Jack Layton Once Again battling Cancer

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Jack Layton just announced in a press conference that he has been diagnosed with another form of non-prostrate cancer. I was struck by how weak he looked and how feeble his voice sounded. An interim leader will be appointed and announced in the coming weeks.

I wish Jack all the best and am truly sorry to hear that his battle with cancer is not yet over. Good luck to Jack and his family.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
He looks like a skeleton in a suit. Its disturbing. I hope he makes it though. I haven't heard his voice or seen the video, just the picture and read the statement. Most leaders under that circumstance would've stepped down completely. He must have a good chance of making it if he is describing it as a "leave of absence".

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
He looks like a skeleton in a suit. Its disturbing. I hope he makes it though. I haven't heard his voice or seen the video, just the picture and read the statement. Most leaders under that circumstance would've stepped down completely. He must have a good chance of making it if he is describing it as a "leave of absence".

I don't think he wants to set off panic within his party by saying he's going to die...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They have 4 years before the next election. Lots of time to get things together if he leaves permanently.

Yes, but with a fresh bunch of MP's like he has, it's probably best no to rock the boat too much at this point. I hope he gets better anyways.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I went onto MSN/Sympatico at lunch and read that he had called a press conference for this afteroon. I knew immediately this was going to be announcement. So very sad, I wish him the best.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
This news, although not surprising, saddens the hell out of me. Just when he was on the cusp,...............maybe............He looks completely haggard, and if he beats it twice, well, politics is draining even to a healthy man. Go Jack!!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Like him or not, he was the only politician in the last election with any balls and charisma. The strain he was under has taken its tole. Sad. He deserves a long life. He has served his country well. Live long and prosper, Jack!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Layton stepping aside as he battles new cancer
Layton stepping aside as he battles new cancer - CTV News

NDP Leader Jack Layton announces he has a new cancer and will take a leave as leader of NDP during a press conference in Toronto on Monday, July 25, 2011.

He has lost some weight since the election.... it is unfortunate that he has to face this yet again, but my hats off to him. Regardless of other people's views of his politcal views and his party, he has battled through a lot to get where he is, he has always come off to me as someone devoted to his job, those he represents and one of the few "Good Politicians" in recent years.

Flawed, yes.... everybody is, but he's been unique amongst most of the others, when it comes to character and his focus on his job.

"I salute the courage (Jack Layton) continues to show in his fight against cancer. I wish Jack a successful recovery," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on his Twitter account.

Liberal interim leader Bob Rae said he was "deeply saddened by the news.

"All we can say is we wish him the very best for his recovery and I guess on a personal level I think he is making the right decision to take a complete break from politics," he told CTV News Channel. "Obviously, this has got to be is focus."

Green Leader Elizabeth May said on Twitter that she was "praying for (Layton's) full recovery. As are all Canadians."

And my hats off to the other party leaders for their support.

Best of luck.

The NDP also put up a page on their site to send your well wishes & support:

Leave Jack Layton your get-well message

I sent the following:
"I moved to Australia from Nova Scotia back in Jan. and for some reason I was not able to vote in the last election. If I could, I certainly would have continued to support the NDP and I am glad to see that you and the party made great strides to get where you are today in the government, even without my vote and even through all the trials you have been facing during that time.

Having a number of family members who've battled through Cancer and my father-in-law passing away no more than a month after the wedding from mesothelioma from work-related issues in the past, I know how much of a struggle and how difficult it is to face such a thing as cancer, for both the individual and their families. My hat is off to you for your accomplishments and your determination during your last fight. You have inspired many people with your optimism and your spirit, just as you continue to do today. Regardless of other people's views of your & the NDP's politcal views, nobody can dispute how hard you have worked to get where you are today, you have always come off to me as someone devoted to his job, those he represents and one of the few "Good Politicians" in recent years who never seemed to be one of those who are just there for themselves or their party.... but for the people which our government is supposed to be about.

Take your time, spend your energy on this new battle, spend it with your firends and family and do your best not to focus too much on the job. I'm sure there will be plenty to focus on when you get back.

No ammount of words can do justice in this time, but keep in mind that thousands of people & more, from all political backgrounds, within and without the nation of Canada are rooting for you at this time and focusing their prayers, wishes, hopes and karma your way for a positive end to this chapter you are going through in your book of life.

Looking forward to seeing you back in Parliament, sticking it to the other guys and making sure they're kept in check."

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This news, although not surprising, saddens the hell out of me. Just when he was on the cusp,...............maybe............He looks completely haggard, and if he beats it twice, well, politics is draining even to a healthy man. Go Jack!!

I'm not sure he was on the cusp of anything. My guess is that the Quebecors will likely kill the NDP in the next election once they realize that they have handed the reins to a bunch of light weights. And they will.

Like him or not, he was the only politician in the last election with any balls and charisma. The strain he was under has taken its tole. Sad. He deserves a long life. He has served his country well. Live long and prosper, Jack!

He actually looked quite sick during the election. I remember his eye was sagging and he seemed somewhat ill, but I attributed that to his meds and treatment Perhaps the new cancer was kicking the hell out of him. At any rate I truly feel bad for him, tough enough to face one cancer, but now he's been hit again and it looks like it is taking its toll.

I hope he perseveres, but he looks like he has one hell of an uphill battle.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
To think that he beats off prostate cancer and then this comes along. I hope he recovers soon.

Unfortunately, I don't think he will recover this time. He looked like a skeleton when he was resigning from his post. What a horrible way to die.:(

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unfortunately, I don't think he will recover this time. He looked like a skeleton when he was resigning from his post. What a horrible way to die.:(
The voice and the thousand-yard eyes in his news conference are things I've seen before - up close and personal. You're right. It's not a nice way to go. The election wasn't in Jack's best interest....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I can see what you mean but we have to stay away from those thoughts, hoping for a miracle!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I can see what you mean but we have to stay away from those thoughts, hoping for a miracle!

I agree totally, JLM. Unfortunately for those who are battling cancer it is the treatment that they undergo which devastates the body just as much as the cancer. Their immune systems take such a bit hit from the chemo and other cancer drugs. Jack's a fighter but he is going to need every ounce of courage he has to fight through this - Gaia bless him.