while affordable housing can cost government as much as $8,000 a year per person.

Investing in prescription-drug plans to make medicine more affordable could improve the health of those with low incomes, the report says, and reduce visits to emergency rooms, which eat up greater portions of taxpayers’ dollars. “An approach based on short-term spending to help people in poverty get by can often carry indirect costs. It does not do a good job of reducing poverty itself,” the report says.

“In medical terms, this is like getting half a dose of antibiotic and having your infection ease up for a little while, only to return worse than it was before.”

Canadians cover $24-billion a year in poverty costs: report | News | National Post

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Seeing all the cutbacks at all levels of government, I find it unlikely that something like this would ever happen. Those are the exact types of programs that get cut first it seems.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Seeing all the cutbacks at all levels of government, I find it unlikely that something like this would ever happen. Those are the exact types of programs that get cut first it seems.
We should just build even more prisons rather than investing in antipoverty measures. That way we don't have to see the poor.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We should just build even more prisons rather than investing in antipoverty measures. That way we don't have to see the poor.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I'm not suggesting that... Or he could take the money used to build these prisons and invest it into job creation or whatever support these people need.

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Naive Statement:
Ha, the majority of the crime where I live stems from drug abuse, assuming the people in question actually honestly cared about drug rehabilitation, they would hopefully get better and thus possibly maintain steady work (assuming an employer would look twice at them) and in the end lower the poverty rate. but this is all heresay so , the people I see down here dont look like they want to, or can change >__>

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A multi billion dollar program to 'manage' poverty will only work if the people hired on this program are the poor. But I have a feeling that the people hired will be people with degrees in administration, political science, etc...skip the pointless paper pushers, and just pay poor people to do nothing. The results would be better.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah, BS that is costing us billions.
It is?

And here I thought it was over crowding. Decapitated facilities and a need for facilities that will meet consistently, statistically proven per capita growth in crime.

Who knew all that was BS?!

I guess we can start shoving prisoners back into the Don now. The stories about it are all BS.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There was a 'disturbance' in our local jail here the other day, and it turns out that the reason for the 'disturbance' is that under the new system, supper is served at 4pm, and there is no food available after that (except what can be purchased from vending machines) until 8am the next day (on weekdays), or 10am on weekends.

Let's see, you expect the prisoners to go without food from 4pm until 10am? No surprise there would be some upset people.

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
There was a 'disturbance' in our local jail here the other day, and it turns out that the reason for the 'disturbance' is that under the new system, supper is served at 4pm, and there is no food available after that (except what can be purchased from vending machines) until 8am the next day (on weekdays), or 10am on weekends.

Let's see, you expect the prisoners to go without food from 4pm until 10am? No surprise there would be some upset people.

Mhm, I agree with this wholeheartedly, In my years, I've done some time in correctional facilities, nothing longer then a month due to mistaken identity, but the hunger and solitude nearly drove me mad, so yes, that would be cause for a disturbance in my opinion >_>