Canada will not shy from using force, Harper warns world dictators

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ooooo...they're scared.

It's easier to fight above your weight class with the U.S. and NATO backing you up. One shouldn't be too boastful either Steve.

TRAPANI, Italy — Prime Minister Stephen Harper warned dictators of the world Thursday that Canada will not shy from using force to oust them, even as he told Canadian troops here that their role in Libya is not yet finished.
"There is, I am afraid, as we have just been briefed, still fighting to be done," Harper said in a strident address to several hundred Canadian soldiers at this military airfield in southern Italy. "And undoubtedly, there will be, even after that, difficult days ahead."
Canada currently has about 655 troops, seven CF-18 fighter jets, three refuelling aircraft and the naval frigate HMCS Vancouver assigned to the NATO-led mission in Libya, which began in March.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Look out Kim Jong Il, you're next!

Seriously though, I think Harper is a little unrealistic about our military capabilities.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I usually clamor for Harper to be more transparent, but in this case, I would have preferred if he just shut his yap.

If we need to use force, we use force.

No need to wake a sleeping dog by parading the fact beforehand. Some might consider this a "deliberate provocation" .. *smirks*

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Whoa. However Canada has sent their troops to a lot of places over the years. I do not think it is anything new except the boasting part.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It's kind of embarrassing. I mean Harper sounds like a stuffed shirt.. with a motto of.. speak loudly and carry a small stick. :rolleyes:

that is so embarrassing. Pontificating like that. He makes a fool of himself ....in trying to sound aggressive USA style.

what a horses patoot.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Without all the silly rhetoric...

Can someone tell me why Harper saying this, is bad?

Do you people like dictators or something?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Like I said in the forums when he got a majority.

This is the beginning of the end for him and the conservatives.

With a minority government he would not have said stuff like this.

That's a very "none Canadian like" coment on his part.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Yeah, we are really all Peace Keepers - Do some research on the cold war - 1980`s - troops we had in Europe and how many we had Peace Keeping -

Next the FRY - Look at how well that worked - google Medak Pocket - we - Canadian Soldiers stopped a massacre - how - by talking and saying, now don`t do that, that not right ya know, - No - By fighting -Receiving a UN Commendation for it - and Yes the Liberals hid it all from the public. Why did they hide it - Because people think all we do is go around, drive white UN Marked vehicles and set up freaking rabbit ranches. Can`t be shooting back ya know - Why someone could lose an eye, and then what. Oh My.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What is "Canadian like"?

A common word for people that cannot think of a word over 4 letters. Words usually escape them. Now throw in a prefix before a word to really fuk them up.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Was listening to the power and politics podcast and they were discussing the rhetoric as well. The Liberal guy basically said that this what happens in a Conservative government. The NDP guy said that Liberals were actually the same in Kosovo, Bosnia, etc.. The difference is that conservatives are open about their military escapades. So I would guess in many ways, this is just business as usual for us.

Not something one would consider "Canadian like" at face value, but we've pretty been good until now at hiding our militant underbelly with lots of maple syrup and Zamboni. That, and most people don't really care beyond maple syrup and Zamboni anyway.