CBC hires ex-Bloc leader Duceppe

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
CBC hires ex-Bloc leader Duceppe

MONTREAL - Former Bloc Quebecois head Gilles Duceppe said he doesn't think there is anything controversial about an ex-soveregnist leader working at the state broadcaster.

Duceppe starts work as a columnist for the French CBC next week.

“Pierre Bourgault worked for years at Radio-Canada,” he said of the late sovereigntist politician who worked in the Party Quebecois in its infancy. A former PQ leader, Rene Levesque, as well as its current president, Raymond Archambault, were also on the French CBC, Duceppe added.

“(The CBC) also belongs to the Quebec society,” he said. “Quebec pays taxes.”

His weekly morning segment, called “La Performance de la Semaine” (The Week's Performance), debuts next Thursday on the show Premiere Chaine.

He said viewers shouldn’t expect him to argue about who is the best singer or politician. Duceppe said this topics will “make you think.”

Topics such as the current financial crisis in the United States and Europe, the development of Canada's Arctic or the health and education systems, he said.

“How many times do we hear that the school system isn't working,” he said, as an example. “However, every year my wife, who is a principal in a school in a disadvantaged neighbourhood, puts on an opera that her students created. It's incredible.”

Duceppe has always maintained that he doesn't have a career plan and he said that hasn't changed.

He added that he isn't particularly interested in hosting an entire show either, like Mario Dumont, the former leader of the Action Democratique du Quebec, who resigned in 2008.

Even if Duceppe is used to talking in front of the camera, the former sovereigntist leader isn't assuming he's going to be good on the radio. He said he's been on one side of the microphone and now as a columnist, “the people will judge.”

Watchdogs question Duceppe

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Make sure it isn't being broadcasted in French or your just contributing to the problem.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What a parasite.... how would he ever be able to live such a luxurious life if he cut off the hand that feeds him?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Duceppe is intelligent, articulate and has charisma. He'll do well in any media he chooses. I don't think it will take long before he graduates to TV. Although his focus was on Quebec while in parliament, he knew more about what was going on in Canada and parliamentary procedures than 90% of the other parliamentarians.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Duceppe steps down from CBC

"Following a misunderstanding about the nature of its mandate, Gilles Duceppe has chosen not to be a weekly columnist for the show," the Radio-Canada said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.
This is a developing story. Keep watching Sun News Network for more information.

Sun News : Duceppe steps down from CBC

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's a shame.

I could have had a lot of fun with the right-wing free speechists calling for his termination.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Radio Canada (CBC French) is a weird organization which, if I recall correctly, had several former FLQ members working for it, so nothing surprises me.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Not that I'm right wing, but I am a "free speechist"....

Why would I have an issue with this?

Hey, I'm just saying there's an easy hypocrisy that could take place here.

You could say the same of someone from the left who would be a self-proclaimed free speecher, but wants to silence O'Reilly.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey, I'm just saying there's an easy hypocrisy that could take place here.
I agree. You would be an expert on the matter. Since you've been the purveyor of a considerable amount of hypocrisy fodder for me to play with.

Thanks by the way.

You could say the same of someone from the left who would be a self-proclaimed free speecher, but wants to silence O'Reilly.
Or defends the vile act of threatening freedom of the press. Complete with all the usual mocking.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I agree. You would be an expert on the matter. Since you've been the purveyor of a considerable amount of hypocrisy fodder for me to play with.

Thanks by the way.

Or defends the vile act of threatening freedom of the press. Complete with all the usual mocking.

Would that be every time someone posts a Sun News video?;-)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I hope neither of you actually believe forum-based mockery to be threatening the freedom of the press. If that were the case, DaS and Colpy would have shut down the CBC by now.

This isn't about free speech. It's state-sponsored speech.

How is that any worse than corporate sponsored speech?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It has been a well known tactic of the left to either use the words bigot or racist or ridicule to stifle the speech of any opposition.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I was thinking more of Happy Ending Jack and his hollow threats.

Have you noticed the lack of follow up on that topic?

This isn't about free speech. It's state-sponsored speech.
When you say state sponsored, are you being specific to that fact that they are merely funded by the Gov't?

Or influenced?

It has been a well known tactic of the left to either use the words bigot or racist or ridicule to stifle the speech of any opposition.
To true.

This is why some people label me a lefty. The difference being I exhaust all avenues before I place that label on someone.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I'm not going to vouch for the validity of any claim by left, right, up, or down, of calling others racists, bigots, bums or bourgeoise - but you do realize that it's hypocritical to say that someone who is offensive is stifling speech and then condemn them not to speak, right?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not going to vouch for the validity of any claim by left, right, up, or down, of calling others racists, bigots, bums or bourgeoise - but you do realize that it's hypocritical to say that someone who is offensive is stifling speech and then condemn them not to speak, right?
Correct, which is why neither DaS, Colpy, nor I would do that.