Six Nations Business grows from "Dish with one Spoon

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Six Nations Business grows from "Dish with one Spoon

Six Nations businesses need to organize to protect themselves, lawyer Aaron Detlor told a business meeting. “The challenge facing Six Nations business people today,” he said, “is how you can organize to protect yourself and advance your interests." The Turtle Island Trade and Commerce sponsored a business meeting recently that drew over 50 local businesses. Detlor, the guest speaker, told the group not so long ago," there was no business in North America without the Haudenosaunee." The contrast between the thriving trade of the past - the Haudenosaunee had at least 15 different trade routes and specialized in 10 different trades - with today's economic isolation is startling. He said the Haudenosaunee Development Institute (HDI) and Confederacy were working on identifying the extent of pre-colonial Haudenosaunee economic systems, as well as identifying "treaties where there were business relationships." He told the meeting the Haudenosaunee were once economically independent, but colonialism bolstered by neo-colonialism saw the destruction of trading partnerships that had existed for hundreds of years. Neo-colonialism threatens attempts to forge new trading partnerships,he said. He said the recent Imperial Tobacco lawsuit against First Nation manufacturers is an example of that. Imperial Tobacco has launched third party claims against about a dozen First Nations tobacco manufacturers from Quebec and Ontario. The big five are seeking to draw First Nations into Ontario’s $50 billion lawsuit against the major five. That suit seeks damages for health care related costs resulting from what Ontario says are tobacco related illnesses. The five corporations claim First Nation manufacturers should also be liable. The “Big Five” are also suing First Nation manufacturers for what it describes as illegal competition. "Imperial Tobacco," Detlor said, "is saying Indian status exemptions are a criminal conspiracy to get money." Tobacco has been part of the Haudenosaunee traditional economy since before contact. He says it is the new Ontario tobacco tax act that has been created to circumvent that legal right. "We can't have Indians making money," he said.

Turtle Island News

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Big business and the Ontario gov't don't like it when lil Injins start making money and getting a little power.

Bullshyte. Ontario is trying to get more tax money, and Imperial tobacco wants to spread the damage around a little more so they don't have to pay so much. No big conspiracy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bullshyte. Ontario is trying to get more tax money, and Imperial tobacco wants to spread the damage around a little more so they don't have to pay so much. No big conspiracy.

If you think the province and the big five are at arms length my friend, you haven't been following along to carefully.

The big five can't drag in companies like GRE, unless the province forces GRE off the res and into the market.

The two entities need each other, to bring companies like GRE to heel.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm curious as to what the connection is between "Dish with one Spoon" and the present fight between the First Nations tobacco company's and the "big five"?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm curious as to what the connection is between "Dish with one Spoon" and the present fight between the First Nations tobacco company's and the "big five"?
Are you seriously asking? Or are you fishing, in hopes I don't know the significance of the Hiawatha belt?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Are you seriously asking? Or are you fishing, in hopes I don't know the significance of the Hiawatha belt?

Ok Bear, now I'm getting confused. The Dish with one spoon wampum belt is a different belt from the Hiawatha belt and signifies different things.

The Dish with one spoon
This belt is said to represent the idea that all of the hunting lands of the Haudenosaunee were meant to be shared and that there should be no blood letting over hunting disputes. In 1887, Chief John Buck described this wampum belt ; "All white except for a round purple patch in the center. This represents all 'Indians' on this continent. They have entered into one great league and contract that they will all be one and have one heart. The pot in the center is a dish of beaver, indicating that they will have one dish and what belongs to one will belong to all."

The Hiawatha

Hayewatha Belt or Five Nations Territorial Belt A broad dark belt of wampum of thirty-eight rows, having a white heart in the centre, on either side of which are two white squares all connected with the heart by white rows of beads shall be the emblem of the Unity of the Five Nations. The first of the squares on the left represents the Mohawk Nation and its territory, the second square on the left represents the Oneida Nation and its territory, the white tree of peace in the middle represents the Onondaga Nation and its territory, and it also means that the heart of the Five Nations is single in its loyalty to the Great Peace. The white square to the right of the heart represents the Cayuga Nation and its territory, and the fifth and last white square, represents the Seneca Nation and its territory.

Now, again I ask, what or where is the connection to the on going tobacco dispute?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ok Bear, now I'm getting confused. The Dish with one spoon wampum belt is a different belt from the Hiawatha belt and signifies different things.
My bad, I was distracted with poking Eddy, and didn't finish the thought.

The two belts are harmonious, and are about unity/equality.

The Hiawatha belt is the unification of the Five Nations, while the One Dish, One Spoon belt signifies the equality of the Nations of the Hiawatha belt.

Now, again I ask, what or where is the connection to the on going tobacco dispute?
It isn't the first time it's been said that Haudenosaunee business, as well as authorities, need to unify. They need to develop and adhere to a sound regulatory framework. Before the province forces one upon them.

Hence the reference.

Here...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/100738-ontario-big-tobacco-target-first.html

Six Nations needs to start regulating its businesses and industry, including its lucrative tobacco industry, or face imposition of provincial jurisdicition here Six Nations Band council was warned Monday.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ahhhh...ok. I can see that now.

Now, for YOUR interpretation of the 2 belts..... hee hee hee..... The Dish with one spoon belt goes well beyond the 5 nations. It expands on the Hiawatha belt by including ALL First Nations people in North America, not just the 5 Nations of the Haudenosaunee.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ahhhh...ok. I can see that now.
I figured you would.

Now, for YOUR interpretation of the 2 belts..... hee hee hee..... The Dish with one spoon belt goes well beyond the 5 nations. It expands on the Hiawatha belt by including ALL First Nations people in North America, not just the 5 Nations of the Haudenosaunee.
Ya, in a time when the "Noble Savage" was at great heights.

His was his own interpretation. Not necessarily that of the entire Five/Six Nations.

Here's some further reading.

http://hetf.org/index.php?option=co...tid=52:the-great-lakes&Itemid=84&limitstart=2

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I would say that Chief Buck was ahead of his time and that his words and interpretation should be considered.