Desert Lions: Canadian Forces Mentors in Kandahar

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Excellent documentary, I wasn't aware that it existed. I spent 8 months in 2008 serving as part of an OMLT team, and this film shows the brutal reality of what it's like living in a small team of Canadians, attempting to mentor and fight with Afghan National Army. I haven't had a chance to watch it all yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. In my opinion the guys who served with the OMLT contributed the most to this war. It's easy for a Battle Group of Canadians to roll through Panjwayi and crush resistance. It's another thing all together to impart knowledge as a professional soldier, onto a people learning the basics. Furthermore we could be involved in a brutal slugfest in Afghanistan for decades, whereas the OMLT is our exit strategy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Excellent documentary, I wasn't aware that it existed. I spent 8 months in 2008 serving as part of an OMLT team, and this film shows the brutal reality of what it's like living in a small team of Canadians, attempting to mentor and fight with Afghan National Army. I haven't had a chance to watch it all yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. In my opinion the guys who served with the OMLT contributed the most to this war. It's easy for a Battle Group of Canadians to roll through Panjwayi and crush resistance. It's another thing all together to impart knowledge as a professional soldier, onto a people learning the basics. Furthermore we could be involved in a brutal slugfest in Afghanistan for decades, whereas the OMLT is our exit strategy.

I watched that documentary and I was shocked by the surliness of the Afghans we were trying to menter. I wouldn't have trusted any of the Aghanis with a rifle behind me. I was just glad that
all the Canadian soldiers we saw in the film made it safely home with the exception of the lieutenant who was wounded and died in hospital

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I watched that documentary and I was shocked by the surliness of the Afghans we were trying to menter. I wouldn't have trusted any of the Aghanis with a rifle behind me. I was just glad that
all the Canadian soldiers we saw in the film made it safely home with the exception of the lieutenant who was wounded and died in hospital
It's not so much surliness, more so pride. Afghans are a very prideful people and have a hard time accepting advice, even if it is constructive. Couple that with a society that lacks any clearly defined work ethic and it makes for a serious challenge training them. I had no problem trusting my Afghan counter-parts. The vast majority of them are dedicated soldiers who really want to see an Afghanistan free from violence. Every member of the ANSF is a volunteer, and while they may not be the most professional soliders on the planet, I must say they're some of the bravest and most loyal individuals I have ever met.