Harper commits to listen to Opposition/Canadians

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Government to listen to all Canadians: Harper

YELLOWKNIFE — Prime Minister Stephen Harper says his Conservative government will respond to Canadians and to the elected opposition, despite a majority mandate and the absence of any permanent opposition leader in the House of Commons.

Harper, in Yellowknife as part of a four-day northern tour, was responding to questions about the death of the NDP's Jack Layton and the unusual absence of any permanent political counterweight on the opposition benches.

"The government's position has always been that the government governs for everyone," Harper said during a media availability at a Yellowknife hospital, where he announced extended territorial health funding Thursday. "The government provides a clear direction in what we know are troubled economic times around the world, and the government is prepared to adapt and listen to the Canadian population when necessary."

After seven years of Liberal and Conservative minority rule, the Tories won a clear majority in May that had them boasting of an unfettered mandate for weeks afterward.

But there's been no such partisan chest-thumping in the aftermath of Layton's death, which has sparked a national outpouring of grief. The Liberals are led by interim leader Bob Rae, while the Bloc Quebecois has only two seats and is leaderless. When the Commons returns next month, Harper will be looking across the aisle at three parties in search of permanent standard-bearers to take them into the 2015 federal election.

Harper said he's won three successive elections "because the government does what it says it will do."

But he said a mandate does not simply come from the day-to-day manoeuvring in Parliament. "We remain the government because we maintain the confidence of the Canadian population. That involves listening to the population and involves listening to the opposition," he said.

Harper argued that with more than 140 opposition seats in the 308-seat Commons, the NDP and Liberals have "plenty of tools to delay passage of government measures.

"So we either have to, in some cases, make some compromises or pick our priorities."

The prime minister granted a state funeral to Layton that will be held Saturday in Toronto. Harper and his wife Laureen will attend, with the prime minister flying directly to Toronto from his last tour stop in Haines Junction, Yukon, on Friday.

Harper sought to reassure those Canadians concerned that his Conservative government faces no serious opposition in implementing its agenda.

"I think the checks are there and we will certainly do our best to listen to the opposition and try and accommodate them when we believe they're making requests that are in the best interests of the country," he said.

Government to listen to all Canadians: Harper - CTV News

Gun registry still to be scrapped?
National prisons to be put on hold?
F-35s to be dropped?
Greater focus on the environment and science funding?

I wonder what this means.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A whole lot of political hot air. The truth is in the qualifier "adapt and listen to the Canadian population when necessary." Probably should read IF necessary.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The government always listens to all citizens and work in the best interests of all Canadians. Whether or not they care to heed what those with opposing views tell them is a different story.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
What too many people don't realize is that not all Canadians a) share their priorities or b) agree with their idea of what needs to be done on those priority issues, thus the gov't won't and can't always be as responsive to them as they want. I have no doubt Harper and Co will listen, but like every other majority and most minorities, in the end they will pick their priorities and act on them as they see fit, for better or for worse.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What too many people don't realize is that not all Canadians a) share their priorities or b) agree with their idea of what needs to be done on those priority issues, thus the gov't won't and can't always be as responsive to them as they want. I have no doubt Harper and Co will listen, but like every other majority and most minorities, in the end they will pick their priorities and act on them as they see fit, for better or for worse.

If all Canadians did share the priorities and agree with what needs to be done, why would we bother to hold elections?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Democracy, works.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What a lode of B u l l s h i t !! Was he handing out free hot dogs while lieing to the people of Yellowknife? I've been there, I know what it's like to stand there with hot dog in hand while the prick lies to hundreds of people.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Only when your side wins.

It's not sides it's democracy. When the Liberals ruled the Country it was still democracy then.

What a lode of B u l l s h i t !! Was he handing out free hot dogs while lieing to the people of Yellowknife? I've been there, I know what it's like to stand there with hot dog in hand while the prick lies to hundreds of people.

Hot dogs and bum darts. You are on a roll with the metaphors. :smile: